Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > News

Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #226
ronnie21
HackMaster

the funny thing is, shes so young to remember all these early 80's movies she presenting..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #227
ronnie21
HackMaster

I can't to read the first review for Humongous.. should be soon...I would love to know how the picture quality is gonna be...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #228
rhett

Scorpion has revealed the covers and full details for their upcoming NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT and THE PYX DVDs:

THE PYX

Two Academy AwardŽ nominated actors, CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER and KAREN BLACK, join forces in this suspense thriller about the murder of a prostitute with satanic overtones. Police sergeant Henderson (Academy AwardŽ nominee Christopher Plummer, SOUND OF MUSIC, STAR TREK VI, MURDER BY DECREE, SOMEWHERE IN TIME) investigates the murder of prostitute Elizabeth Lucy (Academy AwardŽ nominee Karen Black, FIVE EASY PIECES, DAY OF THE LOCUST, FAMILY PLOT). Around her neck she was wearing an upside down cross, and clutched in her fist, a locket, both unusal for a high class call girl. Will Henderson solve her murder? Now watch this in an all new HiDef master from the original camera negatives, in its original scope ratio!

Special Features:
  • Play with or without Katarina's Nightmare Theater
  • 16x9 2:35 scope widescreen from a Brand New HD master from the original Camera Negatives
  • Audio commentary from star Karen Black
  • Original Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve with and without Katarina's banner

NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT

Masters of horror SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE and PETER CUSHING pair up in this spine-tingling gothic thriller! When a Scottish island orphanage is inundated by a rash of cold-blooded murders, Special Bureau Chief Bingham (Lee, DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS, THE WICKER MAN, THE MUMMY) of Scotland Yard is dispatched to investigate. He and his ally (Cushing, STAR WARS, THE CREEPING FLESH, SHE, FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL), a hospital pathologist, begin to uncover a series of bizarre and baffling clues.

Special Features:
  • Play with or without Katarina's Nightmare Theater
  • 16x9 widescreen
  • Liner Notes by Christopher Gullo, author of Peter Cushing biography, "In All Sincerity...Peter Cushing".
  • Original Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve with and without Katarina's banner

Both retail for $14.95 and hit October 18th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nbtn.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5910   Click image for larger version

Name:	pyx.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	5911  
Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #229
dave13
HackMaster

I've never heard of nothing but the night, but im interested. it seems like its a rare film that puts cushing and lee on the same side of things (like the hound of the baskervilles), so count me in.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #230
Demoni
HackMaster

And can someone confirm if "Nothing But The Night" and "The Pyx" are worth getting?
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #231
crikan
HackMaster

^^ I'm getting THE PYX based off the cool trailer and positive IMDB reviews. Having recently watched SEPARATE WAYS and KILLER FISH, I'm also looking forward to seeing more Karen Black.

I'm on the fence with NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT.
crikan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #232
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
^^ I'm getting THE PYX based off the cool trailer and positive IMDB reviews. Having recently watched SEPARATE WAYS and KILLER FISH, I'm also looking forward to seeing more Karen Black.

I'm on the fence with NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT.
Well, to tell you the truth, I watched both trailers on their previous releases and I didn´t enjoy the trailers from "THE PYX" and "NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT" so I´m somehow counting on you fine folks to advised me on this.

The only positive and at the same time negative remark I saw on the web was for "NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT" and it said that is was kind of a "Wicker Man" but made in a weaker way.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #233
Vortex
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Well, to tell you the truth, I watched both trailers on their previous releases and I didn´t enjoy the trailers from "THE PYX" and "NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT" so I´m somehow counting on you fine folks to advised me on this.
The Pyx came highly recommended by board member Cujo108 and that's good enough for me. I've yet to be disappointed by one of his suggestions. Nothing but the Night is one I've been intrigued by since reading about it in a reference book so I'm probably ordering it too. More Cushing and Lee never hurts.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #234
Erick H.
HackMaster

I'm really looking forward to these.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #235
startide
Stalker

Nothing But the Night is pretty ordinary, not really a horror film, but with the mention of The Wicker Man I get the connection now (I hated that film, FWIW).

Maybe if you liked/loved The Wicker Man you might enjoy it, but looking back on it, I enjoyed the former more than the latter, so I don't know what that says about me, but yeah, pass on Nothing But the Night if you aren't sure. The performances are OK and the cinematography was reasonably pretty from what I remember (I taped it off TV, back in the day when I could see Hammer and others on TV), but overall it's nothing particularly special or memorable, other than to see Cushing and Lee together, again.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #236
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
Nothing But the Night is pretty ordinary, not really a horror film, but with the mention of The Wicker Man I get the connection now (I hated that film, FWIW).

Maybe if you liked/loved The Wicker Man you might enjoy it, but looking back on it, I enjoyed the former more than the latter, so I don't know what that says about me, but yeah, pass on Nothing But the Night if you aren't sure. The performances are OK and the cinematography was reasonably pretty from what I remember (I taped it off TV, back in the day when I could see Hammer and others on TV), but overall it's nothing particularly special or memorable, other than to see Cushing and Lee together, again.
Give The Wicker Man another chance... the first time I saw it I hated it... it was only on my third viewing (I have a friend that is a real fan and he was constantly bugging me so see it) that I started to like it, and now I love it.

Like I said earlier, the thing that let me down was when someone said that it was a weaker Wicker Man.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #237
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Give The Wicker Man another chance... the first time I saw it I hated it... it was only on my third viewing (I have a friend that is a real fan and he was constantly bugging me so see it) that I started to like it, and now I love it.
I'll have to take your word for it. I had read lots about it (as much as one could, pre internet anyway) and when it finally appeared in the TV guide early one morning I fired up the VCR. So what did I get when I finally sat down to watch it? A fucking musical! That was the one thing that wasn't mentioned in all I had read. I can tolerate numerous things in horror, but horror + musical isn't on the list.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #238
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I watched the wretched, washed-out DVD of THE PYX years ago and didn't care for it, but I am going to pick this up anyway. Karen Black's commentary tracks are always bizarre and totally self-absorbed--LOVE HER.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #239
MaxRenn
Stalker

The Pyx deserves to be more widely known. It is an excellent movie whose unusual structure works in its favor as the film builds to its conclusion. It features good work by Black and Plummer and I am really looking forward to a widescreen DVD as I have only seen it on a poor quality VHS.

Nothing But the Night is not as good but is worth a look for Cushing and Lee fans and there is also a good part for Diana Dors.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #240
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
I'll have to take your word for it. I had read lots about it (as much as one could, pre internet anyway) and when it finally appeared in the TV guide early one morning I fired up the VCR. So what did I get when I finally sat down to watch it? A fucking musical! That was the one thing that wasn't mentioned in all I had read. I can tolerate numerous things in horror, but horror + musical isn't on the list.

C´mon... you´re too harsh. A musical?

The film is about a cult, so is normal that you have some songs when the cult is on screen but classify it as a musical goes a long way.