Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Matt89
HackMaster

Arrow Films Sale!

So there's a ton of blu-rays on sale on Arrow's site. A lot of stuff bumped down to £7.99 and a bunch of steelbooks for £9.99.

Here's the link: http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...tegory&path=66

I've never ordered from their site but when I go to pay it only gives me the option of paying by paypal. Seems strange that I can't just pay with my credit card.

~Matt
Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

I finally signed up for an account and grabbed the Foxy Brown steelbook for $22 shipped to New York. Not too bad but for some reason I thought it would be cheaper. Depending on how quickly I receive orders versus Amazon UK I may start buying direct from these guys in the future.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Christy
Victim

These prices are in £ sucks our American currency is crap. What starts out as low £ is like $20+$30 a pop on our end. By the way sorry I said crap but our money is rubbish.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I already have everything I want that's Region 0. I wish Deranged was because I'd grab that. Phenomena is probably the only slight possibility, but I'll probably wait for a US release.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
I already have everything I want that's Region 0. I wish Deranged was because I'd grab that. Phenomena is probably the only slight possibility, but I'll probably wait for a US release.

Can't wait to see what Synapse does with Phenomena - if it looks half as good as Demons I'll be very happy. This is my #1 Argento flick. It's infinitely watchable IMO.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post
These prices are in £ sucks our American currency is crap. What starts out as low £ is like $20+$30 a pop on our end. By the way sorry I said crap but our money is rubbish.
The pound has always been significantly higher than the US dollar though. And £7.99 only comes to $13.09 US. Pretty awesome considering these are fully loaded special editions.

~Matt
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
The pound has always been significantly higher than the US dollar though. And £7.99 only comes to $13.09 US. Pretty awesome considering these are fully loaded special editions.

~Matt
yeah, I find the prices on sites like amazon.co.uk to be pretty exceptional. I ordered the 21 (?) film Complete Hammer Box Set from them a few months ago, and with shipping it only came out to around $35. BD's like Mummy's Shroud, The Reptile, Tenebre, or House by the Cemetery were all $15 or less after shipping.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

I snatched up Phenomena and People Under the Stairs... I hadn't caught that Synapse was doing Phenomena, otherwise I might have waited to see if either version was superior.

Last edited by Kim Bruun; 12-03-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Franco
Weekender

I've been ordering a good quantity of title lately from UK (always verifing it's the best release in Blu-Ray than the american or australian or the japanese) because it's cheaper in the UK, not only the product itself but the shipping charges.

I don't know why Amazon US is charging so much for shipping as well. They used to ship items for much less. Something must've changed there.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
I've been ordering a good quantity of title lately from UK (always verifing it's the best release in Blu-Ray than the american or australian or the japanese) because it's cheaper in the UK, not only the product itself but the shipping charges.

I don't know why Amazon US is charging so much for shipping as well. They used to ship items for much less. Something must've changed there.
On the Amazon.co.uk marketplace I can order from American sellers and it only costs me £1.26 shipping to the UK!! Now thats cheap shipping.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I heard a rumor that there's a loophole for their region locked titles. When the screen comes up that says the disc is the wrong region, press stop and then top menu. It should take you to the disc's main menu.

Can anyone confirm if this works? Specifically on a Sony player if possible (I also have a Pioneer I could hook up). I'm thinking about placing an $80 order and am curious to know before I pull the trigger.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I heard a rumor that there's a loophole for their region locked titles. When the screen comes up that says the disc is the wrong region, press stop and then top menu. It should take you to the disc's main menu.

Can anyone confirm if this works? Specifically on a Sony player if possible (I also have a Pioneer I could hook up). I'm thinking about placing an $80 order and am curious to know before I pull the trigger.
Well I just set my region free player to region A and tried it on their region B-locked disc of The Fury and it doesn't seem to work. You might not want to place that order.

I grabbed Motel Hell, Deranged, Squirm, The Last American Virgin, Time Bandits and Runaway Train.

I can't wait for these. Down to the packaging, booklets and special features they're the closest equivalent to Criterion in terms of cult cinema I believe. As of lately they've been just incredible with their releases. I've bought so many. Last month alone I bought The Fury, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Lifeforce and The Tin Drum. City of the Living Dead was also really cheap on Amazon UK a couple days ago so I added that to an order with Arrow's edition of House By the Cemetery and their upcoming The Long Goodbye. I also have an order pending for their steelbooks of The Beyond and Tenebrae. LOL I need to stop.

~Matt

Last edited by Matt89; 12-04-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

^ Thanks for checking Matt.

I did a little more digging and consulted a member from blu-ray.com. The menu trick only works on certain Arrow releases. From what I understand, the trick does work on Spider Baby and Runaway Train. It does not work on Motel Hell, and no go on The Fury via Matt.

Would be curious to know if it works on:
The Last American Virgin
The People Under The Stairs
Deranged
The Car

as those are the titles left in my cart.

I have 4 of their releases (Vamp and Bay Of Blood blu-rays, Slaughter High and Island Of Death DVDs) from back when they were region free. This region locking stuff is a bummer.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:

I wish that would work with all titles. The only thing I know for sure it does work on is Return of the Living Dead LE steelbook from Second Sight, although it's just top menu without the stop. I know this because I own it and have done it on my region A only Sony player. From all I've heard and read, Arrow is completely region B these days, ever since the fire.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #15
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:

I can tell you that it definitely doesn't work. Tried it on my Sony and nothing.