Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > News

Old 10-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #241
crikan
HackMaster

I got THE PYX last night. DVDPacific has been really good about getting these to me on or before the release date even with standard shipping.

Calling THE PYX a horror film is a stretch. There is nothing even remotely horror until the final 10 minutes and even that is very tame. Its really a murder mystery type thriller. Most of the screen time is police investigation and Karen Black dealing with addiction. It’s overly long and too many scenes really drag. The structure of the film and some good performances are the only thing that allowed me to finish it. The finale was nothing special. Its really forgettable and Katrina’s skit added nothing. I dig Karen Black so I might give the commentary track a spin.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #242
ronnie21
HackMaster

still no info or reviews about humongous.. hopefully soon...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #243
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
still no info or reviews about humongous.. hopefully soon...
But Humongous was delayed to November 15... almost a month from now.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #244
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
C´mon... you´re too harsh. A musical?
Perhaps, but I was probably expecting something different. A horror film, yes. Musical numbers, no. I guess I was taken by surprise and by the time the musical numbers came in (and yes, they were musical numbers!) it was too late. I was "lost" to the film and I/it couldn't recover after that, I was just annoyed and wanted it to end. "Corn Rigs" is lovely though, for whatever that's worth.

Who knows, if I saw it today, knowing full well there's a song around the corner, I might change my mind, I did change my mind on My Bloody Valentine after all -going from "meh" to "very good/excellent" in the span from VHS to DVD - but I don't plan on revisiting it any time soon.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #245
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
Perhaps, but I was probably expecting something different. A horror film, yes. Musical numbers, no. I guess I was taken by surprise and by the time the musical numbers came in (and yes, they were musical numbers!) it was too late.
I never deny there was musical numbers in the movie.
What I said was that the film is about a cult, so is very normal that you have some songs when the cult is present on screen... then I stated that was wrong to classify the film as a musical.

Many cults from the 60s and the 70s had musical rituals as part of their culture.

Rewatch the movie with your mind open and set in the era that the film was made.

Last edited by Demoni; 10-20-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #246
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
I never deny there was musical numbers in the movie.
What I said was that the film is about a cult, so is very normal that you have some songs when the cult is present on screen... then I stated that was wrong to classify the film as a musical.

Rewatch the movie with your mind open and set in the era that the film was made.
A musical is a musical as far as I am concerned, irrespective of what else it might deal with.

Like I said, I don't plan on revisiting it. There's a whole decade of horror I do like on DVD I have yet to catch up with, not to mention my VHS collection!
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #247
ronnie21
HackMaster

surprised there isnt any reviews on the net yet for humongous.. usually there are a review or 2 3 to 4 weeks before hand..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #248
rhett

On November 8th, Scorpion Releasing and Katarina's Nightmare Theater presents THE CARPENTER and SATAN'S BLOOD!

In THE CARPENTER, WINGS HAUSER builds a hallucinogenic house of horrors in this bloodcurdling thriller! Alice is experiencing a breakdown. Her cold, unsympathetic husband is cheating on her. She is having vivid psychotic nightmares and the only thing keeping her happy is setting up house in her newly-acquired country estate. But the home -- and her shattered nerves -- are in need of repair. Until Alice discovers the perfect man for the job. In the delirious dead of night, a strange solitary worker (Wings Hauser - VICE SQUAD, TOUGH GUYS DON'T DANCE) is inexplicably renovating her house. And he is willing to kill those who come between him and his house as well as those who threaten Alice!

Special Features:

Play with or with
out Katarina's Nightmare Theater

Brand New 16x9 1:78 Uncut widescreen master

Reversible sleeve with and without Katarina's banner

Next, SATAN'S BLOOD:

Terror, sex and Satanic rituals are on a one-way ride to Hell in SATAN'S BLOOD, one of the most horrific and sexiest thrillers from Spain! In this occult chiller, Andy and Anna are a bored couple who decide to go for a drive in the country. On the way, they meet another couple who claim to know them from many years before. Despite their uncertainty, Andy and Anna agree to visit the mysterious couple's country house and end up staying the night. Thus begins a twisted night of sex, satanic rituals, and gruesome horror. Pray for daylight.

Special Feature:

Play with or without Katarina's Nightmare Theater

16x9 1:66 widescreen from a HD master

Still Gallery

Reversible sleeve with and without Katarina's banner

MSRP for THE CARPENTER is 19.95, MSRP for SATAN'S BLOOD is an affordable 14.95

Katarina Leigh Waters is a former WWE Diva, and current star of Impact Wrestling, as well as an actress in several upcoming projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carp.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5942   Click image for larger version

Name:	sblood.jpg
Views:	1245
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5943  
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #249
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
surprised there isnt any reviews on the net yet for humongous.. usually there are a review or 2 3 to 4 weeks before hand..
funny i was just about to post the same thing i hope the 2 titles coming out nov 8th doesnt mean that humongous dvd will be delayed again?
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #250
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

^ I will buy Satan's Blood, but I'm gonna pass on The Carpenter. I own that one on VHS and it isn't very good. If I can find it dirt cheap, I might get it later on.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #251
Katatonia
Master of Doom

The next wave is up for pre-order:

The House on Sorority Row

The Devil's Men / Terror

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #252
MorallySound
There is no magic.

DiabolikDVD has a 6-pack Special on a few of the new Scorpion titles. Get Nothing but the Night, Final Exam, The Devil Within Her, The Carpenter, The Pyx, and Satan's Blood for $68.99. While supplies last of course.

http://diabolikdvd.com/category/Brow...al-Offer-.html

Too bad I had most of these order from Amazon and a few have been shipped already... Otherwise I would have jumped on this today. But for those of you who haven't, tis a great deal!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #253
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Some of these are on sale at DeepDiscount. Final Exam and Humongous are two of them.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #254
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Humongous must be coming because Deep Discount just pinged my PayPal account for this order I placed back in August. Woot!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #255
foller
Stalker

Amazon also lists "Revenge" (1971) as another Scorpion release in January. Is this part of the Katarina line? Since there are at least 2 movies from 1971 with this title, which movie will it be?
foller is offline   Reply With Quote