Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #46
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Marvel Essentials are getting the price bump to $19.99, starting with Essential Uncanny X-Men Vol. 9, and are printed on newsprint. To compare the Essentials to the Creepy Archives.... Dark Horse is reprinting them according to their original magazine format but with heightened quality. Do I wish they were $15? Sure. Would I prefer an inferior treatment to achieve this price point? No way.
Quoting an older post here, but what the hell... I agree. You can't compare the Marvel Essentials to the Creepy Archives. There are a lot of Marvel Essentials that I'd love to own, and often I've found myself in stores with the intention of buying Tomb of Dracula or Werewolf By Night, but when I open it up and see all of the unattractive B&W newsprint I always put it right back on the shelf and walk out. The volumes are affordable, but I just know that if I bought it I would probably never get through the entire thing. Same as my DVD collection, I expect the best possible treatment of the source material when I purchase trade paperbacks and hardcover volumes of vintage reissued comics, and the Essentials just don't cut it. And having the stories in B&W when they should be in color is akin to having your favorite film presented in the wrong aspect ratio. Also, which would you rather pay for and have on your shelf: a cheap budget bin copy of Night of the Living Dead, or the higher priced official Romero approved transfer that has been lovingly restored? No contest!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #47
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
In the past month as a Christmas Gift I got Eerie Volume 5 and I used some X-mas money to buy Volume 2. So so far that means I own Creepy 1-2 and Eerie 1-2, 5. As suspected I've fallen pretty far behind as Creepy has 8 archives already out but at the moment I'm more addicted than ever! The later issues are better so I'm looking forward to picking up the latest editions and working my way backwards. How are you doing at keeping up so far, Workshed?
Really glad to hear you are still reading these, Maybrick. I agree that Goodwin's stories can be a slog after multiple volumes, but I kept up through Creepy Vol. 6 and Eerie Vol. 3 (where the intro by Gail Simone admits this is the series' low point). Your note about it getting better from here is encouraging, and the intro by Don Glut in Eerie Vol. 5 suggests the same. It's a great intro, too. I want more from former contributors talking about how they got into the mags.

I received Eerie Vol. 5 and Creepy Vol. 8 this season. They've always been fun to open and get lost in. The artwork is top-notch, crazy stuff. I'm only missing Creepy Vol. 1. I borrowed it from a friend and read, but I never purchased it--it's fantastic, though. I'm going to start Creepy Vol. 8 tonight.

Creepy Vol. 9 looks to be coming out in March 2011. Any thoughts on what appears to be similarly-styled Vampirella Archives coming out from Dynamite?

Quote:
Product Description

In September 1969, Vampirella #1 debuted with a stunning cover by the legendary Frank Frazetta - and quickly made publishing history! The writers and artists that contributed during the magazine's original run included Jose Gonzalez, Archie Goodwin, Doug Moench, Bernie Wrightson, Barry Windsor Smith, Esteban Maroto, Frank Brunner, Mike Ploog, Rudy Nebres, Richard Corben, Pablo Marcos,Wally Wood, and many more! Dynamite now collects this legendary magazine in a hardcover archive collection! Volume 2 collects seven more terrifying issues of the magazine's original run, issues #8-14, reprinted in its original magazine-sized format.
It also releases in March 2011. I'm unfamiliar with the character--aside from her costume--and wonder if these classic stories are any good.

I really hope they drop the DYNAMITE eyesore on the title dress. Why would you ever cover up that artwork?

Edit: and good thread bump!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 01-02-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #48
Erick H.
HackMaster

I once found a small stack of original CREEPY and EERIE magazines on a job site,a house that was about to be demolished.I still have them in storage somewhere.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #49
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Really glad to hear you are still reading these, Maybrick. I agree that Goodwin's stories can be a slog after multiple volumes, but I kept up through Creepy Vol. 6 and Eerie Vol. 3 (where the intro by Gail Simone admits this is the series' low point). Your note about it getting better from here is encouraging, and the intro by Don Glut in Eerie Vol. 5 suggests the same. It's a great intro, too. I want more from former contributors talking about how they got into the mags.

I received Eerie Vol. 5 and Creepy Vol. 8 this season. They've always been fun to open and get lost in. The artwork is top-notch, crazy stuff. I'm only missing Creepy Vol. 1. I borrowed it from a friend and read, but I never purchased it--it's fantastic, though. I'm going to start Creepy Vol. 8 tonight.

Creepy Vol. 9 looks to be coming out in March 2011. Any thoughts on what appears to be similarly-styled Vampirella Archives coming out from Dynamite?

It also releases in March 2011. I'm unfamiliar with the character--aside from her costume--and wonder if these classic stories are any good.

I really hope they drop the DYNAMITE eyesore on the title dress. Why would you ever cover up that artwork?

Edit: and good thread bump!
I'm intentionally skipping Eerie's 3-4 and Creepy 4-5 because of the number of reprints they hold (Eerie stories began appearing in Creepy and Creepy Stories began appearing in Eerie). I'll probably go back and buy them once I'm caught up on the others for completist's sake, but they're not a priority to me. Once the 70s came, all sorts of hell broke loose and the magazines finally began showing the kinds of gore EC Comics was once known for. Like, check out this cover:

Regarding Vampirella, I was never really a fan mainly because almost all of the stories revolved around her. It was basically a straight forward superhero comic with supernatural elements rather than an anthology series like Creepy or Eerie. Or at least that's what I recall. I'd read them if I found them at the local library, but they weren't the kind of thing I'd be willing to pay in excess of 30 bucks for. From what I hear, Dynamite won't be including letter's pages or ads like Dark Horse has been doing.

Last edited by maybrick; 01-02-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #50
Paff

I do want to see some of those so-called "Golden Age" Creepy and Eeries. The volume I have is pretty innocuous. I remember it being a bit darker and gorier, but of course, that could be me building it up in my mind over the years. I was reading it in the 80s, these are 60s stories I'm reading.

Now if only there were some place, some kind of convention or something devoted to old comics in my town....

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #51
maybrick
HackMaster

My birthday is today so I got exactly what I asked for: Creepy Archives 7 and 8. (well not exactly. also asked for Messiah of Evil and Vampire Circus, but the Archives were more expensive.) Just skimming through these issues are far closer to the Creepy I remember from my youth. I especially love the artwork by Richard Corben.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #52
maybrick
HackMaster

About 3 weeks ago I preordered Creepy Archive #9 to get a decent price on it, but also because it wasn't scheduled to be released until early April and I knew that I would have the money for it by then. I figured if anything the release date would be postponed, but to my annoyance within a few days it was pushed up by a month instead. To make my money matters a little worse, last week I got another email from amazon that said the release was pushed ahead even further. It's now in the mail to my house even as I type! Admittedly this is a minor complaint and if it was at any other time of the year I'd be more than thrilled about it, but I just got finished paying out more than 2 grand on my car. I didn't really want another credit card bill for a few months, even one as low as $27. Which I guess brings up the one bright side to all of this: at least the purchase price had dropped by $3 since I made the preorder.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #53
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
About 3 weeks ago I preordered Creepy Archive #9 to get a decent price on it, but also because it wasn't scheduled to be released until early April and I knew that I would have the money for it by then. I figured if anything the release date would be postponed, but to my annoyance within a few days it was pushed up by a month instead. To make my money matters a little worse, last week I got another email from amazon that said the release was pushed ahead even further. It's now in the mail to my house even as I type! Admittedly this is a minor complaint and if it was at any other time of the year I'd be more than thrilled about it, but I just got finished paying out more than 2 grand on my car. I didn't really want another credit card bill for a few months, even one as low as $27. Which I guess brings up the one bright side to all of this: at least the purchase price had dropped by $3 since I made the preorder.

Ha! A nice silver lining. It surprised me too. Eerie Vol. 6 looks on track for a March release, but we may see it early, too. I haven't cracked Creepy Vol. 9 yet.

Check out this badass cover for Eerie Vol. 7:

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #54
maybrick
HackMaster

Yeah, I had preordered Eerie Archives 6 as well and got the notice on it's premature release, too. The strange thing is that I thought Dark Horse was notorious for continually missing street dates. What the hell is this new work ethic of theirs all about, lately?

So wait a minute: are you saying that you already have Creepy Archive 9 in your possession, workshed?

Last edited by maybrick; 02-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #55
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Yep, got it in the mail.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #56
maybrick
HackMaster

Damn, that's fast. Even though my shipping estimate says Friday I think it'll be here tomorrow on account that it's only a state away at the moment.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #57
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Damn, that's fast. Even though my shipping estimate says Friday I think it'll be here tomorrow on account that it's only a state away at the moment.
Mine shipped on the 8th of Feb, I think? 2-Day Shipping. Zipped right to my work address, and those guys deliver it quickly once it arrives.

But really, that Eerie cover. Awesome.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #58
maybrick
HackMaster

Yours got shipped a full week before mine even though I pre-ordered it, too? If I wasn't already complaining about the release date being bumped up I think I'd be kind of pissed.

But yeah, that cover is cool.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #59
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

I think Prime members get shipped early in order to hit day-of release dates. but then, since the release date was later, why did mine go early? These aren't the droids you are looking for.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 AM   #60
maybrick
HackMaster

I've been looking forward to this particular archive for a while because back in kindergarten I had a Famous Monsters shirt that had a picture that was actually from the cover of Creepy #44. I loved that shirt. As a matter of fact, I think I'll make it my new avatar.