Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

The Cabin In The Woods -Joss Whedon Horror!

New horror flick written by Joss Whedon and Directed by Drew Goddard, coming out January 2011. Also Amy Acker's in it.

Official Site here
(nothing much there right now.

IMDB here

Not much is known about this one but here's all I could find:

From Dread Central
Quote:
We're still waiting for an official synopsis beyond "a twisted and unusual take on the familiar 'cabin in the woods' formula, but thanks to the MPAA we now have a little bit more of an idea of what to expect when Joss Whedon's The Cabin in the Woods hits theatres next year.

Per Box Office Mojo The Cabin in the Woods has received an R rating for "strong bloody horror violence and gore, language, drug use, and some sexuality/nudity." Woo hoo! It looks like the film's co-star Amy Acker's recent comment that "there's a lot of scary monsters" is right on.

Look for The Cabin in the Woods, directed by Drew Goddard and starring Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Jesse Williams, and Chris Hemsworth, in theaters January 14, 2011 (Mlk weekend) in, of course, 3D.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Love the posters for this one. Also love Amy Acker. Win-win!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

The history of this project is really starting to piss me off. When I first heard about this movie back in 2008 / 2009, I couldn't have been more excited. Joss Whedon producing and co-writing? Check! Drew Goddard co-writing and directing? Check! Great cast? Check! Then, MGM, in an attempt to cash in on the 3D craze and make more money to get out of debt, delayed the film from its February 2010 release date all the way to January 2011 (for a cheap, shitty 3D post-conversion too). Now, it seems, the film may not see the light of day at all. MGM is bankrupt, they can't find someone to run the company and no one seems to want to distribute their films (except for James Bond which, ironically, MGM can't even afford to make ... let alone distribute). So, don't be surprised if this gets shelved indefinitely, only to make it's way to DVD only (not even Blu-ray) in a few years, like so many of it's fellow horror brethren before it.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Yeah it's a shame they didn't just release it on the original date. I won't see it in 3D anyway so it would be nice to just have it out already. Hell it would probably be almost out on DVD/Blu by now too.

Here's hoping they actually hit the January 2011 date. I'd see this in the theaters.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskull View Post
Yeah it's a shame they didn't just release it on the original date. I won't see it in 3D anyway so it would be nice to just have it out already. Hell it would probably be almost out on DVD/Blu by now too.

Here's hoping they actually hit the January 2011 date. I'd see this in the theaters.
For me, a 3D horror film really needs to be planned for and shot in 3D. I want things flying out of the screen at me left and right. I don't need depth extension like what they did with Avatar. So, even if this gets released in January, I'm still watching the 2D just to spite them.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskull View Post

U SPOKE TO SOON is has been delayed again until mgm financial woes end this movie as well as mandy lane and poughkeepsie tapes still have NO DATES
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
Morgue Rapist

another self-aware tongue-in-cheek horror flick. pass...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
othervoice1
HackMaster

Ill definitely check this out- course I love almost everything Joss has done and I love Amy Acker too...
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #9
msw7
Morso a morte

I'd definitely see this. I just went on a Buffy binge (5 seasons in two months), and am experiencing withdrawal pretty badly.

I haven't yet started hitting up on random people on the streets to see if they've got any Whedon, but I'm close to that
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
Erick H.
HackMaster

I'll give it a go though I sometimes wonder if Whedon (who's work I like) could ever do a straight horror project ? He's certainly had serious issues turn up in his TV series (THE BODY episode of Buffy being a good example) but he generally has a flip style when it comes to scares.Can he do horror without the laughs ?
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I'll watch anything with Whedon's name on it. The only disappointment for me so far was Dollhouse.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
mclay18
Maniac

Can't wait for this one. Even though Joss didn't direct it, he co-wrote it and that's more than good enough for me.

I hope MGM gets their act together and sell off part of their library to get this film out on time. Either that, or they'll go AWOL. They don't even have enough money to cut a trailer for Cabin and their Red Dawn remake.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

New Poster:

Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Another:

Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #15
CPT HOOK
HackMaster