Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #16
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Wait, so it this a legit release? The "fan edition" is confusing me.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #17
Nailwraps
HackMaster

It's kinda like that Blu-Ray release of Cannibal Girls from Filmswelike, let's put it like that. You really think Anchor Bay would've re-released Popcorn in a new edition like this you just think.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
Zillamon51
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
It's kinda like that Blu-Ray release of Cannibal Girls from Filmswelike, let's put it like that.
I'm not familiar w/ that disc, so that doesn't really answer the question. Is this version of Popcorn licensed or not? I certainly would be interested in a legit BD SE, since I used to rent the film on VHS back in the day. I don't think a glorified bootleg on BD is something I'd invest in just yet, though.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
I'm not familiar w/ that disc, so that doesn't really answer the question. Is this version of Popcorn licensed or not? I certainly would be interested in a legit BD SE, since I used to rent the film on VHS back in the day. I don't think a glorified bootleg on BD is something I'd invest in just yet, though.
Yea, I'm still confused about this also. If it was a bootleg it would to depend on the price as to whether or not I purchased it.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #20
Nightbreed
Stalker

i'll shoot Kristy an email and ask her about it
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbreed View Post
i'll shoot Kristy an email and ask her about it
Sweet. Much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #22
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
It's kinda like that Blu-Ray release of Cannibal Girls from Filmswelike, let's put it like that. You really think Anchor Bay would've re-released Popcorn in a new edition like this you just think.
The Blu-ray of Cannibal Girls was a legit release, Filmswelike obtained the rights to distribute it only in Canada, hence why it's not the Shout Factory release, which owns the American distribution rights.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
SickNick89
Stalker

I took my first girlfriend when i was 13 to see Popcorn in the theater. It was our 2nd date, we went and saw Edward Scissorhands on our first.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #24
Nightbreed
Stalker

Update** Kristy got back to me with a very informative reply

Quote:

wow, thank you so so so much!

Here is the deal. It is going to be a legit release, but we've been having trouble tracking down the copyright holder (this is a 2 year struggle mind you). I have mike felsher helping me and it is still hard as hell to track down the holder! I am hoping that by giving this a bigger and bigger profile i will be contacted soon about it. No matter what we have money set aside to purchase the rights, it's just become hell finding them! Elite entertainment went under, i talked to don may (pres. Of synapse) and he said he doesn't even know if they released it legitimately back then haha. With all of the fan support we have, we truly hope that the copyright holder will understand how lucrative this could be for them. I have to admit, no matter how cheesy it sounds, i have no designs on making any money on this. The money we're raising is completely to finish this project and get it created. I plan on doing it independently, but when it's finished if another company is interested (and a couple are already) i would consider letting someone else distribute it. It's all about making the best release for the fans, that is honestly the number one priority.

The interesting thing is i tracked down the rights holder in the uk and they're practically giving away the rights because it's on the level of a public domain film over there which is sad. It's a matter of finding the us rights holder that is an insurmountable task.

As far as the transfer, i am working with a couple of different folks to track down an original print, so our hope is to have a completely re-mastered version.

The reason i am calling it the fan edition is because when someone asked me "is it the anniversary edition, is it the special edition?" i realized that it is the fan edition because this is completely for the fans of the film who feel jipped by the elite entertainment release. It's a re-release made by the fans for the fans, and the money being raised to release it is from the fans. We're about to launch a kickstarter campaign to raise the money to finish funding the retrospective documentary and production of the dvd itself (authoring, artwork, special features).

At this point we have participation from almost the entire principle cast; kelly jo minter, malcolm danare, dee wallace, jill schoelen, elliott hurst, mat falls, derek rydall and even bruce glover- the amazing electrified man! They're all so happy to be participating in the doc and some of them will be getting together to record a commentary!

It's been a long process, but it's coming together amazingly, especially because of the fan support, and that's who this is for.

If anyone else has any questions they can absolutely feel free to email me (popcornthedoc@gmail.com), and spread the word, this release wants to be made, is begging to be made, but of course we won't do it unless we have proper rights. We're trying to find the rights holder and we'll really do anything to make it happen, so if anyone has any leads please email me! We've been through mgm, universal, warner brothers and a lot of little offshoot companies and it's nowhere to be found. There are no royalties still going to these actors so we can't track it that way either! You have my permission to post this long reply in it's entirety because we need all the support we can get
Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Now, THAT'S dedication. I'll purchase for sure.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #26
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

EeshÖthis is great and all, but they havenít even found the copyright holder yet? Plus they plan on tacking down an original print and doing an all new transfer?...as well as interviews and other bonus material?

Seeing as they are looking to release this independently, Iíd say March 2012 is a pipe dreamÖI think March 2014 would be a more accurate time table.

Iíll certainly keep track of the progress though. Iíve tried tracking down the OOP to no avail. So this will definitely be on my radar and day one purchase.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
JGrendel
HackMaster

This is one of my favorite movies, so I wishing them the best of luck. Cause I for one will pick this up when it sees the light of day especially in BD.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #28
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbreed View Post
Update** Kristy got back to me with a very informative reply
That sounds great. Good to know it's legit and that so much dedication is going into it. Well I hope everything goes well for them. I'll definitely buy this release when it eventually happens.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 AM   #29
chancetx
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Iíll certainly keep track of the progress though. Iíve tried tracking down the OOP to no avail. So this will definitely be on my radar and day one purchase.
If you can play region 2 DVDs you can find copies at amazon.co.uk (and even amazon.com) for pretty cheap - at least a lot cheaper than the OOP Elite disc. As Kristy said in that e-mail, the UK release was pretty much public domain. I read at imdb that the DVD was even given away free with some film magazine at one point. I haven't seen the UK version but I doubt the image is any better than the Elite disc, which wasn't great.

I bought a used Elite disc about 6 or 7 years ago for a much more reasonable price than it's going for now. (Under $20.) I like the movie okay but it's not worth those secondhand prices. I'd gladly upgrade, though, if this fan edition ever sees the light of day.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #30
f0t0z00m
Screamy Bopper

I just checked Netflix.com and it says streaming coming soon for Popcorn. I haven't seen it yet so I will definitely look for it.