Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Robert Simandl
Screamy Bopper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
The Hills Have Eyes Imports?

By now the horrible picture quality of Image Entertainment's Blu-ray of the original HILLS HAVE EYES is legendary.

I notice on blu-ray.com there are releases of this film on BD in Canada and Germany. No reviews of either one, unfortunately.

Anyone have any idea if either of these is better than the p.o.s. from Image we have here in the States?

Thanks!
Robert Simandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,537
It isn't that the picture quality of the bluray is "horrible" per se, it's that it's 100% completely identical in every respect to the nearly 10 year old DVD and therefore absolutely not worth an upgrade. Just thought I'd clarify that point. It was definitely one of the biggest disappoints I've ever had in regards to a blu-ray and I'm glad I was lucky enough to review the picture quality before making a double dip. I would've been pee-issed!

I would also like to know more about these other country's releases as well.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Matt89
HackMaster
 
Matt89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,489
Canadian release from eOne entertainment is exactly the same as the US release.

~Matt
__________________
"If a man can bridge the gap between life and death ... I mean, if he can live on after his death, then maybe he was a great man."
- James Dean
Matt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Robert Simandl
Screamy Bopper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Canadian release from eOne entertainment is exactly the same as the US release.

~Matt
Okay, strike 2. Thanks for the info, though.

Anybody have a glance at the German release? Hoping it's not strike 3.

Thanks!
Robert Simandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
Grim
HackMaster
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 7,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
It isn't that the picture quality of the bluray is "horrible" per se, it's that it's 100% completely identical in every respect to the nearly 10 year old DVD and therefore absolutely not worth an upgrade. Just thought I'd clarify that point. It was definitely one of the biggest disappoints I've ever had in regards to a blu-ray and I'm glad I was lucky enough to review the picture quality before making a double dip. I would've been pee-issed!

I would also like to know more about these other country's releases as well.
I've viewed that disc a couple times and I can say wholeheartedly that it is not 100% identical. There are a few, albeit brief moments of increased clarity. I'm not saying it's worth the upgrade in anyway, but there were improvements, even if they were drastically minor.
__________________
AIM: MrGrim132002
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I've viewed that disc a couple times and I can say wholeheartedly that it is not 100% identical. There are a few, albeit brief moments of increased clarity. I'm not saying it's worth the upgrade in anyway, but there were improvements, even if they were drastically minor.
You're just kidding yourself.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Demoni
HackMaster
 
Demoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,756
From what Ive read on OFDB, the german edition is the same.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Dobby
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,414
I have an HD rip of Hill Have Eyes I grabbed off a torrent. It's very sharp and the detail is amazing blows the Image blu ray out of the water. While there is some traces of grain the image is very sharp in detail. Rubi's face is crystal clear and you can see detail in her face. Unlike before when you could not get passed the grain. The only thing that confuses me is there is no information on the torrent as to where it came from. The only thing I know for sure is it's PAL formatted so my ps3 will not play it. The file is way too big for a DVDr wish I knew how to burn this onto a blu ray burner. If they would release blu ray recorders for the home I could easily record it that way. I just can't understand why there is no blu ray recorders in the States. All we get is a recorder for our computers that doesn't always work right.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Grim
HackMaster
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 7,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
You're just kidding yourself.
I'm not. Like I said, I don't think it's worth the upgrade at all because the differences are so negligible, but there are a few.
__________________
AIM: MrGrim132002
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Grim
HackMaster
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 7,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I have an HD rip of Hill Have Eyes I grabbed off a torrent. It's very sharp and the detail is amazing blows the Image blu ray out of the water. While there is some traces of grain the image is very sharp in detail. Rubi's face is crystal clear and you can see detail in her face. Unlike before when you could not get passed the grain. The only thing that confuses me is there is no information on the torrent as to where it came from. The only thing I know for sure is it's PAL formatted so my ps3 will not play it. The file is way too big for a DVDr wish I knew how to burn this onto a blu ray burner. If they would release blu ray recorders for the home I could easily record it that way. I just can't understand why there is no blu ray recorders in the States. All we get is a recorder for our computers that doesn't always work right.

I thought HD eschews the whole PAL and NTSC systems.
__________________
AIM: MrGrim132002
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 12,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I thought HD eschews the whole PAL and NTSC systems.
Real HD does as it's all 1080p and 25fps (I think it's 25, but it is a set number of frames per second that varies in NTSC to PAL, which causes the "PAL speedup" of 5% or so).

Although in the past I downloaded torrents that were originally HD rips, then converted to NTSC SD. Those looked far better than the studio dvds of the same titles, but not as good as the eventual blu-rays did. Maybe the torrent Dobby has is like that? How big is the file Dobby? Lots of the hd rips I used to get were set for 8.5 gigs and fit on a dual layer dvdr, or could be shrunk to a single layer with Nero or whatever burning program.
__________________
"!"

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I'm not. Like I said, I don't think it's worth the upgrade at all because the differences are so negligible, but there are a few.
Bah. Your eyes are fooling you.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
Dobby
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,414
I'll look up my hdrip when I get home on my pc. Stuck at school at the moment can't give it a spin till I'm home.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Vincent Pina
Stalker
 
Vincent Pina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: World of Shit
Posts: 198
What up on that rip, Dobby?
Vincent Pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Dobby
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Pina View Post
What up on that rip, Dobby?
I do believe this is the right one as it's in my movie folders it's quite nice quality. I would Love to know where this came from. I also do believe this is in PAL format. Not that big of a file would like to track down 780p or 1080p instead. Not sure if that even exist but this is quite good.

http://www.torrentreactor.net/torren...luRay-x264-mSD

If this is not the right one let me know I'll double check my folders. I originally grabbed it off another torrent site BTW.

I see the initial date on the file is quite close to the USA release version. Though after watching both they are not the same film source.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2012 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com