Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-27-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
J-Dub

Night of the Living Dead...which version is best?

There are 3 versions. Should I pick up the Anchor Bay, the Elite version. The one put out by Alpha doesn't look too good. I'm not familiar with that company.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
Nemesis

elite millenium version.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

There are a lot more than just three versions, there are more than 12.

Night of the Living Dead (Millennium Edition) by Elite is the best one.

Night of the Living Dead (Special Collector's Edition) by Elite is 2nd best.

avoid the rest

- Johann von Goethe
KR~! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
JW77
Support Halliburton

Either of the Elite versions. These are the only decent versions of this movie out there. Accept no substitutes.

I think the "Millennium Edition" might have a slightly superior transfer and a few more special features, but I'm quite satisfied with my Elite "Special Collector's Edition." Both have the Romero and cast commentaries.

Avoid the Anchor Bay 30th Anniversary edition.

Fox also put out a colorized version (which also included the black and white) -- I haven't seen it yet.

Anything else is likely to be a public domain print with a shitty transfer.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." -- Harry J. Anslinger, first commissioner of the United States Bureau of Narcotics
JW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
baggio
HackMaster

go with the Millennium Edition
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Paff

Actually, the best version is the Elite SE laserdisc, if that's a viable option.

There are still extras on that LD that did not make it to the Millenium Edition.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff
Actually, the best version is the Elite SE laserdisc, if that's a viable option.
Even in terms of video quality?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett
Even in terms of video quality?
Actually, yes

It's not anamorphic, so that's not a factor. There are also many people who believe that B&W comes out better on laserdisc than DVD.

I've compared the both, and they're pretty much the same. I'm certain they were taken from the same master.

So with the SE LD, you get almost identical picture quality, superior sound, all of the commentaries, and 400 stills that are not on the DVD. Yes, I'd definitely say the Elite Laserdisc is still the best version of NOTLD out there.

(after I reviewed the Millenium Edition DVD, I sent it back to Dave, as I clearly did not need it)

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 06-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff
Actually, yes

It's not anamorphic, so that's not a factor. There are also many people who believe that B&W comes out better on laserdisc than DVD.

I've compared the both, and they're pretty much the same. I'm certain they were taken from the same master.

So with the SE LD, you get almost identical picture quality, superior sound, all of the commentaries, and 400 stills that are not on the DVD. Yes, I'd definitely say the Elite Laserdisc is still the best version of NOTLD out there.

(after I reviewed the Millenium Edition DVD, I sent it back to Dave, as I clearly did not need it)
[Mortal Kombat]Impressive.[/Mortal Kombat]
Old 06-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
Paff

Although I need to throw in, if one does not have a laserdisc player, then the Millenium Edition is the way to go.

I made it sound like the ME is a big pile of dog vomit, when actually it's an outstanding release. It's just not as good as the LD, that's all.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 06-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
jscott
Guided By Voices

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, Paff. My Millenium Edition DVD has less "picture noise", and more solid blacks and grays, than my Elite LD (but the supplement disc is worth it's weight in gold for GAR freaks). Now here's where it gets fun. I'm running a mid-level Sony DVD player, with component connection, to a 32" Toshiba analog TV, and my CLD-702 is running to the TV via composite cable. I realize that there are better players than my 702 (is this in the Laser Disc forum?), and no I haven't set up my TV with Video Essentials, but to my eye, the Millenium Edition has a sharper, more solid picture. I'm wondering if the comb filter on your Sony Vega (you still have that TV?) is working some magic for your 704?
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #12
J-Dub

I read some reviews of the "Milenium" edition on Amazon and some reviewers trashed it because it includes some new footage shot 30 years later, and a new score. I'll probably pick up the Anniversary edition and possibly the laserdisc being that I have a laserdisc player.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
Nemesis

It's mixed around there J-Dub, it's the anniversary edition that has the new footage and new score.. the Millenium one is the correct one to get
Old 06-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #14
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I own the Millinium, 30th Anniversary, and Colorized DVDs of Night Of The Living Dead, and the Millinium edition is the way to go.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #15
Paff

I'll also chime in that that Amazon review is wrong. Do NOT buy the "Anniversary" edition, buy the "Millenium". (If you're buying the DVDs, of course)

Paff's Laserdiscs