Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #61
fceurich39
HackMaster

even though i have it on vhs and 2 different monstershd dvd-rs i will still be tempted to buy this
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:17 AM   #62
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Unfortunately I am in the same boat.

I grew up with this film. My father and I used to watch it all the time with me, he hated it, but he watched it with me. It was always "our" movie so to speak.

He passed away in October of last year and well, I always associated this movie with the time he and I spent together because it was one of the only movies he would watch with me without me having to ask - he just would.

When I turned 16, he found a copy of it at a yard sale, still sealed, and bought it for me for my birthday gift. We watched it again and the entire time he just would say how much he didn't like it and how ridiculous it was, but he STILL watched it with me, he just enjoyed the time we spent together and the conversations we'd have.

So I guess this film has some sentimental value attached to it, as weird as that sounds.
chrismac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #63
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
Unfortunately I am in the same boat.

I grew up with this film. My father and I used to watch it all the time with me, he hated it, but he watched it with me. It was always "our" movie so to speak.

He passed away in October of last year and well, I always associated this movie with the time he and I spent together because it was one of the only movies he would watch with me without me having to ask - he just would.

When I turned 16, he found a copy of it at a yard sale, still sealed, and bought it for me for my birthday gift. We watched it again and the entire time he just would say how much he didn't like it and how ridiculous it was, but he STILL watched it with me, he just enjoyed the time we spent together and the conversations we'd have.

So I guess this film has some sentimental value attached to it, as weird as that sounds.
yep the first time i caught i believe it was on the USA network then i tracked down the embassy vhs it is one of my favorite cheesy horror films
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 AM   #64
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I never saw it on USA. I wish I had! I think it would've just been so cool to have seen it on TV!

Especially late at night!

I did have a copy for years and years before my dad found that one, but it was taped from the Embassy video we rented all the time. I never owned an official copy until I was 16.
chrismac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #65
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
This forum is filled with everything BUT threads about new DVDs, and this is a good example of why. We don't buy anymore, the discs don't sell, either...
What do you mean by this?

I see plenty of threads introducing me to new movies, and there are two--count 'em, two!--threads devoted to "What DVD Did You Just Buy?"

Plenty of posters on here are dropping cash on DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc. Have you seen spawningblue's 2009 To-Buy list? He's funding a small empire.

Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 07-23-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #66
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post

I see plenty of threads introducing me to new movies, and there are two--count 'em, two!--threads devoted to "What DVD Did You Just Buy?"

Plenty of posters on here are dropping cash on DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc. Have you seen spawningblue's 2009 To-Buy list? He's funding a small empire.

I said NEW DVDs, germane to the back-and-forth between Bill and ChrisMac87. This is a trend I've seen - we all have - over the last 5 years (maybe more). People ARE buying less - be it netflix or cable, or the fact that all of the hot older acquisitions (Zombie, Dawn, even obscure Fulci and Franco titles are all "out" at this point) are out in multiple formats. That leaves us with stuff like Boardinghouse (I netflixed) that is not great by any measure. Bill is fighting the good fight and I understand his frustration. I am the guy that should be buying that flick and I'm not.

There was a time when I could go to Best Buy or Amoeba in Hollywood and count on quality genre films being released (as opposed to re-released) for the first time on DVD every week. And these were all must-buy titles. It isn't that way anymore. Night of the Creeps, maybe the MBValentine uncut are the last few that are high profile. Synapse, Blue Underground, Anchor Bay (as we knew them) etc are ALL GONE. Lusting himself said it (don't quote me) - no money to be made there any more, not like in the salad days of DVD. The slow transition to Blu-ray is just that - SLOW.

So, despite spawningblue's hard-earned cash - the market is withered and dying. I just popped over to the main page and this was the only thread based on a film coming to DVD for the first time (yes there was a F13 7&8 re-release and a Suspiria Blu but that was it).

So I was talking about new releases that were first time on DVD. Most of those now buying lists are populated with a lot of older releases.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #67
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:

And how dare you question me.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #68
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Quote:
Synapse, Blue Underground, Anchor Bay (as we knew them) etc are ALL GONE.
Uh, last I checked Synapse is doing just fine. They might not be releasing what you'd consider "high profile" horror films, but they're certainly still putting out killer releases (the Wandering Ginza Butterfly films), and introducing people to films they wouldn't see otherwise (Violence & Flesh, Rosarigasinos, Animalada). Don also promises an announcement about a cult film that people have been salivating over for years very soon. The market may be down, by companies like Synapse and Severin are definitely still fighting the good fight.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #69
Workshed
October!

Quote:
I said NEW DVDs, germane to the back-and-forth between Bill and ChrisMac87. This is a trend I've seen - we all have - over the last 5 years (maybe more). People ARE buying less - be it netflix or cable, or the fact that all of the hot older acquisitions (Zombie, Dawn, even obscure Fulci and Franco titles are all "out" at this point) are out in multiple formats. That leaves us with stuff like Boardinghouse (I netflixed) that is not great by any measure. Bill is fighting the good fight and I understand his frustration. I am the guy that should be buying that flick and I'm not.

There was a time when I could go to Best Buy or Amoeba in Hollywood and count on quality genre films being released (as opposed to re-released) for the first time on DVD every week. And these were all must-buy titles. It isn't that way anymore. Night of the Creeps, maybe the MBValentine uncut are the last few that are high profile. Synapse, Blue Underground, Anchor Bay (as we knew them) etc are ALL GONE. Lusting himself said it (don't quote me) - no money to be made there any more, not like in the salad days of DVD. The slow transition to Blu-ray is just that - SLOW.

So, despite spawningblue's hard-earned cash - the market is withered and dying. I just popped over to the main page and this was the only thread based on a film coming to DVD for the first time (yes there was a F13 7&8 re-release and a Suspiria Blu but that was it).

So I was talking about new releases that were first time on DVD. Most of those now buying lists are populated with a lot of older releases.
But people are still buying DVDs, be they "new" or not. If someone doesn't buy the Video Dead but buys 5 different version of Army of Darkness on DVD or another version of Friday the 13th VII, I don't count that as a loss.

Netflix, while certainly a deterrent to consumer purchases, still has to stock DVDs and thus "buy" them as well. Now, I fully understand that 10 people renting the same DVD from Netflix is not the same as 10 DVDs sold, but no one ever accused the library of running the publishing business out of...well, business.

All that said, my DVD purchasing has lessened. I own most of the films I truly loved. Yet, I plan to blind buy Trick R Treat and finally get my hands on Night of the Creeps, as well as Watchmen and The State set. And the live Sleep DVD whenever that comes out. That's a lot to me, especially in a recession.

Hell, Ash28M told me about a "new" DVD today: Red. May be a few years old, but it's new-to-me. I don't see the discussion on here as stifled. I'm always introduced to new stuff.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #70
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamuiX View Post
Uh, last I checked Synapse is doing just fine. They might not be releasing what you'd consider "high profile" horror films, but they're certainly still putting out killer releases (the Wandering Ginza Butterfly films), and introducing people to films they wouldn't see otherwise (Violence & Flesh, Rosarigasinos, Animalada). Don also promises an announcement about a cult film that people have been salivating over for years very soon. The market may be down, by companies like Synapse and Severin are definitely still fighting the good fight.
I stand corrected on the matter of Synapse, I guess. I'm not so sure we can say that Synapse is doing fine and you are soley focusing on the fact that Synapse are still putting obscure Asian titles rather than the entirety of my point. If you want to prove me wrong, comment on all my other points. Blue Underground? Anchor Bay? Netflix? etc. Synapse and Severin may be fighting the good fight but they are losing and the output of companies now is way off what it used to be. I would bet Don would tell you titles they spent money licensing and slaving over in the past might not be financially feasable now. Synapse doing the Panik House/Asian films thing, diversifying etc., may just be a survival thing (a smart one, but still)...

Quote:
But people are still buying DVDs, be they "new" or not. If someone doesn't buy the Video Dead but buys 5 different version of Army of Darkness on DVD or another version of Friday the 13th VII, I don't count that as a loss.

Netflix, while certainly a deterrent to consumer purchases, still has to stock DVDs and thus "buy" them as well. Now, I fully understand that 10 people renting the same DVD from Netflix is not the same as 10 DVDs sold, but no one ever accused the library of running the publishing business out of...well, business.

All that said, my DVD purchasing has lessened. I own most of the films I truly loved. Yet, I plan to blind buy Trick R Treat and finally get my hands on Night of the Creeps, as well as Watchmen and The State set. And the live Sleep DVD whenever that comes out. That's a lot to me, especially in a recession.

Hell, Ash28M told me about a "new" DVD today: Red. May be a few years old, but it's new-to-me. I don't see the discussion on here as stifled. I'm always introduced to new stuff.
I think, respectfully, you are confusing your personal experience with the reality of DVD sales right now, specifically horror and the ability of boutique companies to generate income and thus, license and restore new material for us. The market is off. The major boutiques walked away or folded, netflix is taking business (and A LOT of it), general DVD sales (Watchmen, Dark Knight etc. aside) are down. Blu-ray has yet to be the answer. Bill said Netflix bought 60 copies of Boardinghouse. 60. That is not a business model I'd be keen to jump on. And you can't compare the book industry to the DVD industry. Books are not delieverd to your house and digestible in 2 hours.

It wasn't a sleight on the board, I'm just lamenting the state of the biz.

Nothing I said was incorrect (save my over-stating the dire state of Synapse). The market is off. Less for us to talk about than say 5 years ago where there was new Argento, Fulci etc title to pine for every week. It's a fact.

Damn, y'all are some argumentative sons of bitches.

Last edited by Angelman; 07-23-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #71
Zillamon51
Maniac

Why does anyone care about pap like The Video Dead? It's an early DTV movie that blows. Its only saving grace is the cool poster art. In fact, it's the first (of many) posters I requested and bought from my local mom-and-pop vid store back in the day. When I later saw the movie, I was sorely disappointed.

Twenty years from now, are people going to look back with fond nostalgia at Asylum mockbusters and SyFy "Original" Movies?
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #72
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Quote:
Synapse and Severin may be fighting the good fight but they are losing and the output of companies now is way off what it used to be.
Did you ever think the majority of the major titles are out now? The pickings are a lot less broad now, and to be honest I and a lot of other people are more than happy with what we're getting right now. In fact, I really enjoy the fact we're getting obscure films released now. I'm far more excited about discovering a new film than seeing another release of a film I've already seen a ton of times. Synapse and Severin are still delivering 1-2 releases a month, which is more than enough to be putting out on a regular basis. If the business is bad right now, it's a lot smarter to release only 1-2 titles a month, as the risk is less.

And this whole Netflix thing is so way overblown...just the way distributors were up in arms when rental chains first came in to fruition. If the distributors were THAT upset about their releases being available on Netflix, I'm sure they could take action to remove them. And most distributors factor in renting and bootlegging when trying to gauge potential sales numbers anyway, so it's a moot point.

Things will turn around just like they always do. Even if the current companies fold, there will always be more willing to step up and take their place. Home video is going nowhere.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #73
Workshed
October!

Quote:
And you can't compare the book industry to the DVD industry. Books are not delieverd to your house and digestible in 2 hours.
This is a good point.

Quote:
It wasn't a slight on the board, I'm just lamenting the state of the biz.

Nothing I said was incorrect
This is not a good point. You specifically stated that people on this board do not talk about "new" DVDs, and that people here weren't buying DVDs. Incorrect. First, define "new" (2009? First-time-on-DVD? New edition?). It's a very loose term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman
This forum is filled with everything BUT threads about new DVDs, and this is a good example of why. We don't buy anymore...
And I can find plenty of threads about newly released DVDs (Hellbilly himself keeps us up-to-date on the latest in cheese releases), and plenty of discussion in other threads about blind-buying DVDs, asking if anyone has seen these DVDs at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc., what people are buying as part of the DDD sale, what people are looking forward to buying in October 2009, how 2009 is already a better year for DVD releases than 2008, etc.

Although none of these threads seem to be started by you. How about lighting up some discussion about new DVDs with whatever new DVDs you want to talk about?

Last edited by Workshed; 07-23-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #74
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
This is not a good point. You specifically stated that people on this board do not talk about "new" DVDs, and that people here weren't buying DVDs. Incorrect. First, define "new" (2009? First-time-on-DVD? New edition?). It's a very loose term.
Good point - I meant "new" as in "new product for us" meaning the kind of releases that were being covered in this thread - boutique companies licensing and releasing older, fondly remembered titles. Or even, bigger companies with big back catalogs of older titles (a la MGM, Lionsgate). I should have been more specific.

Still, people (maybe not certain people here, but people in general) AREN'T buying DVDs, not the way they used to, and the numbers regarding sales back me up. And there was a thread on here where we all talked about how we have curbed our buying due to Netflix and I'd say most admitted they did too.

Quote:
And I can find plenty of threads about newly released DVDs (Hellbilly himself keeps us up-to-date on the latest in cheese releases), and plenty of discussion in other threads about blind-buying DVDs, asking if anyone has seen these DVDs at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc., what people are buying as part of the DDD sale, what people are looking forward to buying in October 2009, how 2009 is already a better year for DVD releases than 2008, etc.
I would disagree. I see a sharp fall off starting about the time I joined. Plenty is a relative term.

Quote:
Although none of these threads seem to be started by you. How about lighting up some discussion about "new" DVDs with whatever new DVDs you want to talk about?
Touche. I'm not really a "thread starter" though.

But again, I would ask if my core point/perception: boutiques folding, less releases, less genre DVDs sold, netflix negatively impacting sales (an thus the ability and inspiration to release old horror films)... is wrong?

Last edited by Angelman; 07-23-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #75
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Did you ever think the majority of the major titles are out now? The pickings are a lot less broad now, and to be honest I and a lot of other people are more than happy with what we're getting right now. In fact, I really enjoy the fact we're getting obscure films released now. I'm far more excited about discovering a new film than seeing another release of a film I've already seen a ton of times. Synapse and Severin are still delivering 1-2 releases a month, which is more than enough to be putting out on a regular basis. If the business is bad right now, it's a lot smarter to release only 1-2 titles a month, as the risk is less.
You are absolutely right. But this doesn't disprove my point. We are both right, here.

Quote:
And this whole Netflix thing is so way overblown...just the way distributors were up in arms when rental chains first came in to fruition. If the distributors were THAT upset about their releases being available on Netflix, I'm sure they could take action to remove them. And most distributors factor in renting and bootlegging when trying to gauge potential sales numbers anyway, so it's a moot point.

Things will turn around just like they always do. Even if the current companies fold, there will always be more willing to step up and take their place. Home video is going nowhere.
I'm not sure that the Netflix thing is "overblown" and there is a difference between the Blockbuster experience (the rental chains you mention) and having a movie show up at your house. Everyone hates blockbuster and they only stock new releases generally. Rental chains started suffering when VHS sales started going sell-through instead of charging a store $79. Different paradigm.

I don't think things will "turn around" and Home video (as we know it) is probably going bye-bye in the next ten years unless we get discs and TVs that deliver full resolution images. Already I can get streaming films and HD on demand. Wait until Netflix can deliver HD films from all genres. Watchmen in HD for example, is priced at $5 for onDemand right now. That is probably a better profit margin than the DVDs for WB. As the revenue in DVD declines, this will probably become the new and preferred way of delivering films. Look at the music industry as "example a" with newer generations forgoing physical media for digital versions.

Last edited by Angelman; 07-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.