Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #46
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
10: The Jitters (1988) (V) - NO STARS!

That film was a pain to watch back in the days. For the sake of cheese I wouldn't mind a revisit if it ever gets released on DVD ...
Old 02-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #47
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post

That film was a pain to watch back in the days. For the sake of cheese I wouldn't mind a revisit if it ever gets released on DVD ...
IT WAS HORRIBLE! The music was always too loud so you could never hear the dialouge (which was atrocious anyway), and when there was more than one person talking in a scene, it was as if they had the mic in one spot, so the people furthest away you couldn't hear at all. The story was boring and uninteresting. And the hopping Chinese vampires was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. WOW! A killer Energizer Chinese vampire is hopping after me! SCARY! NOT!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #48
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Stopped by my parents' place today and watched The Punisher with my dad on his killer plasma tv. We had some good laughs at the film. Rebecca Romaine-Lettuce has to be one of the worst actors around. She was wooden in that film. Literally made of wood. Literally. She was a wooden figurine. Her father was Geppetto and he brought her to life through magic.

This was a total smash 'em up flick. It was like a monster truck rally. If I am ever hungover on a Sunday afternoon again and it comes on tv, I'll re-watch it.

The Punisher: "I've got work to do. Read your daily paper and you'll see."

Wooden figurine: "What section?"

The Punisher: "The obituaries."

My dad: "That was a good one."
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 02-12-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #49
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Stopped by my parents' place today and watched The Punisher with my dad on his killer plasma tv. We had some good laughs at the film. Rebecca Romaine-Lettuce has to be one of the worst actors around. She was wooden in that film. Literally made of wood. Literally. She was a wooden figurine. Her father was Geppetto and he brought her to life through magic.

This was a total smash 'em up flick. It was like a monster truck rally. If I am ever hungover on a Sunday afternoon again and it comes on tv, I'll re-watch it.

The Punisher: "I've got work to do. Read your daily paper and you'll see."

Wooden figurine: "What section?"

The Punisher: "The obituaries."

My dad: "That was a good one."
After I watched it last year I searched the web for some good reviews that would enlighten me on the brawler I just saw. I wish I had read this post. And I also wish I had met your dad. You must write more of these mini-reviews, Work.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 AM   #50
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Ha ha, will do, man.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:37 AM   #51
DopeChamberX

Just watched The Astronaut Farmer tonight and it was kind of, eh. Bily Bob & Virgina Madsen were great, as usual, but the film was just a tad too predictable and maudlin for my tastes. You can predict the exact moment a character will pass away in the film from the very moment they walk on screen. It was a passable movie, nothing spectacular. There was some laughable CGI near the end of the movie that totally drew me out of the story. Recommended for a rental or a matinee.

On a side note, after the movie Billy Bob Thornton, the write and the director were there for a Q&A afterwards, what is with people asking the stupidest questions at these things? When I saw a screening of The Fountain last year, a lady actually asked Darren Aronofsky if he liked Red Vines. Makes me a little embarased to be in the same room as these people, lol.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #52
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeChamberX View Post
When I saw a screening of The Fountain last year, a lady actually asked Darren Aronofsky if he liked Red Vines.
Well...does he?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #53
DopeChamberX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Well...does he?
LOL, he does, but then they proceeded to try and give him some of their candy. He understandably looked a little freaked.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #54
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
DrHerbertWest, I see you watched Murphy's Law for the first time! Awesome flick!
Yeah! It's actually my favorite Charles Bronson film so far and I've watched a lot now. So many quotable lines, so much sweet action... It's all one big guilty pleasure.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #55
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

I just watched Southern Comfort last night. Directed/written by Walter Hill and starring Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe, Fred Ward, Peter Coyote and a couple other recognizable faces.

All I can say is.... Wow! I purchased it after reading a review in DVD Delirium and I really enjoyed it. For those that like a mystery plot, it's got it. You like violence? Got it. Suspense? Definitely. Good acting? All the way around.

I can't recommend this enough to people who haven't seen it... Go rent it!

Oh, and as far as the plot goes... A handful of U.S. Reserve Guards are sent on an overnight mission in Louisiana. When they realize their path has been washed out, they "borrow" (steal?) two boats from some Cajun trappers and move down the river. When the cajuns see them on the water, a nasty prank is pulled by the Guards that leads to the soldiers fighting for their lives.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #56
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHerbertWest View Post
I just watched Southern Comfort last night. Directed/written by Walter Hill and starring Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe, Fred Ward, Peter Coyote and a couple other recognizable faces.

All I can say is.... Wow! I purchased it after reading a review in DVD Delirium and I really enjoyed it. For those that like a mystery plot, it's got it. You like violence? Got it. Suspense? Definitely. Good acting? All the way around.

I can't recommend this enough to people who haven't seen it... Go rent it!

Oh, and as far as the plot goes... A handful of U.S. Reserve Guards are sent on an overnight mission in Louisiana. When they realize their path has been washed out, they "borrow" (steal?) two boats from some Cajun trappers and move down the river. When the cajuns see them on the water, a nasty prank is pulled by the Guards that leads to the soldiers fighting for their lives.
Hell yes. I stumbled onto this flick accidentally a few years ago when I saw a used copy for sale for $5 at Blockbuster. I had never heard of it but thought it might be good for a laugh--but it pretty much rocked. I can't believe it doesn't have more of a fan base.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #57
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

I agree Workshed's review was hilarious. :LOL:

DrHerbertWest, Southern Comfort is an amazing film. I have the DVD and previously owned it on VHS. This is one of those films that when you stumble upon it, like I did, it just bowls you over because it's so rarely mentioned. Tremendous.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:45 AM   #58
BroodingHope
Maniac

In referance to Norbit I liked the movie and thought it was funny but the film could have easily been trimmed by 20 minutes and it would have made it a lot better.

- Theodor Adorno

DVD Collection
BroodingHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #59
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Finally caught up with AB's Class Of 1984 and it was much more cheesier then I remembered
Fun and violent flick with a cool title song by Alice Cooper. Class Of 1984 made me wanna watch The New Kids afterwards. I think both go well as a double feature.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #60
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Finally caught up with AB's Class Of 1984 and it was much more cheesier then I remembered
Fun and violent flick with a cool title song by Alice Cooper. Class Of 1984 made me wanna watch The New Kids afterwards. I think both go well as a double feature.
Aw man, I blind bought Class Of 1984 and loved it! That and Vice Squad, both blind buys, both great films that I enjoyed immensely.

As far as Southern Comfort goes, I'm really glad to see all the love for it. I thought no one would've known about it but very happy to find out otherwise!