Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 05-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

My next Euro order will be...

I'm a bit short on inspiration here,so I thought I'd post my next order.It's with different companies.The total of these discs will be at around €100 (=$120).
Opinions?
  • Seven Bood-Stained Orchids (Lenzi)
  • Spasmo (Lenzi)
  • Eyeball (Lenzi)
  • Stimme Des Todes/Watch Me When I Kill (Bido)
  • Die Schwanz Des Skorpions/Case Of The Scorpion's Tail (Martino) not yet released
  • Autopsy (Crispino)
Or should I include one of my other wishlist items?:
  • Blutige Seide (Bava,€40)
  • Phantom Of Death
  • The Black Cat (Fulci)
I've never seen Blood And Black Lace before so I'm a bit hesitant to buy the Expensive German disc.Just afraid it isn't as good as people claim.For the same amount of money I can buy three other titles.

Last edited by Crystal Plumage; 05-25-2004 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Changed Martino in Bido...
Crystal Plumage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Yowie
Hologram

"Eyeball" is good, fine score, bloody murders, and John "Torso" Richardson - enough to recommed it, right ?. The German DVD has a nice picture too. "Autopsy" (with a bewigged Mimsy Farmer) grows on you, I didn't like it first but the ending is very exciting. "Spasmo" is pretty weak IMO, an odd thriller and the acting by all involved is not exactly world class, but what do you expect. Suzy Kendall is certainly nice to behold, but that's about it. "Black Cat" is a classic, should be in all DVD collections while "...Orchids" was interesting but I felt Lenzi could've done more with the story. I'd get all these if I were you, they all have something going for them making them worth it. "Phantom Of Death" I've just ordered myself.
Yowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
Andrew

Seven Bood-Stained Orchids is a very good thriller with some classic giallo moments. It's an engaging story with some likeable characters and one that I'd definitely recommend getting.

Spasmo I also really enjoyed. A lot of people find it very slow, but I became immersed in the plot after the first 15 minutes. The ending is fantastic too.

Eyeball disappointed me a little. There are some okay kills and interesting set pieces (the one on the little carnival ride comes to mind), but as a whole it didn't interest me as much as Lenzi's other gialli. Still above average though, and worth checking out.

Autopsy was pretty good also, with some AWESOME and imaginitive scenes that you'll notice when you watch it. Farmer is easy on the eyes and the script moves along well. Not too bloody though, if I recall correctly (it's been a while, I could be very wrong).

BLOOD AND BLACK LACE is an awesome, awesome film. It was one of the forerunners that set the standards for gialli to come and has a truly great script. There are a ton of characters but none go to waste, and it's fun from start to finish. I didn't bother upgrading to the German disc (I'd rather spend $40+ on new films) but the VCI disc is okay by me. If they re-release it (it's been rumored) I may snag a better disc.

The Black Cat is a film that I always wanted to enjoy but could never quite get into. The music is fantastic and the direction is good, but I could never connect with any of the characters. We kind of bounce back and forth between 3 people and it doesn't really work to the film's advantage in my opinion. It's still an average movie but not one of Fulci's better pictures.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
Crystal Plumage

So I guess I'll stick with my original order then.
I read alot of good reviews of these movies and they got me really interested.
And for now I just want to complete my Lenzi and Martino Gialli.

Quote:
If they re-release it (it's been rumored)
Well,I think I'll wait for that to happen.
Will it perhaps be included in the new Image Bava collection boxes?Or are those just the same Image discs put in a box?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #5
Andrew

BLOOD AND BLACK LACE was released by VCI, not Image. Even so, the Image boxes are just the original discs slapped together, which is a bit of a shame since some of those need some remastering done too. The good thing about VCI's disc is it's relatively cheap (under $20), and I'm guessing a newer version would be too. I love the movie, don't get me wrong, but I don't really want to spend $40 for an improved transfer.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
x666x
HackMaster

I own the German release of Blood and Black Lace and I must say, its picture quality is not only remarkable and supposedly in its proper aspect ratio, but the velvet like slipcase is really slick. If you have debt, you should still go after the cheaper one perhaps. However, if you are on top of your game with the cash, then you must get this as expensive as it is. You probably know this already, but the German one is subtitled only where the cheaper disc does have an English dub if you so prefer. I love this release (and film) so much that it is in a separate pile of discs that I keep in a special place along with my autographed I Drink Your Blood, autographed Nekromantik, Ultrabits of Cannibal Holocaust and House by the Cemetery etc. For that kind of money, I better take good care of it.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:50 AM   #7
monkeyman

Stick with your original order,but replace the Blood and Black Lace with the German release.Try dvdpacific for the Anchor bays/Shriek Shows/Blue Underground.Watch me while I kill isnt a Martino title,its Antonio Bido.The US release is awful,but Ive not purchased the German release yet so cant comment on it.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
Crystal Plumage

Quote:
Watch me while I kill isnt a Martino title,its Antonio Bido
Yes I know,sorry,slip of the keyboard....(changed it)
Quote:
The US release is awful,but Ive not purchased the German release yet so cant comment on it.
According to Xploited this version is better than the US version.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
Crystal Plumage

Here's what I ordered yesterday:

Autopsy
Seven Blood-Stained Orchids
Spasmo
Suspiria SE (yep I have the movie but I needed the upgrade)

And I will add:

Watch Me When I Kill
The Case Of The Scorpion's Tail
Old 06-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #10
Jason25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage

Autopsy
Spasmo

And I will add:

Watch Me When I Kill
All of those are classics. Nice to see some Lenzi sprinkled in there!
Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #11
Crystal Plumage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage

Autopsy
Spasmo

And I will add:

Watch Me When I Kill
Got 'em in the mail last week,gonna watch them soon.
Watch Me When I Kill and The Case Of The Scorpion's Tail will be my July order (I'm a bit low on cash at the moment)
Old 06-06-2004, 06:10 PM   #12
Andrew

Nice. Let us know when SCORPION'S TALE is out. I'm waiting for Xploited to get that one in.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #13
Dorian Gray

Here's DVDBeaver's graphic comparison between VCI and German releases and here's mine.
VCI is obviously cropped.
What's weird is that on a few shots, both transfers appear to be from the same source...
Old 06-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #14
Crystal Plumage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Here's DVDBeaver's graphic comparison between VCI and German releases and here's mine.
VCI is obviously cropped.
What's weird is that on a few shots, both transfers appear to be from the same source...
Thanx,I've seen both before.That made me decide to NOT buy the VCI disc.Only problem still is the German "Hände Weg" version is a tad expensive.Could well be I'll include it in the following order though.
At the moment I'm happy with the order I placed.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
Crystal Plumage

I watched the two Lenzi Gialli first.Liked them very much!
Orchids is a pretty by the book Giallo,stylishly directed.Spasmo I liked a bit more,same style better plot.Very weird one,thought it was pretty predictable but I was still surprised at the end.These two are worth buying if your into this kind of movies.
Gonna watch Autopsy soon (perhaps this weekend),I'm very interested in this one.
Suspiria I already know and is great.Great documentary and nice booklet with much info and interview.