Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Cannibal Holocaust in on Hulu?!?!?!

Let that sink in for a moment. One of the most famously shock/disturbing/unsettling (and still surprisingly powerful) films ever made is now available for anyone in the world to stream instantly to their computers and smart TVs.

I'm old. So, I grew up in the days when you had to hunt down shady bootlegs of indeterminate quality on VHS for this sort of stuff. Getting your hands on a copy of Cannibal Holocaust was a trophy followed with near ritualistic secrecy as you would selectively and celebratorily screen the film to your friends and those who soon no longer be your friends.

I always knew that the internet would make all things available. But, I don't think I would have ever expected that something of this ilk would ever make it to a widely available and publicly accepted arena. And certainly not in such pristine quality and (as far as I can remember) uncut. I wonder if they'll end up getting the Guinea Pig or August Underground movies in the future.

There are so many CH threads that I really wasn't sure which one to post in. So, I apologize for adding another.

And besides, I think the headline is the most important part.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Anaestheus
HackMaster

And, dammit, why do I never catch my typos until after I hit the "post" button.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
ronnie21
HackMaster

No thanks. seen this back in 88 on VHS, and wasn't right for like a week. It was so disturbing specially when your 14 seeing it.. It was so disturbing, think I actually needed to talk to a professional to get my sanity back on track. Never again.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Cooperkill
Stalker

I would say it's the most disgusting movie of all time. The turtle scene alone can induce unexpected vomiting. To all those kids who get it on Hulu and don't know what to expect: good luck!

Last edited by Cooperkill; 12-08-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Cooperkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
hellraiser40
Maniac

the sad thing is that without all the animal sequences, the movie wouldn't be infamous, but just famous, because despite it all it's very well made, with some amazing music

tbh, the animal scenes in Cannibal Ferox (especially the first one) are so fierce that i've only watched that one once
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser40 View Post
the sad thing is that without all the animal sequences, the movie wouldn't be infamous
Sad? Or justified?

Let's face facts- this is not a documentary. It's not meta. It's not about killing for a film, or genuinely testing audiences, or contemplating the borders of taste or how far film is allowed to go. It's about You Forgetting that the makers tortured actual living things and somehow believing there's any way to transition from the filmmakers doing it to the characters doing it. In the context of the film, which couldn't be more manipulative and hypocritical, believing it was Just The Characters doing this (and using the deaths' "realness" to just make you hate The Characters) to prove a point. Well: fuck that. That's like pointing at a black man in a crowded room, shouting the N word, then holding a white guy in front of you and pointing at everyone in the room for pointing at That Guy instead of you.

Blaming someone else for what you've done doesn't change a damn thing. The filmmakers are their own bad guys. But somehow, most people who are willing to look at the film refuse to see that. And - since the film was made - Deodato has been only too happy to say the reason he did all of this was because it's what the people wanted to see. Blaming his audience for doing such horrible things. Again, it's the kind of thing that should piss fans off yet I remain in the minority giving a damn about not just how wrong it was in general but how its use in the film is of only the worst hack metaphor variety. Hell- by comparison, Tom Six didn't think this little of his audience when he made The Human Centipede (the sequel, however, is a different matter) but millions of IMDb voters were proud to use the film as an example to prove they don't appreciate being pandered to.

What can I say? I respect that. People who torture animals, yet are not out of their mind when they do? And seem to feel no remorse whatsoever- which, thanks to defenders of the film, they don't have to...

You've got to be kidding me!
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Sad? Or justified?

Let's face facts- this is not a documentary. It's not meta. It's not about killing for a film, or genuinely testing audiences, or contemplating the borders of taste or how far film is allowed to go. It's about You Forgetting that the makers tortured actual living things and somehow believing there's any way to transition from the filmmakers doing it to the characters doing it. In the context of the film, which couldn't be more manipulative and hypocritical, believing it was Just The Characters doing this (and using the deaths' "realness" to just make you hate The Characters) to prove a point. Well: fuck that. That's like pointing at a black man in a crowded room, shouting the N word, then holding a white guy in front of you and pointing at everyone in the room for pointing at That Guy instead of you.

Blaming someone else for what you've done doesn't change a damn thing. The filmmakers are their own bad guys. But somehow, most people who are willing to look at the film refuse to see that. And - since the film was made - Deodato has been only too happy to say the reason he did all of this was because it's what the people wanted to see. Blaming his audience for doing such horrible things. Again, it's the kind of thing that should piss fans off yet I remain in the minority giving a damn about not just how wrong it was in general but how its use in the film is of only the worst hack metaphor variety. Hell- by comparison, Tom Six didn't think this little of his audience when he made The Human Centipede (the sequel, however, is a different matter) but millions of IMDb voters were proud to use the film as an example to prove they don't appreciate being pandered to.

What can I say? I respect that. People who torture animals, yet are not out of their mind when they do? And seem to feel no remorse whatsoever- which, thanks to defenders of the film, they don't have to...

I remember animals being killed not tortured. Maybe I've forgotten though.

I don't see what the big deal is though (in relation to this film). The film is old and that sort of thing wasn't a big deal back then. These days it's a different story and there's all sorts of groups that protects animals and they have rights and what-not.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
hellraiser40
Maniac

Quote:
Sad? Or justified?

wel, the 'infamous' tag is justified because of what happens

it's also sad, but in 2 ways

1) the animals were in fact killed, strangely enough the turtle scene i can take more than the first scene where (some kind of) rodent gets a knife pulled through its throat, which to me is more in the realm of torture

2) the quality of all the other elements of this movie (acting, message, compositions, SFX, music,...) were good, or efficient, enough to act on themselves, it doesn't need some animals getting killed

now, something interesting came along this week, i was watching Discovery channel (or was it National Geographic) and they were filming rice plantations in some part of the Filipines, a tribal community there

apparently, when they plant the rice, they want to appease the gods so they take a live pig, cut it open in the chest and then puncture the heart, so as to get a good harvest

we don't get to see it as in-your-face as in CH, but we (and the host standing there) hear the squeeling of the pig as it gets cut open (not dead, just cut open to get his heart pierced afterwards) and see a couple of seconds of it

the tribals are stonefaced about it, they surely must have seen this done hundreds of times

this made me think of certain things

* is it purely informative that a channel shows this or is it also to spice up an otherwise quite dry documentary of rice plantations?

* do these tribals qualify as savages? should they be put to justice? and what does that mean?

and some other things too

so, what do you think?
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
j tea
Stalker

I would say human nature is to be arrogant and oblivious. The majority of people, when confronted with the facts about where their animal-based foodstuffs come from say "I would rather not know", or "I can't think about it too much." At least in contemporary society, I would say it has less to do with human nature and more to do with convenience and arrogance.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Matt89
HackMaster

Well I Spit on Your Grave is on Netflix...I was surprised by that too.

~Matt
Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Cannibal Holocaust really isn't that bad a film. It definitely feels raw at times but I was surprised at how well made it was and that it actually had a purpose, story and message.

I'm still waiting for a totally uncut blu of this. I don't find the animal killings to be that disturbing because I read that they ate what they killed; so I'm ok with that.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

The big deal? Have you ever seen an animal being harmed? Just watch someone squeezing a cat's paw too hard and it really reacts. And it feels horrible to see.

The big deal is that some people are blinding themselves to how much it actually matters because they don't care or want to know what it's like to see an animal abused. But it comes down to empathy and it's wrong to torment any living thing unless you absolutely have to- like giving it a shot or removing a tick or something. Even then, it's a horrible experience.

The fact is: it is a big deal. And people should care.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
The big deal? Have you ever seen an animal being harmed? Just watch someone squeezing a cat's paw too hard and it really reacts. And it feels horrible to see.

The big deal is that some people are blinding themselves to how much it actually matters because they don't care or want to know what it's like to see an animal abused. But it comes down to empathy and it's wrong to torment any living thing unless you absolutely have to- like giving it a shot or removing a tick or something. Even then, it's a horrible experience.

The fact is: it is a big deal. And people should care.
That's torturing though, killing is like putting a bullet in them or cutting open that turtle real quick in CH. I don't agree with torture but if you're killing an animal real quick for food then it's not a big deal.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

It's highly debatable though how quick that turtle actually "went." Or the other animals in the film.

Otherwise, of course, I agree. Though we are living in a world where it's not essential to kill animals for food anymore (depending upon where you live). Meat is the most expensive thing to buy in America's supermarkets- it borders on a luxury in our lousy economy. Vegetables and fruits are only pricier than Hot Pockets or certain White Castle type ripoffs. With that in mind, I trust hunters and fishers to treat their "game" more humanely than anyone Fast Fooding their animal stock (including for frozen packaged products like Hungry Man, etc).
Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
It's highly debatable though how quick that turtle actually "went." Or the other animals in the film.

Otherwise, of course, I agree. Though we are living in a world where it's not essential to kill animals for food anymore (depending upon where you live). Meat is the most expensive thing to buy in America's supermarkets- it borders on a luxury in our lousy economy. Vegetables and fruits are only pricier than Hot Pockets or certain White Castle type ripoffs. With that in mind, I trust hunters and fishers to treat their "game" more humanely than anyone Fast Fooding their animal stock (including for frozen packaged products like Hungry Man, etc).
I believe it was just its nerves going spaz that kept it moving around, just like when you cut the head of a chicken off.
It may not be necessary to eat meat but I still believe it's in our human nature to do so.