Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Ash28M
HackMaster

American Mary (2012)

Really enjoyed American Mary and thought it was a definite step up from the Soska Sisters first film Dead Hooker in a Trunk. Katharine Isabelle was very good as usually. It thought it was original and bazaar which is a plus for me. I would recommend it.

Last edited by Ash28M; 02-06-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
hots4
Stalker

Heard good things, it's available to buy now on UK Blu (region free for all you guys living outside the UK who may be interested), so will be picking it up soon.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I've been hearing good things too, but I'm really weary to check it out because Dead Hooker in a Trunk was absolutely atrocious on every level...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Paul0889
Maniac

it's pretty good. katharine isabelle is the best thing about it. i don't think it's quite as amazing as people are hailing it to be. i'd give it a 7/10. the first half is better than the second half of the movie for sure.
Paul0889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Vincent Pina
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
I've been hearing good things too, but I'm really weary to check it out because Dead Hooker in a Trunk was absolutely atrocious on every level...
Don't worry, it's nothing like Dead Hooker. I agree that was a total waste of time, but Mary is very well done.
Vincent Pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
russweiss
Maniac

I like this poster better.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1468317184/tt1959332
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Agreed, well done. Isabelle is really good in this too!

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Great movie, really enjoyed it.
Beatress must be the creepiest character since I don't know what

Movie Tracker 2014

Last edited by Hellbilly; 06-21-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
sinister
Stalker

Maybe I'm just getting old or something but I thought this sucked all manner of ass. OK it has a few nice visuals here and there, but the actiing... I was seriously wondering if it was dubbed it was so bad in places. It was mildly entertaining in a "so bad it's good" kinda way I guess.

First time ever on here that I've been disappointed in an Ash28M recommended movie too!
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

This one was great, and Katharine Isabelle really nailed the part. The Blu-ray looks really superb too.

And this is perhaps the first time I've actually enjoyed a movie that Ash28M recommended!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Paff

Played here for a weekend at the "Digital Gym", which is a small theater run by the Media Arts Center. It's brand new, but it only seats 49 people, and only has the capability to screen DVD and Blu-Ray. Both nights sold out, so I missed it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I watched it last night and thought it was fantastic.

I wish it had come together better at the end, but it was definitely an entertaining ride getting there.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #13
othervoice1
HackMaster

Blu Review:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9295/american_mary.html
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

I was pretty underwhelmed. It has some cool ideas and a fairly original concept, but just about everything was executed poorly.

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I'm really confused why this movie is getting so much praise because it was OK at best. The concept of the film was interesting, but it was executed so poorly I don't know where to begin, I felt like I was watching some sort of body modification fetish movie. At the 40 minute mark I literally said, out loud to myself, "Where the fuck is this movie going?" and that's the biggest problem, it takes why to long for the Soaska's to figure out what it is they are trying to accomplish. There is no "real" story arc to be found, just a mesh of different scenario's thrown together. On the up side, the visual style is cool, the special effects are well done considering the budget, and, I think this goes without saying, Katherine Isabelle is finer than a mother fucker as usual (even in a surgeons clothes she is sexy!). I really wanted to like this movie a lot, but I was really underwhelmed. I think the Soaska's have some sort of untapped potential, but I'm not sure what it will take for them to show it.

Rating: 6/10