Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
rhett

Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

This thread is an offset of the Track the Films You Watch thread.

See a film on somebody's list that you want to know more about? Want to know why they watched that film? Want to recommend others? Or do you just want to shoot the shit? Whatever your fancy, use this thread to spark discussion on the movies that all of us are watching and logging this year.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Workshed
October!

I searched for "Little Miss Sunshine" and came up with zilch. Did I somehow miss the discussion?

I saw this for the first time last night and enjoyed it, although the hype led me to believe there would be more.

Some relatively stock indie characters, but the performances really brought the funny. Loved the characters of Duane, Grandpa, Frank, and, of course, Olive. The scene with her at the answering machine was so great.

Just about every scene in the bus was a winner, especially Frank's sarcastic conversation with the dad.

Alan Arkin did a really understated job in a role that could have given another actor excuses to chew scenery ("Always with the goddamn fucking chicken!").

I won't spoil the pageant, except to say that it was very funny and could have been longer. Those little girls were creepy. I cannot believe those things still exist. Beth Grant essentially reprised her role in Donnie Darko, though, which was somewhat disappointing. I'll also say that the ending was a letdown, and the four alternate endings certainly point to a bit of indecision on the writer's end as to how to end this film.

Overall, a fun, dark film.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
I searched for "Little Miss Sunshine" and came up with zilch. Did I somehow miss the discussion?
I still haven't seen it, but am planning to next week with my lil sister. I did see Children of Men tonight, though, and it was brilliant.

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Awesome movie. I saw it in the theatres and loved it. Funny stuff.

I watched Mike Judge's new movie, Idiocracy, yestereday. It comes out on DVD on the 9th. Really funny. Check it out! It's about Luke Wilson who plays and 'Average Joe' who partakes in an army experiment for human hibarnation. He was only supposed to be in it for a year, but unbeknowest to him thing's went wrong and he wakes up in 2505. And he finds society is so dumbed down via commercialization and what-not that he is now the smartest man alive and must save the world.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post

I watched Mike Judge's new movie, Idiocracy, yestereday. It comes out on DVD on the 9th. Really funny. Check it out! It's about Luke Wilson who plays and 'Average Joe' who partakes in an army experiment for human hibarnation. He was only supposed to be in it for a year, but unbeknowest to him thing's went wrong and he wakes up in 2505. And he finds society is so dumbed down via commercialization and what-not that he is now the smartest man alive and must save the world.
I thought this was coming out theatrically? I saw an ad for it hitting DVD on the 9th and was surprised. I'll definitely be renting that.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:38 AM   #6
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHerbertWest View Post
I thought this was coming out theatrically? I saw an ad for it hitting DVD on the 9th and was surprised. I'll definitely be renting that.
Really? Sounds very promising. Definitely check it out.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
DopeChamberX

Thumbs up

Anyone else see Dreamgirls yet? I've seen it a few times now (I know, paint me pink and call me Mary ) and I love it. It is nowhere near the best movie of the year, but it's really good none the less. Everyone is really amazing in this film. Eddie Murphy really does the performance of his career in this and should win awards for it. Too bad he wants to go back for another Beverly Hills Cop now. I was most surprised by the fact that Beyonce actually shows emotion in this. She's not just a walking doll for the first time in a role. Of course, Jennifer Hudson brought the house down. She stole every single scene that she was in. Her performance of "And I'm Telling You" gives me goosebumps each time. The first screening I went to actually erupted in applause after that song. She deserves Supporting Actress nods for sure!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Haven't seen Dreamgirls yet, but I'm really looking forward to it! I don't think we'll have it over here until February or March, though ...

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
RyanPC

I watched Messiah of Evil a few days ago for the first time. I was sort of disappointed after all the hype in that "underrated" thread, but I thought it was a good film.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #10
allmessedup
It's beer time.

Count me in among those who loved LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE.

I think IDIOCRACY was the victim of studio sabotage--I remember reading about it months ago, so it was probably one of the cases where the studio decided not to support and give it very limited release.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #11
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPC View Post
I watched Messiah of Evil a few days ago for the first time. I was sort of disappointed after all the hype in that "underrated" thread, but I thought it was a good film.
Same here. Overhyped, although worth watching once. But I'll probably never watch it again.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:20 AM   #12
allmessedup
It's beer time.

Had the misfortune of sitting through FEAST last night---speaking of studio sabotage, this is a case where it was totally justified. I hate that I wasted a netflix rental on it. Worst I've seen in a while.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #13
life_o_petey

feast was one of the better horror movies i've seen from recent years.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:00 AM   #14
Workshed
October!

A buddy of mine just premiered his third ski video: Worland Warriors II: Enter the Worland, in Boulder. I flew out for the opening and it was great, There is a segment of back-country skiing that is awesome.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Hellbilly,
I like the way you're doing your list...but I'm confused over your double-inclusion of Zatoichi in the top five. Take a look at your post. I'll have to check that flick out soon. It's another DVD in my "to watch" list that I must have had for a year.

I've put off Little Miss Sunshine forever, but I'll check it out now that it has all the nods...and since everyone here seems to be digging it.

I liked Children of Men more for its technical brilliance (and Clive Owen was awesome) but I thought it kind of came up a bit flat overall. I'll probably see it again eventually.

I'm still in love with We Are Marshall which I saw on Xmas Eve. It's a typical kind of emotional drama, but I thought it really worked and the cast was terrific. Not normally a sucker for these things, but I think it's being overlooked. Check it out.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote