Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
spawningblue
Deadite

Check out our new podcast "The Horror and More! Podcast"

Hey guys!

Some of you may have noticed me mention it a few times on here, but the podcast my friend and I recently started is now finally up and running! We have two episodes released so far, one covering the Prom Night series, and one on Evil Televisions (Video Dead, Terrorvision, Remote Control and Stay Tuned). You can subscribe and download the episodes on iTunes, or if you don't use iTunes they are also available for streaming or download on our site (horrorandmorepodcast.com). As well we have a Facebook page and Twitter (@HorrorandMore) that you can LIKE!

If you are bored and want to check us out I would greatly appreciate it, and if you have any questions or comments you may have regarding the podcast feel free to comment on here or through our e-mail or any of the other options listed above. I won't take anything personal and I know this podcast isn't perfect, but hopefully as we go on we will only get better. I know my favourite podcasts were pretty terrible for the first 10 or so episodes so there is still hope haha.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 09-20-2013 at 08:12 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
spawningblue
Deadite

And just a few things to note before you judge us too harshly haha,

Sound Quality - I feel the quality of the podcast is pretty good, better then most, but it obviously won't compare to those with unlimited funds. The truth is we are doing this on the cheap so we don't have $300 microphones or anything. So please keep that in mind! We are still figuring out what levels to record at, and editing audio is all new to me as well. Again though, I feel it is definitely above average, and easily listenable. Oh, and I admit I don't have a radio voice, what can you do?

Conversation - As I mention in the notes, if you are looking for an in depth podcast that really digs in and analyses the films, I will be straight up and tell you this podcast probably isn't for you. We are just fans that love films and if you have read any of my thoughts or comments on here you know what to expect. I'm not saying we are complete dumb asses or anything haha, I just want you to go in with realistic expectations. As strange as it is, I am still a little nervous on mic, and sometimes I will jabber on about nothing and forget the point I was trying to make. We are also testing the format, and how much plot of the movie we should cover. The first episode I feel followed the plots a little too closely, but I feel we loosened up a bit with the second. Again, this is something that we will figure out over time.

Everything else - The wesbite still has some issues. The truth is I have been self teaching myself how to create a website with no experience whatsoever, and no clue what half the terms mean. Everything seems to work okay though, and other then it looking a little weird on mobiles, I am happy with it.

This whole thing has been nothing but a huge learning experience for me. Whether it be learning how to draw (I drew the main pic we have been using, I haven't really drawn since I was a child), learning Photoshop and Gimp (Mainly to colour said pic), Audacity (To edit podcast), Wordpress (To create website), Tagger, getting the podcast on iTunes, ect. If I knew how hard all of this would have been I don't know if I would have bothered haha, but it's been a great learning experience and I'm happy to say that I have done it.

Anyways, I know this is a whole lot of explaining (I guess I am really self-conscious), I just hope some of you will give it a fair chance, as again it has been a lot of work getting it started. But again, any feedback is much appreciated!

My Movie Collection

Last edited by spawningblue; 09-20-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
rhett

Good on you, man. Consider me a subscriber. Looking forward to listening to the Prom Night podcast when I get a moment. This sort of thing definitely isn't easy to do, so thanks for taking all the extra time to give something to the fans.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
spawningblue
Deadite

Thanks Rhett! And yes, it is an insane amount of work, especially if you have no clue what you are doing haha. For anyone that has started up or been consistently running a podcast, you have earned my respect tenfold.

And to be honest, I was a little embarrassed to mention this on here, as compared to some of the other members on here, especially the reviewers, my thoughts and knowledge almost seems childish haha. I wish I could write and dig deeply into some of these movies on here the way others can. But, I guess as much as there is a place for those type of reviews, there's also a place for fans who just love horror movies and film in general. I am having fun doing this and it has motivated me to check out films that have been sitting on my shelf for years now so that's all that matters. I feel confident as we get a few more of these under our belt we will be a little more comfortable and confident to deliver a great podcast.

Either way, I look forward to hearing your thoughts, good or bad.

My Movie Collection

Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
rhett

Hey bud, just tore through that PROM NIGHT podcast and I had a really good time. I actually quite liked the light tone and sort of humbleness of opinion that the two of you bring. The love for the genre comes through, and it's nice to just be a fly on the wall listening in. I like how you add in some trivia, summarize the essentials (kill count, nudity, availability, etc.) and give the films quantifiable ratings. As a fan of the entire PROM NIGHT series, I think you did each film justice in your coverage.

If there's some feedback I can offer it would be to try and keep your "now watching" segment off the top a little more brief. It clocked in at around 45 minutes, and there are podcasts out there that aren't even that long! It's not that what you guys were talking about was boring or anything - I had some chuckles, and a little surprise at the revelation that one of you hadn't seen Airplane before, but the way it is structured now it could go on forever. I'd try to limit it to horror films to save some time and bring us to the main section quicker. I'd also say that you guys should try some kind of other segment somewhere in the podcast as well - whether it's a topical top 5 list or something, or maybe a pick or shout out to a recent DVD/Bluray release, or something like that. A lot of the other horror podcasts have some extra segment that sort of helps define the style and character of their show, so that could help you guys carve out an identity too. The podcast is solid as it is though, so take what you will!

Great work though, I'm really looking forward to all the other retrospectives you'll be offering up and I appreciate that you're picking films that are still somewhat accessible despite being largely forgotten. I gave you guys a tweet and a follow on our Twitter profile, hope the rest of you horror fans out here support spawningblue and his co-host (not a member?).
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Horrorphilly
Maniac

::::::::::EDIT::::::::::::::

I liked the podcast and I especially liked the segment about what dvd's the series were on. When I first started listening to it, you guys seemed scatter brained but by the 2nd movie you guys cleaned up.I liked the light hearted chat, I subbed and look forward to more episodes.How about a episode on Italian zombie flicks.

Sean

Matt or Kyle

Sorry I don't know who you are.I subbed and I'm gonna listen to the Prom Night episode tonight.I look forward to listening to it. I've only heard the Hysteria Continues guy's.

Sean

Last edited by Horrorphilly; 09-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Horrorphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
spawningblue
Deadite

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated! I'm glad to hear you both liked it, feedback has been mostly positive so far and the downloads have been more than I could have ever expected! And as noted, I know it's far from perfect but hopefully as we go on we can work out some of these quirks.

As for your thoughts.

Horrorphilly I will start with yours.

You're right, there are times when we get a little scatter brained haha. This episode especially as it was edited from two recordings. The first recording we thought dragged on a little too much (Yes, even more than this edit if you can believe it). For the second recording we wanted to narrow it down a little and not go through every plot detail. Unfortunately due to the busy-ness of summer, it was almost a month later before we did the re-recording, so not only were the movies not as fresh in our minds, but since we were repeating our thoughts it was a little confusing as to what we had talked about or not. The second episode is hopefully better, but I admit there are still moments where our thoughts become a little jumbled. This is something I hope we will get better with as we do these, and as my nervousness subsides haha.

As for Italian Zombie flicks I'm sure that will be in the cards as we are both huge fans of them! We have most of the episodes set up for the next few months with Oct. and than Christmas upon us, but that is something I would love to tackle in the New Year. With Nightmare City and Hell of the Living Dead hitting Blu in the coming months, I can't see a better time!

Rhett,

You're right, the "Recently Watched" section was really long in the first episode, possibly even for the second episode as well. By the third it should be narrowed down and more of the norm, as in a few movies each (We hope to put out a new episode b-weekly). The reasoning as mentioned above is this episode was edited from two recordings a month apart. Even though I edited the Prom Night retro, I kept most of the "What We Have Been Watching" section from both, probably because I was worried the retro part may be a little boring, so in that time frame we watched a LOT of movies, myself especially. Again though, now that we are up and running bi-weekly, that section should be a lot shorter.

As for the overall time, my girlfriend said the same haha, way too long! Mind you, she has never really listened to a podcast, and doesn't like horror movies. I personally think two hours is a good length as my favourite podcasts (Horror Etc., Profondo Cinema, Hysteria Lives, After Movie Diner) are min. two hours, some of them 3+. I guess it's a preference thing, and maybe we haven't earned that length yet haha. We don't really have a set time, but all three recordings have seemed to get to that length. Maybe I can better edit them a little tighter? We are trying something different for the month of Oct. though so hopefully they will be shorter.

And last but not least, as for another segment, I totally agree! We have talked about this and will try something for the Oct. episodes and see what people think. We have tried to stay away from talking about anything news related as I find at least for me, when I find out about a new podcast, I like to go back and listen to their back catalog and anything news related is usually pretty boring. It definitely needs something to mix it up though, that's for sure!

Either way thanks for the feedback guys! I do truly appreciate it and am taking it all into consideration. Hearing that the podcast is great from friends is nice to hear, but hearing what doesn't work from regular folk is even more important. Some people have loved the "What We've Been Watching" section, but found the retro half dragged on a little, others the opposite. It's all about trying to find that right balance I guess.

As for who I am. I am Kyle, the dude with a bit of a slur that tends to for some odd reason drop words out of a sentence haha (Also the one that hadn't seen Airplane ). I would say as of right now, I am the one that leads the podcast along, while my friend Matty is the one that has the quick wit and drops a lot of the jokes. Hopefully he will start talking a little more though as I feel he is the star of the show. He unfortunately isn't a member from this site as he isn't on a computer very much and his phone is from the stone age before searching on the net was actually reasonable to do.

My Movie Collection

Last edited by spawningblue; 09-23-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Ash28M
HackMaster

Listened to the Prom Night episode. Really enjoyed it spawningblue. It's definitely going on my rotation.

Last edited by Ash28M; 09-24-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Listened the Prom Night episode. Really enjoyed it spawningblue. It's definitely going on my rotation.
Awesome, thanks Ash!

My Movie Collection

Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
spawningblue
Deadite

Episode 3 is now up where we chat about the Hills Have Eyes series!

My Movie Collection

Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

The website looks great. I actually just watched Remote Control the other night. I LOVE podcasts and genre ones especially. I will definitely give this a listen soon and report back.

oh, and I'm a fan of longer podcasts. I think 2 - 3 hours is about the length of my faves, too.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
The website looks great. I actually just watched Remote Control the other night. I LOVE podcasts and genre ones especially. I will definitely give this a listen soon and report back.

oh, and I'm a fan of longer podcasts. I think 2 - 3 hours is about the length of my faves, too.
Thanks, let me know what you think!

My Movie Collection

Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
Dobby
HackMaster

I'd welcome a podcast talking about the Friday the 13th films.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
spawningblue
Deadite

I'd love to do one but will probably wait until I pick up the Bluray set which I am unfortunately waiting to drop in price, as it's pretty pricey here in Canada. That would definitely have to be a 2 or 3 parter and I would want to do it right considering its one of my favourite series. So we will definitely tackle it at some time, but probably a little later on when hopefully we have got our shit together and feel like we could deliver a solid couple I episodes.

My Movie Collection

Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Dobby
HackMaster

Another podcast you could do is the worst horror films. I`d welcome a three hour eposode on that subject for sure.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote