Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Shocktillyoudrop has an exclusive story with Mark Burg!:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...s.php?id=12304

"Producer Mark Burg has added a new member to the Twisted Pictures family. Last week, it was announced the house of Saw had acquired the rights to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and a new film was underway. Nothing related to the remake and prequel Platinum Dunes had released in 2003 and 2006, respectively.

"Platinum Dunes had a one off deal, then I guess they got into a disagreement with the rights holders," Burg tells ShockTillYouDrop.com exclusively. " Carl Mazzacone, who works for us, set up a meeting for myself and [original Chainsaw co-writer] Kim Henkel, we flew down and closed the deal in the room."

Writing the latest entry in the Chainsaw saga, which has wildly steered all over the map in regards to characters, is Stephen Susco (The Grudge). "What we're going to do with it is bring it to 2010," says Burg. "Make it current day and come up with a new story that takes some of the basic plot points, if you will, and make it a current day movie. I don't want to make another Chainsaw in the '70s, that doesn't thrill me."

"I haven't seen first draft yet, but we're working on it," he adds. "Stephen's such a smart guy. We're coming up with the idea. It's a 'what if?' It's 35 years later, there's a relative going back. Why is he going back? I don't want to set it in a dusty town. How do we make it more urban but keep that feel. There will be some relatives, some new people. There's still the subtext of 'are they eating these people?' The whole idea of cannibalism, we're bringing it back."

Burg says they're still putting together all of the puzzle pieces, creatively-speaking, and a number of directors have come forward interested in ushering Leatherface into a new era. And in a new dimension, no less. The new Massacre will take place in 3-D."
Is it just me or does this sound a lot like Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation? Hopefully it turns out better.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Curious to see if they keep Leatherface with one arm, or act like the remake never happened. They could get creative and cool with that, hook him up with an Ash-like chainsaw arm or something.

I haven't been bothered by the family changing from film to film, although I loved the fam from the remake/prequel the most since Part 2. Of course the one I liked most (Hoyt) is apparently dead now, but Monty's still kickin', so to speak. Lose the fat women though, they offer nothing but a creepiness in their obesity, but am I supposed to be scared? I could crawl away with broken arms and legs and they'd never come close to catching me!

It almost makes sense for the supporting cast to change, as they tend to die in the films they're in. It fits to have Leather going from one fucked up family to another, just no more "this is his real family" bullshit. He's just settled in with another group of crazy cannibal fuck-ups, and isn't that what rural Texas is?

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Is it just me or does this sound a lot like Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation? Hopefully it turns out better.
Speaking of which, we should really get a SE DVD of that from Sony or Anchor Bay. It's kinda time now.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #19
snowbeast323
Maniac

I still dunno how I feel about this one, I bet I'll like it
I like the concept, but the 3-D gimmick annoys me......

La Toya Jackson fan and proud!
snowbeast323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #20
bloodthrill
Stalker

Dunes' prequel rocked the house with some of the sickest gore,the hottest babes (Diora-ooh,mama!) and the balls to cut down its Final Gal in the last reel..I'd be up for seeing Leather with a new surrogate family,('dug on TCM 3's messed up vibe with the sexually-confused Texas bumpkin,the little girl and the wheelchair-bound matron maniac)...while 3-D doesn't necessarily translate excellently to home video,imagine the in-your-face shots of the whirring,blood-spewing saw on the big screen......
Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #21
Nailwraps
HackMaster

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...s.php?id=12428

"Within the last year, original Texas Chainsaw Massacre director Tobe Hooper switched representation and found a home at Evolution Management, a robust firm that reps many folks working in the genre today. Great news, I thought, for Hooper who hasn't done a feature since Mortuary and, since then, directed two episodes of Masters of Horror. He's still attached to From a Buick 8, the Stephen King adaptation, but that seems to be running low on gas.

Being housed at Evolution is the best thing for him right now. He'll have some guidance. And maybe the fellas there will set him on the right track. Distance himself from the stigma of his '90s output and make "A Tobe Hooper film" mean something.

Now, it's no secret Evolution shares the same offices as Twisted Pictures, the place where the Saw franchise began. And recently, the company ruffled some feathers in the genre when it announced it had acquired the rights to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Evolution-repped Stephen Susco - known for The Grudge, The Grudge 2 and the quiet thriller Red - was going to get his hands greasy and rev up a new Chainsaw by penning a contemporary tale, ignoring the previous two films produced by Platinum Dunes. (I spoke with Twisted Pictures' Mark Burg a bit more about this approach here.) Since the company made its move on the property, I've been told there are a number of recognizable directors courting a chance to dance with Leatherface. I say now's the time, more than ever, to keep it in the family.

Put Tobe Hooper on the film.

When Platinum Dunes let the rights slip from its grasp, I'm told Hooper perked up to the idea of doing another Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But is there interest from the Twisted Pictures camp?

My ramblings stem from something I spied last night while at the after party for the Saw VI premiere. There was Tobe, sitting in a leather chair holding court with Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2's Bill Moseley and the Twisted Pictures crew, notably Carl Mazzacone, a key player in bringing the TCM rights to the company. And, instantly, my head began to swirl with the possibilities of a new Chainsaw under the direction of Hooper, regardless of the take Twisted has in mind.

Bring Hooper in to tackle a franchise he knows so well; a return equivalent to Romero reuniting with his walking corpses in Land of the Dead in 2005. Market the shit out of his big return and let people know Leatherface is in the right hands again.

What do you think? Should a contemporary Chainsaw pull in the man who started it all, or should Twisted be seeking a fresh director?"
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #22
Nailwraps
HackMaster

And update!:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...s.php?id=17035

"On the Texas Chainsaw Massacre front, things have changed slightly when we last spoke with Twisted Pictures Mark Burg a year ago.

A pair of writers have boarded the reboot: Adam Marcus and Debra Sullivan. It's unknown if Twisted scrapped previously hired writer Stephen Susco's script and Marcus and Sullivan are starting from scratch or just re-writing what Susco has done. But, based on B-D's report, they're still going with the "35 years later" approach and a cult might be involved.

Marcus directed Jason Goes to Hell for New Line in '93. He's also working with Sullivan on I Walked With a Zombie for RKO Pictures.

Twisted is said to be going out to directors soon for the latest Texas Chainsaw Massacre incarnation.

When we spoke to Burg last October, he gave us a tease of the story: "It's 35 years later, there's a relative going back. Why is he going back? I don't want to set it in a dusty town. How do we make it more urban but keep that feel. There will be some relatives, some new people. There's still the subtext of 'are they eating these people?' The whole idea of cannibalism, we're bringing it back.""

On the topic, who wants to bet a SE DVD and Blu of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation to commemorate the release?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #23
Nailwraps
HackMaster

http://www.moviehole.net/201139936-l...assacre-sequel

"“Takers” helmer John Luessenhop will direct “Leatherface”, the latest in the “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” series.

Bloody Disgusting says the film will be set after the events of the Michael Bay produced “Chainsaw” remake but will be bankrolled and sent out by Lionsgate rather than New Line/Warner Bros. The script is reportedly set 35 years after the events of the first film. Debra Sullivan, Adam Marcus and Stephen Susco have all worked on the screenplay.

Leatherface last reared his head in “Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning”, also produced by Bay’s Platinum Dunes shingle, which was set before the events of the original."
Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
http://www.moviehole.net/201139936-l...assacre-sequel

"“Takers” helmer John Luessenhop will direct “Leatherface”, the latest in the “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” series.

Bloody Disgusting says the film will be set after the events of the Michael Bay produced “Chainsaw” remake but will be bankrolled and sent out by Lionsgate rather than New Line/Warner Bros. The script is reportedly set 35 years after the events of the first film. Debra Sullivan, Adam Marcus and Stephen Susco have all worked on the screenplay.

Leatherface last reared his head in “Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning”, also produced by Bay’s Platinum Dunes shingle, which was set before the events of the original."
So is Leatherface going to be an old man then!?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #25
fceurich39
HackMaster

cool news i cant wait
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #26
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Let me get this straight. This new movie is called "Leatherface"? So the third movie in the new series is called "Leatherface" and the third movie from the original series is called "Leatherface" too? WTF?!? lol Really? They can't think of a better name?
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #27
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
So the next (or current) Hollywood trend is putting movies in 3D. Between remakes and 3D movies, they've really run out of creativity.

Apparently what's old is new again.
So 3D movies are less creative than 2D movies?

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
Zillamon51
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
So 3D movies are less creative than 2D movies?
I think his point is that the only reason some movies are (re)made nowadays is to use the 3-D gimmick.

TCM has pretty much run its course, and if they can't continue the Platinum Dunes reboot, they should let it rest. But someone said "Hey, we can stick a running chainsaw blade in the audience's face in 3-D!," and presto: Green light.

Having said that, I'll certainly buy a ticket to see TCM in 3-D!. (That's the response they're counting on, 'cuz it's in 3-D! you know.) I just hope Twisted Pics makes better use of the gimmick than they did w/ Saw: The Final Chapter in 3-D!.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #29
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Now that John Luessenhop is nearly attached to direct Leatherface 3D, casting is currently underway for a June shoot in Shreveport, Louisiana.

Casting under Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3-D, I'm pretty sure that Lionsgate does NOT own the rights to use that name, therefore we'll be sticking with the Leatherface 3D moniker, as it was announced.

Penned by Debra Sullivan, Adam Marcus and Stephen Susco, with the most recent drafts by Kirsten Elms and Luessenhop, the seventh incarnation is a direct sequel to Tobe Hooper's classic 1974 film that follows the lead character, Heather, who along with her friends, travel to Texas in order to collect an inheritance. The spin? What would you do if you found out your cousin was Leatherface, and he was now YOURS? -As explained to me by an insider.

It should also be noted that whomever lands the lead role of "Heather" will be locked in for multiple sequels, along with the town's "Sheriff Hooper," and his trusty sidekicks "Fransworth" and "Deputy Carl Hartman."

It sounds like they're going with the same old song and dance instead of truly attempting something original. But I am intrigued by the concept of Heather "owning" Leatherface. Hopefully they don't drop that angle and turn it into a horror chase film...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/24498
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #30
fceurich39
HackMaster

i heard it was a direct sequel to the 2003 remake? either way i am happy it's starts shooting this summer
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote