Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
dave13
HackMaster

the trailer looks entertaining, but it would take some pretty strong reviews to get me to see this. there's so much watered-down horror being made today, i don't see much reason to support it.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
the trailer looks entertaining, but it would take some pretty strong reviews to get me to see this. there's so much watered-down horror being made today, i don't see much reason to support it.
Well I don't know what else I can tell you. It was the most fun I had watching a horror film last year.

Here's Deadcentral's review 5/5

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/insidious-2010

Last edited by Ash28M; 03-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Well I don't know what else I can tell you. It was the most fun I had watching a horror film last year.
I'm not saying that i don't think i'll enjoy it or anything. i like a good haunted house (or person, as the trailer says) flick as much as the next guy. but i don't feel compelled to go to the theater very often. hence, unless it starts getting rave reviews across the board, i'll probably just wait to check it out on blu ray.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
Harry Warden
HackMaster

I saw the trailer for this last night and I perked right up. It looks creepy as hell. I will be there on April 1. Looks really good.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
Chunkblower
Stalker

Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I've seen a ghost flick that raised goosebumps so effectively. Kind of a mash up of Poltergeist and the original Nightmare. Never really flat-out scary, but builds some great atmosphere and has moments of genuine creepiness.

I have a few quibbles with the script and pacing, there's some minor out of place comedy that hits the wrong note and there's a character that's a little too eager to become the next Freddy/Jason/Jigsaw but overall I thought it was extremely well done. Lin Shaye slayed in the Zelda Rubinstein role.
Chunkblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

trailers this week definitely piqued my interest, esp after reading the word-of-mouth in this thread.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Watched it tonight and had a blast. Completely different in tone and style than Wan's previous films.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #23
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Wife and I saw it tonight and loved it!! It genuinely creeped me out during some sequences. It's nice to see a modern mainstream horror movie actually use suspense rather than a cheap scare (i.e. loud noise with flash cuts). I HIGHLY recommend everyone checking this out!
rxfiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
ReelFear
Maniac

INSIDIOUS has a lot going for it. First off The music will get under your skin right from the get go. There's 7 or 8 scares, which is more than most horror movies i can remember, and the cast and crew do a fine job with the budget and material. There's some images that will stick with you long after the credits roll.
The main problem i had with the film is that it's so similar to Poltergeist and even Paranormal Activity. Now I've seen plenty of ghost movies, so I'm used to treading familiar ground, but it was enough to distract me during the screening. I also felt it was all so easy for the woman to come into the house and know whats going on. kinda funny even. So INSIDIOUS is well worth seeing, but unfortunately didn't reach the level of the all time classics like The Exorcist or The Shining. Therefore my final rating would be 7.5 out of 10.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #25
Harry Warden
HackMaster

I saw this today. The trailer was really good when I saw it a few weeks ago and I'm really glad I went. The film did not let me down. James Wan's best film to date. I jumped 5 or 6 times during the film..and that's not something that many horror films can make me do these days. It is a great homage to Poltergeist, but not identical. If you like haunted house flicks and a lot of subtle genuine scares, this is the film for you. Overall, very creative, well directed and acted. I'd give it an A.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #26
Cujo108

I caught this last night, and surprise, surprise, I loved it. I'm not much of a Wan fan. If not for Rose Byrne being in this, I likely would have waited to see it on Blu-ray.

I was very impressed with the level of atmosphere and tension on display. The film is genuinely unsettling. I also thought the idea behind what the haunting actually is was most intriguing, a creative detour from the norm. Everything with Lin Shaye and her crew is gold. They come in midway through and pretty much steal the movie.

One major plot point is predictable and I didn't much care for a bizarre scene with
Spoiler:
the demon in his little workshop,
but Insidious worked for me as a whole. It's a step in the right direction for Wan, and I'm glad I made a trip to the theater for it.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #27
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo108 View Post

One major plot point is predictable and I didn't much care for a bizarre scene with
Spoiler:
the demon in his little workshop,
but Insidious worked for me as a whole. It's a step in the right direction for Wan, and I'm glad I made a trip to the theater for it.
I don't know if it was the odd dream like quality of that scene but for some reason it absolutely worked for me. That's the one scene that lingered in my head the longest days afterwards. I just found it so creepy. I seem to be in the minority on that though.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #28
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Saw this yesterday and really liked it a lot! I love haunted house movies and Insidious is one of the best I've seen in a while. Very effective moments of horror and with such a small budget.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #29
SaxCatz
Maniac

Seeing alot of praise for this movies from critics and fan (hardcore and casual) alike.
Also, its great to see Lin Shaye return to a horror role. Would love to go see this, especially since I have a pair of passes burning a hole in my wallet, but I probably will wait till the Blu-ray release as my home theater experience is typically better than the local cinema and I was really looking foward to saving those passes for Super 8.
Maybe I'll break down and catch a matinee in a few weeks anyway...
SaxCatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser40 View Post
has this the same kind of hyperkinetic editing that ruins most films these days? that screenshot looks kinda inviting!
That's what I want to know, too.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote