Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Jigsaw
Screamy Bopper

Rank The Phantasm Series

Hello, I've lurked around here for a while but for some reason haven't posted until now. I always liked this site and it's forums.

If you've seen all four Phantasm movies, rank them in your order of preference. This is my personal favorite Horror series and I love all four of them. IMO, it's a very rare series where every entry is genuinely good. I rank them as:

Phantasm II
Phantasm
Phantasm IV: Oblivion
Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead

Like I said though, I absolutely love all four and consider the series almost flawless.
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
deepred
Maniac

Phantasm
Phantasm: ObIVion
Phantasm II
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead

I think Phantasm II would sit better in the franchise if Phantasm III had followed up on it in a meaningful way. The biggest addition of II was Liz and her psychic link with Mike and the Tall Man but since she's tossed like gutter trash in Phantasm III and Mike is played completely differently, it makes Phantasm II a little pointless and an anomaly to the series. There are some great shots and parts to Phantasm III but I think it's mostly bogged down by silly zombie characters, new sidekick characters that do not provide anything new to the franchise and will also be quickly discarded and by giving Mike little to do.

Phantasm IV I really enjoyed because it lost the silly humor, did not focus too much on new characters that will never be explored again (instead it even brought back the fortune teller - nice touch), it returned to the low-key surrealism of the original, answered questions but left you with more and brought back the themes that made the original thought provoking and not just a "typical horror picture". I also thought the ending of IV was a genious ending to the series if they close it out that way.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
booper71
HackMaster

P2,p1,p3,p4
Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Egg_Shen
broomhead

If only Jigsaw knew that someone finally replied to his thread! Maybe he still lurks and will get back with it. Anyway, my rankings;

Phantasm
Phantasm II
Phantasm Oblivion
Phantasm III

I'm with you deepred, the ending to Oblivion was fantastic and a proper way to close the series.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
If only Jigsaw knew that someone finally replied to his thread!

I'll be boring and go with

I
II
IV

(never saw III)
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Phantasm
Phantasm: ObIVion
Phantasm II

I think Phantasm II would sit better in the franchise if Phantasm III had followed up on it in a meaningful way. The biggest addition of II was Liz and her psychic link with Mike and the Tall Man but since she's tossed like gutter trash in Phantasm III and Mike is played completely differently, it makes Phantasm II a little pointless and an anomaly to the series. There are some great shots and parts to Phantasm III but I think it's mostly bogged down by silly zombie characters, new sidekick characters that do not provide anything new to the franchise and will also be quickly discarded and by giving Mike little to do.

Phantasm IV I really enjoyed because it lost the silly humor, did not focus too much on new characters that will never be explored again (instead it even brought back the fortune teller - nice touch), it returned to the low-key surrealism of the original, answered questions but left you with more and brought back the themes that made the original thought provoking and not just a "typical horror picture". I also thought the ending of IV was a genious ending to the series if they close it out that way.
That's exactly my take on the series, and in that same order. Downright eerie, like I could have written that myself.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Phantasm
Phantasm II

I still love the original the best, with the first sequel not far behind.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
dave13
HackMaster

its never been one of my favorite series', but its certainly decent. i'd rank them according to the order of their release.

i think if oblIVion had been made at the time of III, and with that film's budget, it would have been a better film than either of the latter sequels ended up being. oblIVion has some great ideas, but just doesn't have the means to execute them. a shame. although, i agree that the ending does seem really appropriate given the eliptical and surreal nature of the series.

Last edited by dave13; 03-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
fceurich39
HackMaster

fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I enjoy this series. It does have much more continuity than other horror franchises, but, as mentioned above, the way it introduces characters in one film and then dispatches them in an instant in the next is very annoying.

My ranking would go:

Phantasm
Phantasm II

The first two are nearly equal in my opinion. III & IV are both just decent to me, but I like IV more because of its interesting ideas and the use of unused footage from the original to help tell its story. But it's a movie I find myself wanting to like more than I actually like it. III was too silly for me, but it's still watchable.

I've heard this series compared to the Alien series in how it changes up tone and genres from film to film. I'd have to agree, for the most part. The first is surreal horror, the second is an action film, the third is a splatter comedy, and the fourth goes back to the tone of the original. The strange thing with this series, unlike Alien, is that it all came from the same writer/director. I guess he was just going through different phases of what he liked.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #11
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

The more I hear about the 3rd film, the harder I freaking want to kick myself for missing it when it was on Netflix: Watch Instant.

Of course, I made sure to watch the 2nd film twice... hated it the first time (passionately). The 2nd time, it wasn't good but... it wasn't that bad.

The first film would be a masterpiece (read: MASTERPIECE) if the acting were better. Of course, I'd rather watch this cast any day than some random new millennium pos. So, that's where I stand on the original film. Anyone who thinks the 2nd film is better is crazy (read: insane, out of their mind, hallucinating). It's strange to hear some people regard the second Evil Dead film as superior but at least it's so vastly far away from the original that you can grasp a unique difference in taste. But the 2nd Phantasm film over the first? That film is easily inferior in all major categories. Including how it's shot. I suppose some people could like the more grotesque FX but horror is usually made by things like characters, atmosphere, being shot well, an amazing music score (and I still say Phantasm is THE best horror score, bar none- not even Goblin's scores for Argento, Howard Shore's scores for Cronenberg, Pino Donaggio's scores for De Palma and Joe Dante, and, oh yes: John Carpenter's score for Halloween), and a really fascinating story. Full of legitimate art film type stuff.

Phantasm is the Carnival of Souls of the 70's.

Oh, and... I refuse to watch the 4th film outright. I almost mentioned it in the Movies You Have No Desire to Watch thread. And, the reason is simple... : Sphere Boobs. I don't know how this traumatized me so much being a man. And gay. And all. But... I literally saw a review of the movie and this image popped up and it's one of the most motherfucking repulsive things I've ever seen. Troma would have killed for this idea (or the rights to execute it) and there isn't a torture movie around which ever came up with something as instantly hands-grafted-onto-eyelids inducing. This is practically Henenlotter it's so fucked up.

There's my rank: Phantasm > Phantasm II. No question, no doubt, no choice, no competition.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #12
Body Boy
HackMaster

Tough because I place them all in a 7/10 range. It's the most consistent franchise in terms of quality imo.

That said:

Phantasm
Phantasm: OblIVion
Phantasm II

They are all pretty interchangeable for me though. Pros and cons for all.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
It's the most consistent franchise in terms of quality imo.
What are your criteria for consistency? Returning cast, theme, and story continuity?
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
What are your criteria for consistency? Returning cast, theme, and story continuity?
In terms of quality and how much I like the film.

I think though that tonally, they're quite different.

Part I - Gothic Horror
Part II - Action Horror
Part III - Comedy Horror
Part IV - Psychological Horror
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Phantasm I (not a bad cult flick at all)
Phantasm II (turned this one off halfway through)

Didn't bother with the rest.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote