Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Paff

The Pyjama Girl Case (1977)

Did a search, and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this film, only a few passing mentions of it in Giallo threads. Anyway, this is a really impressive piece of work! It's a "late" Giallo, as in, it was from 1977 long after the Giallo genre's heyday. So this is one that goes with a much different approach, in the same way that Fulci's Seven Notes in Black (The Psychic) did. No black gloved killer or anything like that.

Funny thing is, I started watching it late Saturday night, and my need for sleep forced me to turn it off about 50 minutes in. It didn't help that the movie just wasn't "grabbing" me at all. So last night I popped it back in, to watch the last half and get it back in the mail to Netflix. Well, as anyone who's seen this movie before knows, there's a pretty major twist that occurs about an hour or so into the film (I certainly won't spoil it here), and it got my attention real quick. The final 30-40 minutes is about as tense and compelling as any Giallo film ever gets. More importantly, the first instinct I had when the credits rolled was to immediately begin the movie again, which I did.

This doesn't get as much attention as the early 70s gialli, you know, the ones with 25 words in the title that don't make a damn bit of sense or even apply to the movie at all, but I'd put it up there with any of them. Highly recommended.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
russweiss
Maniac

I've got the DVD buy haven't watched it yet. This is the only piece of memorabilia I have for this title.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pyjama Girl Case lobby Mexico.jpg (442.8 KB, 9 views)
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

I bought the DVD years ago. It's a pretty good film, and it's loosely based on the true crime story... which is worth researching.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

I liked it the second time round better. First time I couldn't figure out the actual Giallo connections (to be true there aren't any) but the plot has a nice build up and the way it all comes together in the end as a puzzle was nicely done. Direction is okay, typically late 70s.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
Paff

I'm always torn on this type of thing; if the ending of a movie makes everything suddenly make sense, is that really cool or is it sloppy filmmaking? After all, the ENTIRE movie should be good, it should not need a nifty ending to justify the crappy 90 minutes we just sat through. I don't think Pyjama Girl is one of those movies, although I do think that some of the parts that don't make sense (early on, and only upon first viewing) do drag it down a bit.

Another along these lines is a Hong Kong film called Haunted Office, starring the love of my life, Shu Qi. It's a pretty tepid anthology film set in an office building (hence the title), but the finale ties all the stories together. I haven't watched it a second time, but I should, to see if it's better with the ending already in mind. Again, is that a cool trick or just sloppy filmmaking?

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote