Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-16-2002, 05:59 AM   #1
Werner Von Wallenrod

Question The Kingdom

So, I'm not crazy, am I?
The PAL DVD is cut? Missing stuff like the opening meeting, at the beginning of the film, that Stig is late to?
That sucks.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:13 AM   #2
joltaddict
HackMaster

My PAL The Kingdom has that scene.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:17 AM   #3
Werner Von Wallenrod

Wait. Your PAL DVD of The Kingdom has the scene where Helmer requests the CT Scan because Stig isn't there, or your DVD just jumps into the meeting with Stig arriving late to the meeting, and everybody's already getting up and leaving?
...Is your disc the ICA Projects one?
Old 10-16-2002, 04:22 PM   #4
David666

There is a Canadian disc of this film that I would love to get. Does anyone have any info on it? Thanks
Old 10-16-2002, 05:25 PM   #5
joltaddict
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Werner Von Wallenrod
Wait. Your PAL DVD of The Kingdom has the scene where Helmer requests the CT Scan because Stig isn't there
Yes.

Maybe the DVD is borked, sounds like its jumping ahead a chapter.
joltaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 04:31 AM   #6
Werner Von Wallenrod

OK. I've checked it out, and the DVD is definitely not skipping. The only scene of the first morning meeting has the young doctor asking Helmer about the sleep lab, and then Stig walks in and the meeting is already over.
I used to have the NTSC DVD (I upgraded), and I could SWEAR there was a scene earlier on, at that same meeting, where everyone decided not to wait for Stig to begin the meeting because he was late, and Helmer requested the CT Scan he knew Stig wouldn't've allowed... Are you sure that's in your PAL version, Jolt? Could there be two versions of this DVD or something? Can anyone verify that this scene exists in the NTSC version (and not some crazy hallucination on my part)?
...There are a few other scenes in this DVD which seemed trimmed for pacing, too.
<---me going insane
Old 10-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #7
joltaddict
HackMaster

Its definitely in mine. I bought this blind and the only version I have seen is this disc. I absolutely saw that scene you describe. I have the Zentropa R0 PAL. It has a logo for "Forel" on the cover and the DVD itself. All the other branding seems to be in Japanese though, not sure if thats enough info. I can take a pic of the cover if you want.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:41 AM   #8
Werner Von Wallenrod

Ummm yeah, could you scan it? I thought there was only one NTSC disc, and one PAL disc.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #9
joltaddict
HackMaster

My scanner sucks, my digicam is better. Is this a different version?
Old 10-20-2002, 01:40 AM   #10
Werner Von Wallenrod

Ahhh... Yeah. That actually looks like the NTSC disc (which I used to own). Check this PokerIndustries link: http://pokerindustries.com/acatalog/...G___M_141.html
I've got the Pal one that they list fourth (and the NTSC version of Kingdom II). And I think we've determined that one's definitely cut...
Old 10-20-2002, 02:01 AM   #11
joltaddict
HackMaster

Holy crap youre right.

I dont use Poker for anything but PAL DVDs I cant find anywhere else. SORRY! I think I may be coming down with a bad case of retarded.

Last edited by joltaddict; 10-20-2002 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:09 AM   #12
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

I've heard a lot about this movie and read some about it in Fangoria. I'd like to check out the NTSC version sometime. Hopefully its as good as I've heard.
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:42 AM   #13
Werner Von Wallenrod

The Kingdom rocks, dude.
Lars Von Trier does horror.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:25 PM   #14
Fart Lighter

okay, so where do I get the uncut one? The UK disk is the cut version then? is it the 3 disker from Poker to get? Isn't that availabe from generral r1 retailers?
Old 10-25-2002, 11:30 PM   #15
Werner Von Wallenrod

Yeah, the 3-disc is the one to get, but the (cut) r2 does still have some advantages: a substantially better picture, accurate subtitles (the NTSC discs have crazy typos and poor translations in almost every line), subtitled speeches (in the closing credits of each episode, Lars Von Trier talks to the audience... the NTSC cuts all the closing credits out, except the final one on each disc, and doesn't even subtitle those, so you're like, "what's that guy saying at the end?!?"), and a roughly hour-long documentary on Lars Von Trier's work up to and including The Kingdom 2.
Basically, the PAL disc blows the NTSC disc out of the water - except it's cut (which is a very big exception, obviously). So, each make your own decision (or get both versions, like I'm doin').