Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

What??! what!??!?! this is amazing!!!!!!! almost all of the horror movies we want on DVD are coming true!!!!!!!! this is fantastic news!!!!!!!!!

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
fceurich39
HackMaster

i hope it is remastered widescreen transfer because if mgm was releasing it it would be but since it is music video dist it may be a fullscreen vhs to dvd transfer i hope not though
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I tried asking them if they knew anything about the transfer but the apparently do not, they are just distributing the title - they didn't do any work on it and I cannot find any contact information for Televista so we'll just have to wait and see it seems.
chrismac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
captain_brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr789 View Post
What??! what!??!?! this is amazing!!!!!!! almost all of the horror movies we want on DVD are coming true!!!!!!!! this is fantastic news!!!!!!!!!
I was thinkin' the exact same thing about this year. I'm gonna go make an "to order within the next few weeks" page on my large notebooks of titles that I order off Amazon, cause I don't wanna be forgetful. In fact I'm gonna do it right now. This is awesome news about The Video Dead.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #20
CodeRedDVd

Jef films will most likely use a worn ex-rental vhs tape and will look no diffrent the ones you already have on dvd-r. Save your money. Release like this is spit on the face to company who work hard cleaning movies up like Blue Underground, Synapse, Dark Sky, ect.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #21
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

According to Televista, JEF Films and it are two different companies.

I have no doubts it's not an official release, but if it's an actual remastered widescreen copy, I'm not going to sit around and wait for MGM to release it when they claim they don't even own the rights to the title.

Last edited by chrismac87; 07-21-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #22
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRedDVd View Post
Jef films will most likely use a worn ex-rental vhs tape and will look no diffrent the ones you already have on dvd-r. Save your money. Release like this is spit on the face to company who work hard cleaning movies up like Blue Underground, Synapse, Dark Sky, ect.
my biggest fear but your probably right know if mgm was releasing it or code red it would be top quality
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #23
bloodthrill
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post

I have no doubts it's not an official release, but if it's an actual remastered widescreen copy, I'm not going to sit around and wait for MGM to release it when they claim they don't even own the rights to the title.
Well said,chrismac.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #24
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I don't know about this one, it just smells like a bootleg.

Isn't there a good HD2DVD version that exists from the Monsters HD transfer?

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #25
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

No, the only print floating around is one I requested off of a site and the person who recorded it recorded it in real time so at one point a DVR power down message pops up taking up almost half the screen, and there are several points where the picture freezes for a few seconds as well as some audio glitches.

No one else ever nabbed it while it was airing.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #26
Rockmjd

I'll pass on the bootleg. I could never support MVD, Jef, etc.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #27
captain_brandon

Quote:
Well said, once again.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #28
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I normally don't support bootlegs. In fact, even if something is of lesser quality or something's different about it with an official release, I still will buy the official release even if I own the bootleg.

Case and point, for the better part of about 7 years I had a boot of PHANTASM III from the UK and when the US version came out, I bought it. PHANTASM II, have a bootleg, with a ton of special features, when the US version comes out - I'll buy that.

If this does in fact turn out to be a full screen version cropped into widescreen or a direct copy of the Monsters HD print - I won't be purchasing this.

However, if it is, a fully remastered widescreen print that somehow, someway got into this company's hands - I'm not going to sit around and wait for a huge company like MGM who as I said claims they own no rights to this title.

I've searched, and searched, but other than the Monsters HD print there is NO registered copy right with them or proof that they even own the title. So if they do in fact own it, it does not seem like it will be out for quite some time if at all.

If however a legit release comes out through them after or before this one, I'll will be sure to buy it regardless.

I'm not buying films to support companies unfortunately, that's not a job or something I really owe to anyone nor does anyone else. If a company puts out a title I'm interested in or know of, I buy it.

I've never once based my decision on buying a film based on the company that puts it out because really I'm buying the product to get the film I want, not endorsing the company. Sure supporting these companies helps more films come out but really, does that mean I have to buy every release they ever put out for that reason and that reason only?

I mean is EVERY Anchor Bay catalogue title worth owning simply because Anchor Bay put it out? Okay yes, they have a ton of great films they've released but there's some crap too - not to mention their direct to DVD films that really aren't all that appetizing - so does that mean I have to spend the money I work for to support them or whoever else just so they can keep their jobs or keep putting films out?

It's as simple as this; I'm a consumer and horror fan. I see both sides of the story. I see the fan side and the business side of things in the genre but also as a consumer I want for things and when they are made available - I don't hesitate to buy them based on the company.

A prime example would be Lionsgate - they have done a shitastic job on putting their catalogue titles on DVD, most of the time they're not even film transfers but glorified laserdisc or video transfers which is really what has already been out there for years and years on the bootleg circuits so why should people spend their money on getting the same thing they've already had just with prettier, in some cases not, artwork and a professionally pressed disc? What makes that any different from this? What because they own the rights to the title?

The filmmakers behind these films don't make any money, the studio does most of the time. Very rarely do the actors or the people involved in these films ever see a red cent from the DVD or video sales, most of the time they got their paycheck and that was that. Half these films no one knew what they would become or even if they'd be around in 10 years let alone 20 so no one probably ever thought of it.

At the risk of sounding like the "bad guy" here, I simply don't care if it's a bootleg or not. As long as it's a widescreen print, that isn't taken from a VHS source or is sourced from the Monsters HD print, I'm satisfied until something better or more official comes along. I'm not going to cross my arms and wait for MGM to get off their ass and put this out if they even do.

I mean they owned THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD since it went out of print in the 90s and it took several online petitions and hundreds upon hundreds of emails before they released it and even then it wasn't what the fans really wanted. It wasn't until Fox joined up with them that they put out the special edition that it deserved in the first place but if it took that much effort to get it out to begin with, a film that has a huge fanbase and was financially successful, does anyone honestly think THE VIDEO DEAD has a chance?

And I'd just like to point out that at one point I asked the owner of Code Red to help me find out if MGM did in fact own the rights to the film and he replied back with this message:

"you want to track down who owns the rights to VIDEO DEAD. why? are you a dvd company? what would you do once you find the rights owner? ask him to release it or you'll release it? You shouldn't call Fox or MGM for they will just view you as a guy requesting the film, They have tons of other things to do since MGM is under staffed right now and Fox got bigger new films to worry about.

I had two video stores when VIDEO DEAD first came out, the video didn't rent, it also didn't sell for Embassy Video for I remember on willcall there was very little copies sitting for video stores to pick up. In fact, the sales was so bad they lower the price of the tape to $54.99 (wholesale) to $14.25 (wholesale) in 6 month. Lowering "B" movies 6 month was very uncommon for labels that quick back then. I don't think this is in any major studio's top 100 list of title to release. It was just a cheap filler on the vhs rental rack. It'll sell no diffrent than BOARDINGHOUSE which bomb badly and judging by another messageboard most fans netflixed.

Just buy the overseas bootleg like everyone else or tape it off cable. . These dvd do not sell enough for major studios to care. It's basically food for netflix (who only buys 60 copies for 50 states). I hate to say this, but little by little all of us are going to be gone as more and more horror fans stop collecting dvds. I noticed when netflix's mail system was down, one cult messageboard wents nuts. Very few buydvds anymore."

Now I find this the most amusing line of the whole email; "Just buy the overseas bootleg like everyone else or tape it off cable"

How exactly can someone say something like that then say it's a "spit in the face" to other companies who release films like this? It doesn't matter where it's bootlegged from, if it's a bootleg, it's still giving someone else money that isn't supposed to be getting it so what's the difference if I buy the German DVD - which is in German only - or this US release that is possibly going to be the only release we'll ever see?

Sorry, but I'm not sitting around waiting for someone at MGM to get off their ass and put this out. I'll be buying this on release day for sure.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #29
captain_brandon

Quote:
I normally don't support bootlegs. In fact, even if something is of lesser quality or something's different about it with an official release, I still will buy the official release even if I own the bootleg.

Case and point, for the better part of about 7 years I had a boot of PHANTASM III from the UK and when the US version came out, I bought it. PHANTASM II, have a bootleg, with a ton of special features, when the US version comes out - I'll buy that.

If this does in fact turn out to be a full screen version cropped into widescreen or a direct copy of the Monsters HD print - I won't be purchasing this.

However, if it is, a fully remastered widescreen print that somehow, someway got into this company's hands - I'm not going to sit around and wait for a huge company like MGM who as I said claims they own no rights to this title.

I've searched, and searched, but other than the Monsters HD print there is NO registered copy right with them or proof that they even own the title. So if they do in fact own it, it does not seem like it will be out for quite some time if at all.

If however a legit release comes out through them after or before this one, I'll will be sure to buy it regardless.

I'm not buying films to support companies unfortunately, that's not a job or something I really owe to anyone nor does anyone else. If a company puts out a title I'm interested in or know of, I buy it.

I've never once based my decision on buying a film based on the company that puts it out because really I'm buying the product to get the film I want, not endorsing the company. Sure supporting these companies helps more films come out but really, does that mean I have to buy every release they ever put out for that reason and that reason only?

I mean is EVERY Anchor Bay catalogue title worth owning simply because Anchor Bay put it out? Okay yes, they have a ton of great films they've released but there's some crap too - not to mention their direct to DVD films that really aren't all that appetizing - so does that mean I have to spend the money I work for to support them or whoever else just so they can keep their jobs or keep putting films out?

It's as simple as this; I'm a consumer and horror fan. I see both sides of the story. I see the fan side and the business side of things in the genre but also as a consumer I want for things and when they are made available - I don't hesitate to buy them based on the company.

A prime example would be Lionsgate - they have done a shitastic job on putting their catalogue titles on DVD, most of the time they're not even film transfers but glorified laserdisc or video transfers which is really what has already been out there for years and years on the bootleg circuits so why should people spend their money on getting the same thing they've already had just with prettier, in some cases not, artwork and a professionally pressed disc? What makes that any different from this? What because they own the rights to the title?

The filmmakers behind these films don't make any money, the studio does most of the time. Very rarely do the actors or the people involved in these films ever see a red cent from the DVD or video sales, most of the time they got their paycheck and that was that. Half these films no one knew what they would become or even if they'd be around in 10 years let alone 20 so no one probably ever thought of it.

At the risk of sounding like the "bad guy" here, I simply don't care if it's a bootleg or not. As long as it's a widescreen print, that isn't taken from a VHS source or is sourced from the Monsters HD print, I'm satisfied until something better or more official comes along. I'm not going to cross my arms and wait for MGM to get off their ass and put this out if they even do.

I mean they owned THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD since it went out of print in the 90s and it took several online petitions and hundreds upon hundreds of emails before they released it and even then it wasn't what the fans really wanted. It wasn't until Fox joined up with them that they put out the special edition that it deserved in the first place but if it took that much effort to get it out to begin with, a film that has a huge fanbase and was financially successful, does anyone honestly think THE VIDEO DEAD has a chance?

And I'd just like to point out that at one point I asked the owner of Code Red to help me find out if MGM did in fact own the rights to the film and he replied back with this message:

"you want to track down who owns the rights to VIDEO DEAD. why? are you a dvd company? what would you do once you find the rights owner? ask him to release it or you'll release it? You shouldn't call Fox or MGM for they will just view you as a guy requesting the film, They have tons of other things to do since MGM is under staffed right now and Fox got bigger new films to worry about.

I had two video stores when VIDEO DEAD first came out, the video didn't rent, it also didn't sell for Embassy Video for I remember on willcall there was very little copies sitting for video stores to pick up. In fact, the sales was so bad they lower the price of the tape to $54.99 (wholesale) to $14.25 (wholesale) in 6 month. Lowering "B" movies 6 month was very uncommon for labels that quick back then. I don't think this is in any major studio's top 100 list of title to release. It was just a cheap filler on the vhs rental rack. It'll sell no diffrent than BOARDINGHOUSE which bomb badly and judging by another messageboard most fans netflixed.

Just buy the overseas bootleg like everyone else or tape it off cable. . These dvd do not sell enough for major studios to care. It's basically food for netflix (who only buys 60 copies for 50 states). I hate to say this, but little by little all of us are going to be gone as more and more horror fans stop collecting dvds. I noticed when netflix's mail system was down, one cult messageboard wents nuts. Very few buydvds anymore."

Now I find this the most amusing line of the whole email; "Just buy the overseas bootleg like everyone else or tape it off cable"

How exactly can someone say something like that then say it's a "spit in the face" to other companies who release films like this? It doesn't matter where it's bootlegged from, if it's a bootleg, it's still giving someone else money that isn't supposed to be getting it so what's the difference if I buy the German DVD - which is in German only - or this US release that is possibly going to be the only release we'll ever see?

Sorry, but I'm not sitting around waiting for someone at MGM to get off their ass and put this out. I'll be buying this on release day for sure.
EXCELLANT post, chrismac!!! That's all I've got to say. I'm sorry to take sides a bit, but you TOTALLY owned the President of CodeRed.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #30
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Thank you but I wasn't trying to own him so to speak.

He just went on here, got on his soap box and it bothered me because I hate hypocrites and I'm sorry but telling someone to buy a bootleg privately the an publicly bashing them makes you a hypocrite in my book.

I respect the guy for starting his own business and making it work but that about covers it.