Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #46
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

So here's my one gripe: From the quick glimpse we got of the initial group of survivors, it looks as if they've either made a couple of the insignificant characters black or added a couple in. This pisses me off, because this is obviously a response to all the shit AMC gets about the lack of blacks on Mad Men. It annoys me that AMC would pander to this incredibly small group of insecure, always looking for invisible racism retards because if the series lasts past the first season, it's going to get a couple of the strongest black characters on TV. And the fact that it's obvious these changes or additions are meaningless since there's been no change to major characters like Dale, Lori, Glenn or Shane, it's so apparent what the motivations are here.

Otherwise, it was quite great.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #47
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I was quite surprised that the show only secured a TV-14 rating with the graphic violence. I would have thought that gunshots that blew off the back of skulls and half eaten and decayed bodies would warrant a TV-MA.

I thought the show was off to a good start. I'm assuming since this first season is only 6 episodes long that they are testing the waters to see if a subject matter like this will draw a consistent audience. I was only slightly put off by the commercial breaks as I'm usually not one to watch televisions shows outside of a couple of HBO series. It kind of takes you out of the story.

Here's to hoping for a good and successful season so we can see many more.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #48
mclay18
Maniac

Loved the pilot. Will be watching the next episodes.

And I was surprised at the amount of gore AMC showed, and still got a TV-14 rating. I guess since they're a cable & satellite-exclusive channel they can push the envelope further without veering into TV-MA territory (which this should've been).
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #49
pwrslave
Stalker

I was very happy with the episode and will be tuning in every Sunday night with a group of friends. Good stuff!
pwrslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #50
Criswell
HackMaster

I was watching a the New BBC version of The Survivors based on the Terry Nation book, and it very quickly became an episodic piece very much like the 70's Hulk series where each week the main characters met with random characters (troubled teen, crazy father with kids in tow), learning about themselves - "the true meanng of Christmas" - that kind of thing. To me - it really became a little formularic and cliched. I hope this show avoids that trap. But as its "Hollywood" i dont hold my breath.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #51
Mitbox
Stalker

Seen good comments about this from you, I'll be watching tonight (premieres one day after the US here). I wasn't so sure about seeing more zombies, I'm kind of getting bored with 'em.
Mitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #52
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

So this scored 5.3 million viewers last night, the highest rating for an AMC original series and the highest rating for ANY cable series premiere this year. Looks like we'll be getting at least a second season

Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #53
Darkside
Victim

Enjoyed every single second of it. Was hoping that AMC would pull no punches and was very happy to see that they did not. Even my "I hate horror" wife watched it twice!

-EAP Masque of the Red Death
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #54
mclay18
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
I was watching a the New BBC version of The Survivors based on the Terry Nation book, and it very quickly became an episodic piece very much like the 70's Hulk series where each week the main characters met with random characters (troubled teen, crazy father with kids in tow), learning about themselves - "the true meanng of Christmas" - that kind of thing. To me - it really became a little formularic and cliched. I hope this show avoids that trap. But as its "Hollywood" i dont hold my breath.
Frank Darabont said there were around 80 issues of the comic The Walking Dead was based on. Hopefully they'll stick to that and avoid a lot of episodic plots.

And I'm happy about the ratings AMC got for the pilot. If they get similar numbers for the next 5 episodes, I wouldn't be surprised if AMC greenlights both a second and third season.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #55
soxfan666
Maniac

I thought it was great and after talking with my brother he agrees. I will be there each week and if it stays this good I will likely purchase the series.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #56
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Frank Darabont said there were around 80 issues of the comic The Walking Dead was based on. Hopefully they'll stick to that and avoid a lot of episodic plots.
I'd welcome a change or two to the source material. I read the Walking Dead 'phone book', and while it was an interesting read I can't say it particularly broke new ground for me. While taking the zombie apocalypse story past the initial outbreak focus and into the day to day living focus (and the personal drama angle) is an area that hasn't been grave-trodden to death, the story execution in the Walking Dead comics just seemed to lack focus or direction. It really felt more like I was reading someone's "what would I do in a world of zombies" imagination meanderings than a well planned storyline. As a result, the story was for me interesting but not gripping.

And the accepted strong point of the Walking Dead series - the focus on personal drama over action or shock horror - is the primary area where I felt a lack of coherence and consistency showed the strongest. Often I found the personality conflicts drama trite and sometimes even unbelievable - characters getting into conflicts (or into the sack) or taking actions that came off as story driving plot devices rather than believable character behavior. As if the author had no roadmap for the character's behavior and personality, or was too willing to disregard it in favor of spinning the plot in a new direction (with the plot itself having the same directionless feeling).

Now maybe it's just the standard serialization issue most comics suffer from - issues are written to stand together in a small sequence to tell a short story, but less focus (if any) is given (or, with issues like publisher schedules and author changes and audience expectations, can be given) to how they fit together or evolve in a longer run. A big reason why so many comics are incredible reads within a particular story arc, but if you sit down and read the series as a whole it ends up feeling static and directionless.

So I'd welcome a few changes to the source material in the TV series - a more concrete sense of plot direction and eventual destination, and a willingness to stick to the establishing boundaries of a character's personality (or take the time to believably alter them to allow a behavior change) rather than willingly disregard them as interchangeable wheels in the plot machine. This series will do well if it *doesn't* do what the comic series did - keep going for 7+ years with no end in sight and no apparent plan to reach one.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #57
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Very odd impression of the series. While I'll wholeheartedly agree that when
Spoiler:
The Governer
comes in, it falters somewhat, I think the first five story arcs (the first 30 issues, and more than half of the compendium) are virtually flawless. I wouldn't mind a few changes once this occurs, but I don't see it happening until the 4th season at the earliest (unless they start doing more than 6 episode seasons, in that case it could begin late in the 3rd). I'd love them to adapt these first story arcs as closely as possible (with little cool additions like the tank scene from last nights episode), as I genuinely cared for all of the characters and the human drama is excellent.

And while I do think the series has tapered off just a bit, I think it's among the more cohesive stories being told in current comics. I actually just read through the whole compendium in preparation for this, and I don't see your points whatsoever. In fact, I probably appreciated it more reading it in one fell-swoop over a matter of a few days than I did reading it my first go around as the individual trades were released.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #58
MacReady
Stalker

I thought it was very good. I will definitely be watching future episodes. I cant wait for next Sunday!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #59
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criswell View Post

I watched both series of Survivors and couldn't stand it! It was so touchy feely and not realistic for a post-apocalyptic series!

As for Walking Dead, I loved it! Been a loyal reader of the comics and thought they are off to a good start with the series!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #60
mclay18
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamuiX View Post
So this scored 5.3 million viewers last night, the highest rating for an AMC original series and the highest rating for ANY cable series premiere this year. Looks like we'll be getting at least a second season
It's actually 8.1 million, if you count people who caught the two encore re-runs too. Very promising, if you ask me.