Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
geeare

SHUTTER ISLAND from Scorsese

WTF? I can't believe there isn't a thread on here about this film. Looks pretty cool to me. Too bad about the lead role but he's been pretty good in his last couple films so it should be too bad.

SHUTTER ISLAND Trailer Promises a Straight Up Genre Film from Scorsese
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Looks pretty good! Thanks for linking the Trailer.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
baggio
HackMaster

This one slipped my mind. I forgot he was doing this film. It's not really a horror movie but more of a crime , mystery , thrill type.

Either way I will be still seeing it.

$50 bucks Ted Levine dies on his back with his hands slightly curled facing the sky.

Last edited by baggio; 06-18-2009 at 05:54 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

If it's Scorsese it's worth seeing. Not that he's really made a horrible film(well maybe Kundun), but even Marty's worst is better than half the shit out there.
Mr. Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

i support marty in anything he does... seeimng this for sure.

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
Harry Warden
HackMaster

This looks terrific. It will be a must see on my list. Thanks for posting the link to the trailer.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
Grim
HackMaster

If this was done by anyone else I would probably not be interested, as the trailer kind of makes it look like typical psycho-thriller fare, but with Scorsese directing it should be alright at the very least/
Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #8
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I just discovered this trailer earlier today, and was very unexpectedly taken back that Scorsese is directing a horror-esque film. Count it as a must see for me!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
geeare

I have to agree with everyone else here, I think the whole Scorsese thing is more intriguing then the film itself. will be cool to see what he does with this film.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 AM   #10
Mazurka Macabre
Victim

The trailer I saw looks very cliched (as are, admittedly, most movie trailers), although the set design looks good. Hopefully it won't be another sluggish and overwrought American period piece like most of Scorsese's other films. I can't say that casting Leonardo Dicaprio as the lead is a real asset, either. His acting always something to be desired. (I pine for the days when Scorsese leaned heavily on Daniel Day Lewis. That man could act!)
Old 06-21-2009, 04:51 AM   #11
allmessedup
It's beer time.

I read the book when it came out a few years back...at the time, I thought "This would make a great movie..." but I don't know how it would seem now. I don't want to give anything away, but a lot of films in recent years have dealt with similar themes to the point where this one might seem a little tired.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

I'd prefer another lead actor, but this should be good. The trailer looks like it reveals too much though, which is typical.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
Matt89
HackMaster

Okay really, what the fuck is everyone's issue with DiCaprio? Seriously. Have none of you seen his recent films?? His performance was astounding in Revolutionary Road, why he didn't in an Oscar for that film is beyond me. Whatabout The Aviator, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can? He was even great in Titanic (another movie so many people tend to bash without backing up their stupid comments). Come to think of it, I can't think of a movie where he actually gave a BAD performance. Sure he was in some bad films (The Beach, Man in the Iron Mask) but there was nothing wrong with his performance, it was the films that were to blame.

People need to get over this idea that DiCaprio was once a "Hollywood Heartthrob". He's clearly come a LONG way since then, and rightfully so. At the moment, he's one of the greatest actors alive today.

Seriously, though...what's everyone's issue with DiCaprio? I don't get it. He's a great actor.

~Matt
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Okay really, what the fuck is everyone's issue with DiCaprio? Seriously. Have none of you seen his recent films?? His performance was astounding in Revolutionary Road, why he didn't in an Oscar for that film is beyond me. Whatabout The Aviator, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can? He was even great in Titanic (another movie so many people tend to bash without backing up their stupid comments). Come to think of it, I can't think of a movie where he actually gave a BAD performance. Sure he was in some bad films (The Beach, Man in the Iron Mask) but there was nothing wrong with his performance, it was the films that were to blame.

People need to get over this idea that DiCaprio was once a "Hollywood Heartthrob". He's clearly come a LONG way since then, and rightfully so. At the moment, he's one of the greatest actors alive today.

Seriously, though...what's everyone's issue with DiCaprio? I don't get it. He's a great actor.

~Matt
I was never a fan of DiCaprio, until Catch Me if You Can. I thought he was all right in a few movies up until then, like Gangs of New York and The Quick and the Dead (two films I love but not because of DiCaprio) but he blew me away in Catch Me if You Can. It was like a switch was flipped for me and I've been a big fan ever since. I've loved every movie he's been in since and he's been excellent in all of them. To this day, I still quote a ton of his lines from The Aviator. I love that film and it's really underrated (most people consider it lesser Scorcese, whilst I consider it one of his best). If he's in a film, I'm there without question at this point. It hasn't hurt that he's been working with some of the best directors working today (Scorcese, Mendes, Zwick, Spielberg). This film, at the very least, looks absolutely GORGEOUS. I have faith in Scorcese / DiCaprio, even if the trailer makes the film look slightly generic. I hope it'll be a case of Scorcese taking horror / thriller tropes and turning them on their head. The only thing I worry about is the ending. I really hope that DiCaprio doesn't end up being "Patient 67."

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Last edited by Kolpitz; 06-21-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Copyboy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
The first time I ever saw DiCaprio was in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE? and I wondered how the hell did they get this little retarded boy to behave on set and take direction? Then I saw BASKETBALL DIARIES and was shocked to see that this was no little retarded boy at all! Yes, DiCaprio is a very capable actor. It's his films that aren't always up to par with his ability. I remember how upset people were that he wasn't nominated for TITANIC, but he did what he could with what he was given to work with and there really wasn't a lot in that movie. I mean, come on. You're handcuffed to a sinking ship and you're going to do the I-have-to-piss-like-a-racehorse dance while repeating "oh shit" over and over again? Yeah, we'd all do that, I'm sure. I don't think he ever set out to be a teen idol, which seems evident in his more adult film role choices after ROMEO + JULIET and TITANIC. (I actually loved THE BEACH despite its flaws.) Let's just all be happy that Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise aren't in the cast!
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote