View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #850
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Over the weekend, some friends and I had a 1980s young adult fantasy cheesefest with Labyrinth (1986) and Return to Oz (1985).

It's so great that Labyrinth was made; it really is--especially with Bowie's readily evident, positive involvement. Man, that guy looks like he is having fun kidnapping a baby and seducing a teen and singing about goblins. Speaking of which, what fun is it being the Goblin King, really? You hang out with a bunch of creepy creatures and wear bad makeup and a codpiece? How is that different from the 80s overall?

And then there's Return to Oz, which, upon re-viewing, is a better film to discuss than to watch. "Yeah, man, it's a post-apocalyptic Oz! Dorothy's friends are all dead and she meets a head-hunting witch and a stupid couch and a whirling copper war machine. Plus, Dorothy gets sent to an insane asylum where she gets electro-shock treatment." Sounds cool, yeah? Well, then you watch it and none of the character moments are truly earned, the plot is slapdash, and the ending has absolutely none of the emotional weight as its predecessor. Look, it's impossible for any "Oz" film to live up to the original (and sure, I know Return was based on the second and third books, blah), but the fact that they couldn't do any better than this is pretty sad.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote