Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Buechlers_beard
Stalker
 
Buechlers_beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 345
Trick 'r Treat 2 still happening?

Over at Fear net, Sam has popped up in another pre-Halloween short.

http://www.fearnet.com/videos/trick-r-treat-back-school

Also on YouTube is a behind the scenes video, where Michael Doherty mentions (albeit briefly) a sequel. Sorry but I can't seem to link to it. It's there though :v)

Hopefully a well budgeted DTV could happen, especially after great reviews already coming in for the DTV Curse of Chucky!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Franco
Weekender
 
Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Peru
Posts: 2,354
It would be great to have another movie like this one for Halloween! And not only DTV but a standard release in cinemas. I fully enjoyed it!!
__________________
DO NOT RUN FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T WALK FOR YOU.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
fallon6190
Victim
 
fallon6190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 99
Dam I love Sam. We need another Trick' r Treat movie.
fallon6190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Erick H.
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,185
I thought the original was uneven but I loved Sam,I'd give it a shot.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
TheButcher
Screamy Bopper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
The first one was great!

Warner Brothers screwed up not releasing that theatrically.
TheButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
The original film did spend a lot of time trying to shoot a fan-loving Halloween movie... which is why it's kind of strange, not to mention SAVAGELY off-putting, that it's such a stupidly hateful movie. It seems to be trying to say Halloween is a vicious holiday and we've seen it get the soft touch too many times... Yeah, that's why we really need someone with no grasp of nuance, complexity, brutality (beyond the Cut + Paste new millennium garbage we see in every horror film of the last 10 years, what I'm saying is that they failed to inject their story or characters with the intensity they so desperately wanted, and needed because they put so much emphasis on it), intelligence, or subversion to give us a collection of sexist, ignorant, childish body-horror hijinks with superficial music video flair. It's another one of those movies where, if you're a smart person, every character is so lifeless, stupid, and aggressive that it makes you want to hurt the people who made the movie. I'm sorry, but everyone I've run into who praises this fails to actually address the characters and their role in the stories. The fans just go: it was a good idea. Um... the job of a movie is to take an idea and flesh it out. This does not happen in post production. It actually requires intelligent handling of worthwhile characters. They don't have to be smart, but they do have to be smart in their stupidity or hatefulness. This movie just throws shit onscreen.

And it's fucking incredibly offensive. If you paid attention. Though, nothing is more offensive than the idea that this is all the movies it rips off but, yeah, a brutal look at this overcommercialized, child-friendly holiday... Which has been fucking dying off as an American Tradition for YEARS before this movie was made... This is the final piece of evidence proving the makers of this film are completely beyond understanding. Every situation in this movie takes something we like about Halloween and perverts it to insult what we don't take seriously about it. By showing, let's cut the shit here: Sexy Chicks in Tight Costumes who at least get attention from everyone who wants to get drunk and get laid. This is made abundantly clear in monotonously sleazy scene after monotonously sleazy scene (and don't even get me started on the children!!!). This is their way to rebel against... CHARLIE BROWN?!?!?!? If you really aren't following me in the slightest right now, I would have to write a paper on the patronizing stupidity of that ambition. That legacy of Halloween is only alive in nostalgia, on the internet. On the fucking street: Halloween IS about people in slutty, tight costumes getting drunk, partying, and getting laid. That is like going into a high school cafeteria because you want to expose the potentially harmful (depending on what universe and time you're in) clique-mentality of high school, going right past the football player and cheerleader tables and starting a screaming match with the people at the "quote unquote" nerd table.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Buechlers_beard
Stalker
 
Buechlers_beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 345
So, you didn't like it then....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
The original film did spend a lot of time trying to shoot a fan-loving Halloween movie... which is why it's kind of strange, not to mention SAVAGELY off-putting, that it's such a stupidly hateful movie. It seems to be trying to say Halloween is a vicious holiday and we've seen it get the soft touch too many times... Yeah, that's why we really need someone with no grasp of nuance, complexity, brutality (beyond the Cut + Paste new millennium garbage we see in every horror film of the last 10 years, what I'm saying is that they failed to inject their story or characters with the intensity they so desperately wanted, and needed because they put so much emphasis on it), intelligence, or subversion to give us a collection of sexist, ignorant, childish body-horror hijinks with superficial music video flair. It's another one of those movies where, if you're a smart person, every character is so lifeless, stupid, and aggressive that it makes you want to hurt the people who made the movie. I'm sorry, but everyone I've run into who praises this fails to actually address the characters and their role in the stories. The fans just go: it was a good idea. Um... the job of a movie is to take an idea and flesh it out. This does not happen in post production. It actually requires intelligent handling of worthwhile characters. They don't have to be smart, but they do have to be smart in their stupidity or hatefulness. This movie just throws shit onscreen.

And it's fucking incredibly offensive. If you paid attention. Though, nothing is more offensive than the idea that this is all the movies it rips off but, yeah, a brutal look at this overcommercialized, child-friendly holiday... Which has been fucking dying off as an American Tradition for YEARS before this movie was made... This is the final piece of evidence proving the makers of this film are completely beyond understanding. Every situation in this movie takes something we like about Halloween and perverts it to insult what we don't take seriously about it. By showing, let's cut the shit here: Sexy Chicks in Tight Costumes who at least get attention from everyone who wants to get drunk and get laid. This is made abundantly clear in monotonously sleazy scene after monotonously sleazy scene (and don't even get me started on the children!!!). This is their way to rebel against... CHARLIE BROWN?!?!?!? If you really aren't following me in the slightest right now, I would have to write a paper on the patronizing stupidity of that ambition. That legacy of Halloween is only alive in nostalgia, on the internet. On the fucking street: Halloween IS about people in slutty, tight costumes getting drunk, partying, and getting laid. That is like going into a high school cafeteria because you want to expose the potentially harmful (depending on what universe and time you're in) clique-mentality of high school, going right past the football player and cheerleader tables and starting a screaming match with the people at the "quote unquote" nerd table.
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
This movie is like a little kid in a sailor suit and bow on his head kicking you in the shins repeatedly while his prissy, pill-popping mother in designer business clothes laughs in amusement.

A) Neither of them are fit to be mocking or antagonizing anyone else.

B) Again, not fit to be accusing anyone else of being an asshole. No matter how you define the word.

What's to like about that?
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
On the fucking street: Halloween IS about people in slutty, tight costumes getting drunk, partying, and getting laid.
That has been the case for at least the past 50 years... above a certain age group. I doubt the young trick or treaters in my neighborhood have any intention of getting anything other than a sack full of candy. My kids certainly don't. It is the same as it ever was.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
That has been the case for at least the past 50 years... above a certain age group.
I'm well-aware of that. But my point was not about how much it sucks that kids don't trick or treat anymore (necessarily) or that it ruins the holiday to see people dressing in sexy costumes. I don't care who does what, likes what. I never have.

The point is that the movie is trying to, very much like Candyman did with urban legends, say that Halloween is a holiday that people aren't afraid of because it's fluffed up, softened, and overaccessible due to traditions like trick or treating and how much we allegedly cherish Charlie Brown.

Now, forgetting that not a single character the movie cooks up actually confronts any of its targets, it spends an immeasurable chunk of the first "act" gazing at every woman who looks a certain way changing, bending over, or sticking the camera low enough to look up their skirt. Then, one of these women are killed in a crowd of drunken, sexed up street partiers. That is Hypocrisy of the Highest Order. Sure, if the movie is against - granted, for the sake of trying to generate scares or deaths (which makes sense) - new traditions that still don't restore the true roots of the holiday then, this scene could be saying that the drunken, sexy stuff is just as stupid as Charlie Brown. But it spent all that fucking time gluing the camera wherever it could to any woman who passed by, again of a certain type or look.

Meanwhile, Candyman was actually about cynicism and addressed it directly, without this absurd, steaming hypocrisy. And I don't doubt that trick or treating is still popular in some areas but, again, culturally- kids do not celebrate it like they used to. Not even in the single-digit range. Movies like this certainly didn't kill it but this is not rocket science. It's Groundhog Day: look out your window and you'll see if people are going to Gobbler's Knob or not. I stopped trick or treating around 1996 (I was born in 1982, my profile is lying) and 15 years ago, where I live- there were at least 5x the amount of trick or treaters there are now. At least! The writers of this film wrote like most idiots without being aware of anything outside their own environment. If this dumbass/these dumbasses still see dozens of kids every year, he/they assume it's like that everywhere.

And the Charlie Brown thing is inexcusable. Either they were suggesting that the older generation is guilty of leading people to believe Charlie Brown was a likable character just because the special is fun to watch or trying to wring laughs out of the audience, assuming they were as intolerable as their own characters. This movie didn't have a clue what it was doing in the writing stages. Aside from this, the characters were impossible to Even Watch. And I make no exception for this movie. Many do, though they were among the first to complain that this is the same thing that ruined the Friday the 13th remake. I was ready to write the characters off as extreme caricatures of real people but then that Charlie Brown line became popular. Proving a portion of the audience were as intolerable as the characters.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Cooperkill
Stalker
 
Cooperkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
I was okay with the Charlie Brown bashing. Charlie Brown is an asshole.
__________________
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/signaturepics/sigpic10145_2.gif
http://www.splattercritic.com
Cooperkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Workshed
October!
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,633


DVDF9 will not rest until there is justice. Lucy, beware.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Paff
Moderator
 
Paff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post


DVDF9 will not rest until there is justice. Lucy, beware.
Ever see the day all the comic strips played tribute to Charles Schultz after he passed away? Tank McNamara, the sports-oriented strip showed Lucy pulling the ball away. Then in the next panel, a group of huge football players pounce on her. Charlie never kicked the ball, but at least Lucy got flattened by some interior linemen
__________________
CINEMA PAFF - Your BB-Movie Showcase *

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
Workshed
October!
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Ever see the day all the comic strips played tribute to Charles Schultz after he passed away? Tank McNamara, the sports-oriented strip showed Lucy pulling the ball away. Then in the next panel, a group of huge football players pounce on her. Charlie never kicked the ball, but at least Lucy got flattened by some interior linemen
, no, I missed that! Pretty great.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #15
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
You know what? Filmmakers actually (in some cases) try to put thought and meaning into their films. Perhaps not so much in the 80's (always), but if you're denying that there is a method to TRT's nastiness and supporting the argument by many that horror is there for us to turn our brains off, that's ridiculous at best. When a filmmaker is as aggressive as Doherty has been with this film, he's inviting analysis.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-04-2013 at 08:37 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com