Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
Hellbilly,
I like the way you're doing your list...but I'm confused over your double-inclusion of Zatoichi in the top five. Take a look at your post. I'll have to check that flick out soon. It's another DVD in my "to watch" list that I must have had for a year.
Sorry for the confusion. I couldn't find a small/good enough Image for Sonatine (#5) so I used the same image twice from the Miramax Double Feature DVD that has Zatoichi and Sonatine on one disc (which is the source of my viewing):

Movie Tracker 2014

Last edited by Hellbilly; 01-24-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #17
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I couldn't find a small/good enough Image for Sonatine (#5) so I used the same image twice from the Miramax Double Feature DVD that has Zatoichi and Sonatine on one disc (which is the source of my viewing):

Now I get it. How very clever of you.

Sonatine rules, by the way. Another cool one is "Violent Cop" from his earlier years.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Quote:
Now I get it. How very clever of you.

Sonatine rules, by the way. Another cool one is "Violent Cop" from his earlier years.
Hell yes, Sonatine kicks all sorts of asses. I'll have to check out Violent Cop. Thanks for the tip

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

I've now added brief comments to my viewings, and have done my own little version of Hellbilly's best of the month. Admittedly, a lazier version.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #20
Workshed
October!

This weekend, I watched Dagon for the first time. I had no expectations and I was very surprised to find myself laughing and cringing during this film. What a great horror movie. Yes yes, the CGI is awful, but the makeup looked pretty good and the performances were right on.

And the ending?

Spoiler:
When his girlfriend is pulled up from the depths and she says, "Kill me..." And you know she was under for just a little too long--yikes!

Not to mention quotables lines like:

Spoiler:
"You are my brother. You will be my lover." "You're a bunch of fucking freaks."

Great stuff. The film made me feel a little bit of dread for the female characters, and I could relate to the male character's disbelief and wry sense of desperation. I would watch this again for sure.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Quote:
I've put off Little Miss Sunshine forever, but I'll check it out now that it has all the nods...and since everyone here seems to be digging it.
Same here, I really need to see this. However, from what I've heard, it's not as brilliant as some people say. I've been warned not expect anything truly terrific, just a good comedy that's been over-praised in some circles.

But as I say, I haven't seen it so I don't know, but I've been told ...

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #22
DopeChamberX

Got to see Reno 911!: Miami last night at a special screening. Pretty damn funny movie. Definately not the funniest movie I've seen lately but it is the best since Borat came out. Best part of the night though was that after the movie Deputy Travis Junior, Deputy Trudy Wiegel & Lieutenant Jim Dangle were there for a Q & A afterwards (I say their character's names, since they came in character to answer the questions). Priceless
Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 AM   #23
_pi_
Peace, bitch

So, anyone out there seen Marie Antoinette? I was thinking about starting a thread on it, but didn't really know what to write, except I thought it was wonderful and gorgeous and brilliant. I think Sofia Coppola may be the real deal. One more film of this caliber and I'm a fan for life!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #24
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pi_ View Post
So, anyone out there seen Marie Antoinette? I was thinking about starting a thread on it, but didn't really know what to write, except I thought it was wonderful and gorgeous and brilliant. I think Sofia Coppola may be the real deal. One more film of this caliber and I'm a fan for life!

Saw it back when it was in theatres. It was a nice little film and definitely gorgeous to look at, but I've yet to be really blown away by Coppola jr.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 PM   #25
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Great movie. Great production values, great cinematography, great acting, great story, funny, and the music is superb.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 AM   #26
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett
01/08 - Notorious (1946) - ***
01/30 - Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - **
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett
From the Wicker-Man (2005) DVD Review:

Movie - A-

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #27
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Ok, I just came from seeing Dreamgirls, which I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was.

Now, I understand and accept that some people simply don't like musicals. Some people don't "get" them, some aren't used to them and some just actively dislike them (which is to say, my flatmate).

So why do these people go to see this film on opening night and then laugh or moan/sigh loudly when the characters start to sing? Is it so unimaginable that people would actually sing and dance in the MUSICAL Dreamgirls? Just what did these people expect, exactly?

I'm willing to bet these are the same people who spent money to see The Exorcist when it was re-released only to laugh at it because it's "cool" to laugh at old horror movies. I'm actually glad they spent their money on such a worthless experience, but I just wish they'd done it when I wasn't sitting in front of them ...

Old 02-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #28
DopeChamberX

Quote:
Ok, I just came from seeing Dreamgirls, which I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was.

Now, I understand and accept that some people simply don't like musicals. Some people don't "get" them, some aren't used to them and some just actively dislike them (which is to say, my flatmate).

So why do these people go to see this film on opening night and then laugh or moan/sigh loudly when the characters start to sing? Is it so unimaginable that people would actually sing and dance in the MUSICAL Dreamgirls? Just what did these people expect, exactly?

I'm willing to bet these are the same people who spent money to see The Exorcist when it was re-released only to laugh at it because it's "cool" to laugh at old horror movies. I'm actually glad they spent their money on such a worthless experience, but I just wish they'd done it when I wasn't sitting in front of them ...
I had the same thing happen the fist time I saw this. I was at a free screening and everytime someone would start to sing this guy right in front of me would throw his hands up in the air and make some jackass comment about how they just sung something. See, I don't know about him, but when I attend a musical I expect a good majority to be sung. Some people are just retarded. Why he felt the need to sit through the whole movie doing that, instead of just walking out, since he would not have lost any money, is beyond me.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #29
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Yeah. This kind of experience makes you wonder why on earth you bother to go the cinema anymore. Not that I'm quitting the theatrical experience, but sometimes watching films at home is far more satisfying.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #30
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

I'm embarassed to admit this, but here it goes: I finally sat down and watched Rocky all the way through for the first time in my twenty-two years of living. I really enjoyed it and I can finally understand why people say it's one of the, if not THE, greatest sports films of all time.

Just watched Eddie Murphy's Delirious for the first time, too. I can't believe how hilarious he was with every single joke he told. Just his charisma and delivery were fantastic. It makes me wonder why Doctor Doolittle, Daddy Day Care, I-Spy, etc. is coming from this same person now when he used to be so good. Not that all of his films have been terrible, but still....You'll have to pardon me if I don't remember him well... I was born in 1984 so I wasn't around when he was breaking out big.

Anyway, two good films. I'm watching The Science Of Sleep right now. Gael is da man~!!