Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
maybrick
HackMaster

I'm looking for shooting locations for The Children (1980).

According to imdb, it was shot in Great Barrington, MA so a friend and I are planning to make a side trip there on the way to the Dusk til Dawn horror show in Coxsackie as it's only 15 minutes off our route. I've already located the cemetery used in the film on the north end of Stony Brook Rd using Google Street View, but wondered if anybody else here is from the area and knows where else we should check out. I'm also curious where the store and covered bridge is located. The covered bridge is a true mystery to me. You would think that it would be very easy to find, but I have to have spent 2 hours online looking through hundreds of photos and haven't found it. So either it's in another part of the country altogether than the northeast, it doesn't exist anymore, or it has had major renovation in the past 30 years. But either way one would think that there would be an archival photo out there, but nope. I PMed fellow board member Richard Anthony a week ago because he has mentioned in the past as being from that area, but I don't think that he checks in here all too often and even then he may overlook the fact that he has a PM so I'm throwing this out there for anybody to answer.

So if any of you can help, thanks!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I've never seen the movie, but I used to do some location hunting for my blog. Post some screengrabs and I'll see what I can do.

I did a quick search for covered bridges nearby. Search for Covered Bridge Lane in Sheffield, MA. It's about five miles south of Great Barrington and you'll find a covered bridge there.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I've never seen the movie, but I used to do some location hunting for my blog. Post some screengrabs and I'll see what I can do.

I did a quick search for covered bridges nearby. Search for Covered Bridge Lane in Sheffield, MA. It's about five miles south of Great Barrington and you'll find a covered bridge there.
I know the one, but it doesn't look anything like the one from the film. I believe that this particular one burned down and had to be rebuilt, so it may be the same, only the geography seems different as well.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post

Here's a few. First off, the cemetery:

I believe that I have that one covered:

And now for the covered bridge:

This is the one located in Sheffield.

As you can see, they look nothing alike, but looking at satellite images again, it may still be a possibility. My only question is that in my experience with time dirt roads become paved, not paved roads become dirt.

Here's another one I'm interested in finding, but unlike the last two examples it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it didn't exist anymore.

Last edited by maybrick; 09-20-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
ronnie21
HackMaster

was this movie shot in 1979?? cause it was released sept 1980.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
ronnie21
HackMaster

wow, its funny seeing these screen shots how much things change.. Like the fence in front of the cemetery.. A lot of stuff you can tell is the same. but has changed. well, quess 34 yrs later gotta expect some changes...
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
wow, its funny seeing these screen shots how much things change.. Like the fence in front of the cemetery.. A lot of stuff you can tell is the same. but has changed. well, quess 34 yrs later gotta expect some changes...
Tell me about it. Maybe it's just the angle but it looks as if some of the stones are missing. Did the crew add additional ones? Or maybe vandals knocked them down. Won't know until I'm out there next week.

It isn't too surprising that the fence has been replaced, though, because it looks like it was already dilapidated and falling apart way back in 1979/1980. It's weird that that one tree hasn't appeared to have changed or grown. Maybe it's just the kind of tree that it is. Or maybe it's CURSED!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
maybrick
HackMaster

Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

These are great! Thanks for sharing!

No luck on the bridge, I take it?
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
maybrick
HackMaster

Nope. Oh well, we probably wouldn't have had time to check it out unless it was right around the corner. The cemetery is easily the most memorable part of the movie and therefore the most important. The black flies were really terrible and there was something else in the air that gave me a minor asthma attack for about a half hour after we drove away. It was really neat to see how very little had changed in over 33 years. It's a very peaceful area with little in the way of traffic. We were there for probably 45 minutes and only about 5 cars drove past. Anybody within driving distance should check it out. It's a nice scenic trip.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
ronnie21
HackMaster

wow these are super cool shots. iam quessing The Children was lensed around fall of 79. but I could be wrong. maybe early 80.. but these shots are so cool. good job. wow, not much has changed...
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
wow these are super cool shots. iam quessing The Children was lensed around fall of 79. but I could be wrong. maybe early 80.. but these shots are so cool. good job. wow, not much has changed...
Thanks. I'm glad that you enjoy them. We had a lot of fun going out there on the way to the drive-in dead til dawn show and really makes us want to hunt down other local "Horror's Hallowed Grounds" as Sean Clark of Horrorhound magazine likes to call them.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Thanks. I'm glad that you enjoy them. We had a lot of fun going out there on the way to the drive-in dead til dawn show
Two things:

1. Did you go there with a laptop with the movie (or at least screen shots) so you could match the camera angles?

2. Let's hear about the drive-in show!

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
maybrick
HackMaster

I had the screen captures on my phone, and a friend put his phone next to it to snap the photo. We tried our best (but not our OCD best) to get it identical, although some shots were very difficult. We figure that for the one with the woman tripping over the corpse the original film crew would have basically had to lay their camera on the ground.

The drive in show was a lot of fun. I'll dig out the old thread I devoted to it when I have more than a moment to spare.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

The new shots look great but I kept getting fooled into thinking I was looking at a new remastered Blu Ray/VHS comparison.
Beautiful country!
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote