Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Exclamation Code Red Goes Blu Just Before Dawn, Nail Gun Massacre, The Electric Chair

It's been mentioned in the other Code Red thread, but I think this deserves a dedicated thread here in the Hi Def section:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9941

Quote:
Independent distributors Code Red have revealed that they are planning to begin releasing on Blu-ray in 2013. Their first releases will be J.G. Patterson Jr.'s The Electric Chair (1976), starring Katherine Cortez, Barry Bell and Nita Patterson, Bill Leslie and Terry Lofton's Nail Gun Massacre (1985), starring Rocky Patterson, Ron Queen and Beau Leland, and Jeff Lieberman's Just Before Dawn (1981), starring George Kennedy, Mike Kellin and Chris Lemmon.

The Electric Chair - director's cut of the 1974 classic, with special features & extras, hosted by Maria Kanellis and TV's MONSTER MAN Cleve Hall.

Nail Gun Massacre - with a brand new 2012 HD 1.78 transfer and a new 2012 HD fullframe boom mic cut, as well as more extras by original extra creator Loyd Cryer.

Last edited by Katatonia; 11-15-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
tropical marsh
Stalker

Hmmm...I'll be paying attention to that Just Before Dawn release. I wonder if it'll be uncut? And I wonder how much it'll cost?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
SpaceAce
Maniac

I would also be very interested in Just Before Dawn, especially if it had some new extras or something (and if it was priced right). None of the others would be of much interest to me. Nailgun Massacre is mindless fun but I don't need a blu of that.
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
rhett

...boom mic cut?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Marv Inc.
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
...boom mic cut?
I'am guessing its a 4:3 workprint type of cut, where you can see boom mikes and stuff which are usually framed out when shown in the correct aspect ratio. Maybe its a longer cut and thats all that avalible?

Anyway i want me some Just before dawn on Blu-ray too. Hope they clean up the print the old Shreik Show SE dvd was kind of messy in a grind house way.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
DEEPESTBLACK
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
I'am guessing its a 4:3 workprint type of cut, where you can see boom mikes and stuff which are usually framed out when shown in the correct aspect ratio. Maybe its a longer cut and thats all that avalible?

Anyway i want me some Just before dawn on Blu-ray too. Hope they clean up the print the old Shreik Show SE dvd was kind of messy in a grind house way.
Terry Lofton was never really happy that they cropped his print for the old DVD edition. Additionally, a few folks were disappointed that the DVD was matted and differed from the original Magnum print they had grown fond of over the years. That print had a few boom mics, etc but specifically, the killer's legs bouncing up at the end! Code Red has rectified this by including new prints of BOTH versions. Also, the HD transfer comes from the last remaining 16mm print. Amazingly, it's in pristine condition. So, it will look great in HD.

We also have some cool new special features for the Nail Gun Massacre Blu Ray. Not sure if Bill wants me to let the cat of the bag on those yet though.
DEEPESTBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPESTBLACK View Post
Terry Lofton was never really happy that they cropped his print for the old DVD edition. Additionally, a few folks were disappointed that the DVD was matted and differed from the original Magnum print they had grown fond of over the years. That print had a few boom mics, etc but specifically, the killer's legs bouncing up at the end! Code Red has rectified this by including new prints of BOTH versions. Also, the HD transfer comes from the last remaining 16mm print. Amazingly, it's in pristine condition. So, it will look great in HD.

We also have some cool new special features for the Nail Gun Massacre Blu Ray. Not sure if Bill wants me to let the cat of the bag on those yet though.
All good to know. I've bought both the original LE DVD and the Synapse DVD, but I'll probably go for this on Blu-ray too. Unique extras and the alternate aspect ratios go a long way in selling me on that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bruun View Post
Uhm, isn't this - how can I put this delicately - unwise? I mean, I'm sure that Just Before Dawn is on the radar of larger part of his consumer base than Electric Chair? It's like some sort of bizarre hostage situation. Why base the release of a fairly well-known - and oft-requested - movie on the success of a total obscurity that doesn't seem to have a fanbase to speak of?
Well you gotta admit, if The Electric Chair does well enough on Blu-ray then certainly Just Before Dawn would do well too. But yeah, not exactly the best release to test the waters with. Nail Gun Massacre I think is a much better gauge. It's had a couple releases on DVD and even more recently again on VHS for collectors. It's also more well known. Keeping that in mind it will match up better with Just Before Dawn.

Fortunately they're coming out together so I think Bill will see what's what.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Has JUST BEFORE DAWN been confirmed as coming to Blu? For some reason they're being a little vague about it. It would be a dream come true if it's the fully uncut version completely remastered and in high-def.

I'm confused about THE ELECTRIC CHAIR. On imdb there's a film called Electric Chair but it's from 1969. Code Red's is from '74. What gives?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
I'm confused about THE ELECTRIC CHAIR. On imdb there's a film called Electric Chair but it's from 1969. Code Red's is from '74. What gives?
Here's the link to the film on IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075982/

They show it as a 1976 film.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical marsh View Post
Here's the link to the film on IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075982/

They show it as a 1976 film.
Is it the same cruddy little movie that came as an extra on Something Weirds Axe DVD? Strange release for Blu ray
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
Is it the same cruddy little movie that came as an extra on Something Weirds Axe DVD? Strange release for Blu ray
I just checked my SWV disc and yes indeed it is.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

If Just Before Dawn is Blu I'm in for sure.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
If Just Before Dawn is Blu I'm in for sure.
This one isn't confirmed... wich is why editing the thread title would be a good idea as some people will start accusing Bill of not releasing it on blu when he never said he would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
Is it the same cruddy little movie that came as an extra on Something Weirds Axe DVD?
No it isn't, the SWV version is incomplete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i placed an order. it never arrived. Bill eventually refunded my money. but, as you can imagine, he wasn't very happy about it, and effectively cut me off from that point on.
That suck, but those thing happen. many stores stop shipping to an adress when too many package are lost (one isn't a lot if it is indeed one package, but when you're small refund hurt badly). It's the reason why I am standing near my mailbox every morning when I'm waiting for an order and if I can't someone else do it for me.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
tropical marsh
Stalker

It would be rad if Code Red could release Sweet Sixteen on blu, but didn't the dvd look pretty shoddy (as in, good materials aren't available)?

Last edited by tropical marsh; 11-15-2012 at 09:04 PM.
tropical marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Jack Grendel
Victim

Does this mean we're getting closer to a Savage Streets blu release?
Jack Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blu-ray, code red, crazy bill, just before dawn, nail gun massacre, the electric chair