Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 08-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Dave
Pimp

Now watching...

Did we have a now watching thread here for lasers? If not, we should.

Last night I threw in an Amazing Stories Japanese LD that I had. Not something I ever thought I would spin again (like my Twilight Zone 80s lasers), but I don't own the DVD set, plus I think these lasers (between domestic and Japanese) cover more than the first season.

This disc had the Kostner plane ep., the mummy (with the actor and a real mummy), and then the Christoper Lloyd ep. The actual eps are: The Mission, Mummy Daddy, and Go to the Head of the Class. Burned in subs are depressing on full frame releases but they really don't bother me much.

Anyway, good eps all around. My son loved the last two. And Paff is right - full frame releases still hold up pretty well today. For a laser from the early 90s, I was impressed.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
f.ramses
Maniac

I haven't watched any LD's in so long, I think my last two were Dr. Strangelove and Darkman at the beginning of the year. I've been wanting to re-watch Jurassic Park and I only have that on LD so maybe I'll see that soon, it's a 1.85:1 disc so it should look alright if I stretch it to fill the screen, that's something that keeps me from watching LD's, not being able to fill the screen! (That and having to force open the player with a knife if I haven't used it in a while...)
f.ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
elahrairrah

Just watched the Gettysburg: Special Edition LD Box recently (the 4 and 1/2 hour cut that's not available on DVD.) Not a good transfer but how else are you going to see this version? The VHS tape?

Also started watching Easter Parade. Yeah . . . I like musicals!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elahrairrah View Post

Also started watching Easter Parade. Yeah . . . I like musicals!
"Ohhhh I could write a sonnetttt...about your Easter bonnet....and of the guy I'm taking, to the Easterrrr Paraaaaaade..."

~Matt
Old 08-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
CrazyFatEthel
HackMaster

I'm watching Prom Night right now!!! Its in the middle of the disco dancing scene!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Dave
Pimp

I started watching Star Wars (faces collection) last night. Only lasted about 20 minutes and shut it off so my son could switch back to Sponge Bob.

One thing that amazed me was how well the transfer looked, even after I used the 2x zoom feature to blow-up the image. Quite impressive. I think this is in part due to the fact I have a smaller HDTV (around 40-42") and that it's an actual tube. Anyway, pretty cool.

Hoping tonight I can watch the Vampires import I picked up last month. Hopefully it looks just as good.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
Paff

After the discussion of the zombie vs. shark scene, I think I'm gonna put the Roan version of Fulci's Zombie in the player tonight

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Paff

Pretty crummy transfer on Zombie, but I think it was bad even on my 27" SD tube. Fulci never really got any good LDs, did he? The Dutch EC discs, Roan, Cult Epics all had shit transfers. Well, I've heard the Japanese discs were ok, but I've never seen any.

Movie was better than I remember. Zombie vs. Shark is still dumb though. And I laughed at the final scene. Radio talk of the zombie apocalypse, zombies on their way across the Brooklyn Bridge, but regular commuter traffic going on just fine.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Dave
Pimp

I thought that Beyond LD had a good transfer, no? I owned it way back but can't really recall.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #10
elahrairrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I thought that Beyond LD had a good transfer, no? I owned it way back but can't really recall.
The transfer on The Beyond was pretty good on its own, but after seeing the Grindhouse/Anchor Bay remasted DVD picture, it's hard to look at it again.

Same goes for the Roan Zombie release. On its own, it looked good compared to the sub-par VHS releases I've watched over the years, but ugly compared to Shriek Show or Blue Underground's remastered DVDs.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Dave
Pimp

I watched Shrunken Heads LD this past week. Fun flick and since all Full Moon stuff is 4:3, it holds up well.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Dave
Pimp

I picked up my last two purchased from the post office the other day - Amistad and Peacemaker - Japanese releases.

I'm going to watch Peacemaker tonight. That's the one with Clooney and Kidman. I'm not expecting much on that. Amistad is something you have to be in the mood for, so who knows when I will watch that.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
elahrairrah

Just watched Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires, part of a double feature disc which also has Queen of Blood. Full screen and not the greatest transfer, but it was still workable and enjoyable.

Oh yeah, and if anyone's interested, I put up a video on Youtube comparing the video outputs of a few Laserdisc players that I own. Tried to be informative for people who aren't as savvy when it comes to LD player connections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tMtOb3h-Q4
Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
Sam
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elahrairrah View Post

Oh yeah, and if anyone's interested, I put up a video on Youtube comparing the video outputs of a few Laserdisc players that I own. Tried to be informative for people who aren't as savvy when it comes to LD player connections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tMtOb3h-Q4
Nice comparison. Have you ever owned/used the Pioneer CLD-1010? I've always thought it was a nice bang for the buck player and uses a red diode laser like the H9. Curious what you think of this player if you've ever tinkered around with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Always like to keep the player going, the parts moving, prevent dry rot in the belts.
Dang, I should probably fire mine up sometime soon. It's possibly been 2 to 2.5 years since I've watched a laserdisc.

Last edited by Sam; 12-14-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #15
elahrairrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Nice comparison. Have you ever owned/used the Pioneer CLD-1010? I've always thought it was a nice bang for the buck player and uses a red diode laser like the H9. Curious what you think of this player if you've ever tinkered around with it.
I've heard of it and its featuring the sam red laser in the HLD-X9, but never got around to getting one or seeing one in action. Would be interested in seeing if it can read through Laser Rot like the X9 can.