Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #61
TheDreamMaster
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
You were expecting something awesome and original? Pffffft horror movies are so cliche now lower your standards.
From this response, I can definitely say you should go see Cabin in the Woods and prepare to come back and eat a little crow, at least on the originality front. You might find the movie to be a big, steaming pile of horseshit, but you won't be able to deny that it's pretty original. Hell, it's about originality.
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #62
chancetx
Stalker

Definitely more funny than scary. I was disappointed in the ending but others may not be. I appreciate any new twist filmmakers can inject into the genre but this one just didn't work for me. I'd still say anyone interested should watch it for themselves before passing judgement. "Evil Dead" fans especially should appreciate the references. And the gore at the end should please any fan of "Dead Alive." I had a good time but I don't see much replay value.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #63
Ash28M
HackMaster

I thought this was "pretty good" the least interesting moments were at the cabin. Once it got away from that it was more entertaining and original but it never rises to any great heights.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #64
Ash
Stalker

The last part of the movie wasn't original at all. The premise was a big rip-off of the Cube. Also
Spoiler:
Sigourney Weaver's random cameo made no fucking sense. What a waste of talent.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #65
fceurich39
HackMaster

i thought it was very fun and cool cant wait for the blu-ray and was very surprised that MGM sat on this for a couple years then lionsgate got the rights from mgm but too bad they cant get poughkeepsie tapes from mgm
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #66
russweiss
Maniac

My wife enjoyed it more than I did but overall worth a viewing. I agree that it was original but I kept hoping for more. Too much comedy doesn't usually work well in horror films. I did enjoy the Evil Dead references and even commented that it was Henrietta when the cellar door flew open. Also got to see the sneak trailer for Expendables 2.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #67
SaxCatz
Maniac

I thoroughly enjoyed. Once I realized what the film is really about, which was fairly early on as Whedon really doesn't hold back and the plot developes gradually rather then with a sudden twist, actually found it somewhat predictable. However, its originality is still praise worthy, the wit is sharp (which is very important since there is alot of it), the homages are constant and appropriate without getting in the way, there are a few good scares, and the gore is great- reserved for much of the movie and then over the top when the times comes. On the negative side, the CGI, which is on full display for the climax, is rather poor and the very end is somewhat unfulfilling.
IMHO, this and Tucker and Dale are the best horror comedies of at least the l past decade.
SaxCatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #68
fceurich39
HackMaster

the cgi didnt look that great it kinda showed that this film was made in 2009
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #69
SaxCatz
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
the cgi didnt look that great it kinda showed that this film was made in 2009
If we were to judge from the CGI alone, I would've believed them had they told us that the film was made in 1999.
SaxCatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #70
MacabreFilms
Victim

I really wanted to like this movie, but I thought it was dreadful. The only scenes that made me giggle were the Asian ghost scenes and one character's brave monologue that ends with their botched attempt at heroism on a motorcycle. The rest was just dull and uninspired. It's like Whedon thinks his "new" take on horror films is just so fresh and interesting. Apparently, he never saw Scream. It's nothing that we haven't already seen done better in other movies.

Don't even get me started on the CGI that looks straight out of a SyFy channel movie and the horrible characters. The stoner guy needed to be killed. What an annoying character!

Not a real laugh, scare, or suspenseful scene to be found.

It had potential, but something went horribly wrong. It felt soulless.
MacabreFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #71
promnight13
Victim

Throwing in my two cents too...

First off: Not scary in the least. I think I jumped once in on a fake "gotcha" moment where someone came out of nowhere.

2) I thought the last 15 minutes was a clever and creative idea but I left the theater imagining all of the other, much more cooler and suspenseful ways they could of executed it.

3) The most implausible plot set-up since Stonehedge was moved to California to make snake-producing Halloween III masks.

4) Loved the surprise cameo though.

5) Hated all of the supposedly funny stoner jokes that feel flat everytime they hit.

6) The very last scene before the credits. Really?
promnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #72
Anaestheus
HackMaster

My take:

I really liked it. I thought it was an original spin on the tropes of horror films. The story was full of good twists that kept it interesting. The characters were fresh and fun with enough individual personality to make them all interesting.

However, while all the plot twists were good, they were all telegraphed a bit too heavily about 5 minutes before each of them happened, which made it a bit easy to see them coming and sucked out a bit of the surprise for each reveal. This was a shame as the story on a whole was very original and had they left out the "signals" and let the surprises come with less warning, it could have packed a bit more of a punch. It almost felt that while the ideas at the root of the script are really intelligent, it didn't seem to have enough faith in the audience's intelligence or ability to follow the twists without warning.

But, with all that said, it is still a pretty damn good film. People are right to say that it's not very scary. But it is still immensely enjoyable and I'd still recommend it to anyone. It's still clever, fun, and thrilling. It won't give anyone nightmares, but it will certainly give you food for thought about the cliches of horror films and what their implications are.

Maybe it's just because I've been on a "Supernatural" kick, but it reminded me a lot of some of the episodes of that show where the story gets a bit "meta". And, I really enjoyed the movie in the same way that I enjoyed that TV show. I'd also say that the movies overall tone reminds me a bit of "Tremors". So, if you liked that film as much as I did, you'd probably get a similar kick out of "Cabin".
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #73
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
The last part of the movie wasn't original at all. The premise was a big rip-off of the Cube.
I did have element but I wouldn't say it was a big rip off of the cube. If anything it was a ripoff of the Evil Dead. To the extent that it may even hurt the chances of the remake being released being so similar. Not that I really want to see a remake.

Last edited by Ash28M; 04-16-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #74
YottNik
Pay the price!

Caught a matinee this afternoon and enjoyed the heck out of it. Not sure what the complaints are against the CGI. Crappy CGI effects are a big pet peeve of mine but I didn't see anything here that really bothered me or took me out of the film.

"Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves." -- Peart

"They call me Slick."
YottNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #75
maybrick
HackMaster

You know what I really love about this movie? At the end of the film one thing is conspicuously absent:

Spoiler:
Vampires
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote