Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #16
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I don't know about the new comics, but I've been scooping up Dark Horse's awesome hardcover archival collections. They include the letter columns and original ads. Very faithful and gorgeous on my bookshelves:

Dig those Frazetta covers. Love 'em!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
I don't know about the new comics, but I've been scooping up Dark Horse's awesome hardcover archival collections.
Same basic price point - $50 for 5 issues. In the unlikely chance they ever did slog through the entire runs as planned (139 for Eerie, 146 for Creepy), that would rack up to $2850. Even kicking in a typical mail order discount, frankly thats way too steep for my wallet. $50 HC for *10* issues, or $15 TPB for 5, that IMO would be something I'd snap up.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #18
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
Same basic price point - $50 for 5 issues. In the unlikely chance they ever did slog through the entire runs as planned (139 for Eerie, 146 for Creepy), that would rack up to $2850. Even kicking in a typical mail order discount, frankly thats way too steep for my wallet. $50 HC for *10* issues, or $15 TPB for 5, that IMO would be something I'd snap up.
Yeah, I'm not sure that's a fair way to look at it. Single issues would not come thread-bound into a hardcover with a dustjacket. Nor would they include an introduction or be printed on high-quality glossy print.

The price point is high, but these are gift editions--the best treatment these classic stories have ever received. I think Dark Horse will make it through the entire runs, as they are currently selling well enough.

Plus, these are 48 page, oversized, magazine-sized periodicals. Not your typical 22-page, smaller-sized comic. So a $15 TP of 5 issues is unlikely.

Amazon sells 'em for $33 a pop (no shipping fee, either).

Last edited by Workshed; 07-07-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #19
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure that's a fair way to look at it. Single issues would not come thread-bound into a hardcover with a dustjacket. Nor would they include an introduction or be printed on high-quality glossy print.

The price point is high, but these are gift editions--the best treatment these classic stories have ever received. I think Dark Horse will make it through the entire runs, as they are currently selling well enough.

Plus, these are 48 page, oversized, magazine-sized periodicals. Not your typical 22-page, smaller-sized comic. So a $15 TP of 5 issues is unlikely.

Amazon sells 'em for $33 a pop (no shipping fee, either).
The DC Absolute volumes (such as for Sandman) collect 20 standard comic issues in oversize slipcase hardcover, with new intros, recoloring, and a *lot* of extras. Price point $100 for 20 issues (just over 600 pages). In comparison the Eerie archives are $50 for 5 issues (240 pages), and even given the different original issue size the presentation size of both is roughly the same. But for half the cost the content is less than half, and production quality (although high in both) is notably better in the Absolute line. More importantly the Eerie comics are black and white, not color, and this *considerably* drops the production costs.

For me, the Absolute volumes hit about breaking point for what I was willing to pay, such that I only picked up a few sets (Watchmen, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). I just view the Eerie / Creepy / Vault / Crypt anthologies as being even costlier on the "what you get for the price" point, putting it over what I was willing to accept for the Absolute volumes.

As for TPB, the typical TPB prints 5-7 color issues, 120-150 pages of content, for about $12-15. Black and white reprint volumes, such as the Marvel Essentials series, print 20 issues and 500-600 pages of content for about $15-20. So its not out of line by any means that a TPB for Eerie / Creepy could present 5 issues (250 pages of black and white content) for around $15 - maybe scaled to smaller print size, *maybe* bumped to $20 to reflect the more niche market. But definitely far from an unreasonable expectation.

But right now I look at what is being produced for other "premiere" edition comic volumes, and as good as they are these just don't deliver the same quality for the price.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
Angelman
HackMaster

Used to have Creepy #1, sold it on eBay for $70 about 10 years ago.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
maybrick
HackMaster

I doubt they'll bother with archiving the entire run, mainly because the quality dropped in later years and they began reprinting older stories. I bought Issues #1 and #2 together for about $25 around 10 years back and was surprised with the number of stores in those mags I had already read.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #22
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
The DC Absolute volumes (such as for Sandman) collect 20 standard comic issues in oversize slipcase hardcover, with new intros, recoloring, and a *lot* of extras. Price point $100 for 20 issues (just over 600 pages). In comparison the Eerie archives are $50 for 5 issues (240 pages), and even given the different original issue size the presentation size of both is roughly the same. But for half the cost the content is less than half, and production quality (although high in both) is notably better in the Absolute line. More importantly the Eerie comics are black and white, not color, and this *considerably* drops the production costs.

For me, the Absolute volumes hit about breaking point for what I was willing to pay, such that I only picked up a few sets (Watchmen, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). I just view the Eerie / Creepy / Vault / Crypt anthologies as being even costlier on the "what you get for the price" point, putting it over what I was willing to accept for the Absolute volumes.

As for TPB, the typical TPB prints 5-7 color issues, 120-150 pages of content, for about $12-15. Black and white reprint volumes, such as the Marvel Essentials series, print 20 issues and 500-600 pages of content for about $15-20. So its not out of line by any means that a TPB for Eerie / Creepy could present 5 issues (250 pages of black and white content) for around $15 - maybe scaled to smaller print size, *maybe* bumped to $20 to reflect the more niche market. But definitely far from an unreasonable expectation.

But right now I look at what is being produced for other "premiere" edition comic volumes, and as good as they are these just don't deliver the same quality for the price.

Regarding the Absolutes (which I love), I think you are overestimating the Absolutes in terms of # of pages. They are usually 12 issues of 22-page comics (+ covers) + extras.

Recent & upcoming releases (in approx. the same time period as the Creepy Archives):

Absolute Promethea: $99, 328 pages; Absolute V for Vendetta: $99, 296 pages, Absolute Death: $99, 360 pages. Of the recent releases (or NYPs), the only ones I can find close to 500-600 pages are: Absolute Justice: $99, 496 pages, and the Sandman editions, which are $99, 600 pages (and, to be fair, I think the Sandmans are the exception to the format. They set an incredible standard, even for the Absolutes). Yes, you get color and a slipcase w/ the Absolutes, but they are double the price.

While I do love the Absolutes, take a look @ the Absolute Dark Knight--which had inferior paper to the Creepy archives--or Absolute LOEG: Black Dossier--which contained no extras at all and was of inferior printing. Absolute Superman: For Tomorrow also had thin pages.

TP collections are typically 5-7 issues, and I'm not seeing many for $12 that are not introductory editions. Again, these are not the same trim size or page count as the Creepy Archives.

Marvel Essentials are getting the price bump to $19.99, starting with Essential Uncanny X-Men Vol. 9, and are printed on newsprint. To compare the Essentials to the Creepy Archives.... Dark Horse is reprinting them according to their original magazine format but with heightened quality. Do I wish they were $15? Sure. Would I prefer an inferior treatment to achieve this price point? No way.

If they are out of your budget, I completely understand. But I don't understand the complaint about the quality for the price. To me, as a collector, it's worth it (especially at a discount) for the package.

Last edited by Workshed; 07-08-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 AM   #23
bigwes15
Maniac

Probably about 5-6 years ago I completed my runs of Creepy and Eerie and am glad to have all of the original issues..these are my favorite comic series of all time. As time goes by I will probably get rid of most all of my comics, but I will never part with these classic magazines. Not only do they bring back so many memories of my youth, but the stories still hold up today and stand head and shoulders above any other horror comics that have ever been done. I admit the EC comics are also incredible, but I know I will never be able to compile a complete collection of those. I do have about 10 or so between copies of Haunt, Tales, and Vault. They sure as hell don't make them like they used to in regards to horror comics! I will probably pick up the new Creepy at least for the first issue or two, but I'm not holding out hopes for much despite the presence of Torres and Wrightson. I'm pretty sure it's going to be in comic size format and not a magazine, which is a big strike against it right off the bat.
bigwes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I just finished reading Creepy Archives Volume 1. I was lucky in that my public library had it!! I hope they get in future volumes as I'd love to own them, but can't see paying that price for each volume!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
Slackjaw83
Lonely St. Tattooer

I have a couple TPB collections of Creepy (the best being Harris' "Creepy : The Classic Years") and 5 of the "EC Archives" HC coffee table books, and they were all well worth the price (I actually picked up my EC Archives from a local comic book shop a few years back for 35 bucks a piece).

That said, I also have Marvel's recent "Zombie" and both volumes of DC's "House of Mystery" "phone book" style TPBs, and, honestly, the cheap print quality is a big problem.

Sadly, they're probably the best we'll ever get because, seriously, the demand for them isn't there. EC comics are a part of history, and had a successful TV show and feature films, so they get the "full quality" treatment. 2nd gen books like Creepy, Eerie, House of Mystery, etc., are a bit more under the radar, and therefore only get budget releases.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #26
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw83 View Post
2nd gen books like Creepy, Eerie, House of Mystery, etc., are a bit more under the radar, and therefore only get budget releases.
you mean aside from the deluxe editions I posted above.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Picked up Issue #1 of the new Creepy series today. Looks great in B&W--nice paper stock. I'm saving it for my vacation later this month.

Only bummer: it's a regular-sized comic for $4.99, not a magazine.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #28
Slackjaw83
Lonely St. Tattooer

4 issues a piece is nice, but seriously hardly what I consider a "deluxe release", especially in the world of the HC Omnibus, the HC Absolute edition, The HC Archive edition, etc etc etc. An average of 240 pages is pretty nice, but, honestly, I'd personally prefer more story and less ads (even vintage ones). While those releases are nice, don't get me wrong, they could be MUCH better (and, obviously, much worse, a la "House of Mystery")

Are those editions magazine-sized? That would actually be a nice selling point if they are

Last edited by Slackjaw83; 07-15-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Slackjaw83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #29
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw83 View Post
4 issues a piece is nice, but seriously hardly what I consider a "deluxe release", especially in the world of the HC Omnibus, the HC Absolute edition, The HC Archive edition, etc etc etc. An average of 240 pages is pretty nice, but, honestly, I'd personally prefer more story and less ads (even vintage ones). While those releases are nice, don't get me wrong, they could be MUCH better (and, obviously, much worse, a la "House of Mystery")

Are those editions magazine-sized? That would actually be a nice selling point if they are
5 issues/240 pages/Magazine-sized/hardcover, including all original letter columns and ads.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #30
Slackjaw83
Lonely St. Tattooer

Like I said, I personally am less into the ad/letters pages, and would gladly trade those pages for more story. Still, Magazine size is a big selling point, as every TPB I have of them has been reduced to comic sized.