Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #31
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Relford View Post
DVD

Rawhead Rex- Found this used for $15. Didn't know it was OOP until I did a search here. I love Rex's look. I'll take fake looking practical effects over fake looking CGI anytime. This needs a remastered re-release.

Pieces- Great trash. Really enjoyed the interview with Paul Smith. I forgot about some of the movies that he's been in. Glad they covered Sonny Boy, a movie that needs a DVD release. The interview with Simon wasn't bad. Wish they would've covered his other movies in more detail.
i also found rawhead rex on dvd at a flea market a few months back it was new still sealed for 14.99 i asked if they had any more copies and they said no
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #32
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
On Blu Ray though I grabbed 2001, Bullitt, Daredevil, Dark City, and Hellboy 2.
Bullitt looks beautiful on blu, as does road warrior. i saw that best buy had their kubrick blu's on sale for $15 each and i was sorely tempted. but i'd just bought the dvd box of them all back round xmas and i'm trying to save some cash so i passed on them. but if they put out barry lyndon on blu, that'll be a no-brainer.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
Uncle Jay
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
i also found rawhead rex on dvd at a flea market a few months back it was new still sealed for 14.99 i asked if they had any more copies and they said no
I found Rawhead Rex about 4 years ago, in the $5.99 (or 3 for $10) used bin at Gamestop. I love when I strike gold like that.

However, they need to give this better treatment. I caught RR on Monsters HD a few months back. Looked incredible in HD.

-UJ

Uncle Jay's Laserdiscs
Uncle Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #34
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Thumbs up

Quote:
You got lucky with that one. Mine wasn't in the best shape, but it played without a hitch.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #35
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Bullitt looks beautiful on blu, as does road warrior. i saw that best buy had their kubrick blu's on sale for $15 each and i was sorely tempted. but i'd just bought the dvd box of them all back round xmas and i'm trying to save some cash so i passed on them. but if they put out barry lyndon on blu, that'll be a no-brainer.
Yeah I have Road Warrior and it looks pretty amazing! I have The Shining and Full Metal jacket as well, haven't got around to watching them yet though. Just need to grab Clockwork orange and Eyes Wide Shot now to complete my Kubrick Blu collection, well until the rest get released. I have never seen Barry Lyndon, how is it compared to his other films?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 11-21-2008 at 06:54 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Relford View Post
You got lucky with that one. Mine wasn't in the best shape, but it played without a hitch.
i would love to see lionsgate release a remaster widescreen edition but that will more than likely never happen though i love when Rawhead baptizes Declan i heard there was a longer version of the scene out there somewhere
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #37
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Oh MAN that movie's great. Done in the style of a '40s noir film. Soderberg actually used the same lighting method used in the '40s, as well as having the film presented in academy ratio. The only thing that brings the film down (as with most films he's in) is Tobey Maguire. How he got the lead in Spider-Man over James Franco baffles the fucking mind.

~Matt
I agree. I remember hearing about this movie and thinking "Soderbergh's making a movie in the style of the 40's WB movies. That's like a dream come true." Then, the reviews started coming out and they were mixed, at best, saying that the film was "style over substance" only. It didn't play near me anyway so I just waited for video. Then, when I did finally watch it, I loved it. Sure, the style was great but I really liked the actors and the story too. I disagree with you about Tobey Maguire though. I wouldn't say that I would see a movie because he was in it but I don't think he's a bad actor. James Franco's the same way for me. I don't necessarily think he's a bad actor but I wouldn't see a movie just because he was in it. Although, he was hilarious in Pineapple Express. I just hope that when this hits Blu, that they keep it 1.33:1 and don't crop it to 1.78:1 to "appease" the widescreen TV owners. Sam Raimi can get away with saying that Evil Dead was intended to be matted. Stanley Kubrick's 1.33:1 films were really shown in a matted presentation theatrically (and that's how he wanted it). But, we know that Soderbergh never intended The Good German to be matted.

Quote:
This week I picked up like 20 DVDs cheap, so I don't feel like listing them all. On Blu Ray though I grabbed 2001, Bullitt, Daredevil, Dark City, and Hellboy 2. Waiting to find The Incredible Hulk now, as there were problems with the first batch, and now it's sold out everywhere.
What was wrong with The Incredible Hulk? I picked it up on release date and had no problems with it.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #38
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Hmmm....Bullitt is one of my favorite movies and honestly... it looks HEAPS better than the DVD in terms of color and detail, but I still think it's somewhat lacking. The movie's LOADED with grain. I know that's inherent in the print and I'm not one to complain about grain (I'm completely against DNR-ing a movie) but Bullitt is sometimes overwhelmed with grain. But the Kubrick movies look insane on blu-ray, especially 2001. Absolutely beautiful.

Yeah I really want Barry Lyndon (and Lolita) to come out on blu, since Warner's DVDs (along with GIANT) are STILL non-anamorphic 1.66:1!! It's infuriating. You can't even zoom 1.66:1 without it going to at least 1.78:1 so you're never getting the correct aspect ratio.

~Matt
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #39
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolpitz View Post
I agree. I remember hearing about this movie and thinking "Soderbergh's making a movie in the style of the 40's WB movies. That's like a dream come true." Then, the reviews started coming out and they were mixed, at best, saying that the film was "style over substance" only. It didn't play near me anyway so I just waited for video. Then, when I did finally watch it, I loved it. Sure, the style was great but I really liked the actors and the story too. I disagree with you about Tobey Maguire though. I wouldn't say that I would see a movie because he was in it but I don't think he's a bad actor. James Franco's the same way for me. I don't necessarily think he's a bad actor but I wouldn't see a movie just because he was in it. Although, he was hilarious in Pineapple Express. I just hope that when this hits Blu, that they keep it 1.33:1 and don't crop it to 1.78:1 to "appease" the widescreen TV owners. Sam Raimi can get away with saying that Evil Dead was intended to be matted. Stanley Kubrick's 1.33:1 films were really shown in a matted presentation theatrically (and that's how he wanted it). But, we know that Soderbergh never intended The Good German to be matted.
Yeah I really hope they don't matte the movie (like they did in its theatrical run, but then again, todays theatres aren't equipped to handle the 1.33:1 academy ratio). I really DO hope that they'll actually put some special features on the blu-ray if it ever does come out, though since the DVD was seriouly lackluster. I'm sure Soderberg has a lot to say about this film im terms of its production and I think a commentary and doc would prove to be really interesting.

But yeah, can't stand Tobey Maguire. He's an awful actor, he can never get "emotion" right. Whenever he gets angry or upset it just looks fake. James Franco, on the other hand. Jesus, what an actor. I'd even go as far as to say he's one of the best actors in Hollywood today.He can be genuinely funny and touching. I can't say I've liked every movie he's been in, but I've definitely been impressed with his performance in every film he's been in.

~Matt
Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #40
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolpitz View Post
What was wrong with The Incredible Hulk? I picked it up on release date and had no problems with it.
I'm not sure what the problem is as I know some stores did release it. I saw it at HMV, but I didn't have any money. All I know is I went into two Future Shop's, as well as a movie store called Cinema One and they all said they had to send all their copies back, and that it would be delayed for a week or something. I think some stores just recently started getting them back again. So yeah, I don't know if only certain batches were affected or what!?

My Movie Collection

Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #41
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Yeah I have Road Warrior and it looks pretty amazing! I have The Shining and Full Metal jacket as well, haven't got around to watching them yet though. Just need to grab Clockwork orange and Eyes Wide Shot now to complete my Kubrick Blu collection, well until the rest get released. I have never seen Barry Lyndon, how is it compared to his other films?
its something of an aquired taste i think. a lot of people might find it boring, but i absolutely love it. its a great character peice with some really funny moments in it (there's a duel near the end that was hillarious in a dark kind of way). and the cinematography is astounding. kubrick found these cameras that had been developed for NASA. they had such a fast lens speed that they were able to register the smallest amount of light in a space. he lit whole scenes with candlelight, and so many of the compositions in the film look like paintings. i imagine that it could rival 2001 as his most visually impressive film when its put on HD.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #42
Matt89
HackMaster

Barry Lyndon's absolutely beautiful. He really put the zoom feature to good use on this one to the point where when the word "zoom" is mentioned, one tends to think, ".....Barry Lyndon".

~Matt
Old 11-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #43
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
its something of an aquired taste i think. a lot of people might find it boring, but i absolutely love it. its a great character peice with some really funny moments in it (there's a duel near the end that was hillarious in a dark kind of way). and the cinematography is astounding. kubrick found these cameras that had been developed for NASA. they had such a fast lens speed that they were able to register the smallest amount of light in a space. he lit whole scenes with candlelight, and so many of the compositions in the film look like paintings. i imagine that it could rival 2001 as his most visually impressive film when its put on HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Barry Lyndon's absolutely beautiful. He really put the zoom feature to good use on this one to the point where when the word "zoom" is mentioned, one tends to think, ".....Barry Lyndon".

~Matt
Cool thanks. guys, sounds like one I will have to check out

My Movie Collection

Old 11-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #44
Harry Warden
HackMaster

Quote:
i would love to see lionsgate release a remaster widescreen edition but that will more than likely never happen though i love when Rawhead baptizes Declan i heard there was a longer version of the scene out there somewhere
The baptizing scene is a riot. I remember reading this in the short story in Books of Blood 3. I never dreamed they would include that in the film. The scene is shot from a distance so I'm not sure everybody would catch it during a first viewing. I was lucky enough to find Rawhead Rex brand new, although it is a full-screen version.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 AM   #45
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Got Boggy Creek II, Final Exam and Death Smiles on a Murderer/Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism in the mail today.