Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Robert Simandl
Screamy Bopper

The Hills Have Eyes Imports?

By now the horrible picture quality of Image Entertainment's Blu-ray of the original HILLS HAVE EYES is legendary.

I notice on blu-ray.com there are releases of this film on BD in Canada and Germany. No reviews of either one, unfortunately.

Anyone have any idea if either of these is better than the p.o.s. from Image we have here in the States?

Thanks!
Robert Simandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
maybrick
HackMaster

It isn't that the picture quality of the bluray is "horrible" per se, it's that it's 100% completely identical in every respect to the nearly 10 year old DVD and therefore absolutely not worth an upgrade. Just thought I'd clarify that point. It was definitely one of the biggest disappoints I've ever had in regards to a blu-ray and I'm glad I was lucky enough to review the picture quality before making a double dip. I would've been pee-issed!

I would also like to know more about these other country's releases as well.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Matt89
HackMaster

Canadian release from eOne entertainment is exactly the same as the US release.

~Matt
Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Robert Simandl
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Canadian release from eOne entertainment is exactly the same as the US release.

~Matt
Okay, strike 2. Thanks for the info, though.

Anybody have a glance at the German release? Hoping it's not strike 3.

Thanks!
Robert Simandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
It isn't that the picture quality of the bluray is "horrible" per se, it's that it's 100% completely identical in every respect to the nearly 10 year old DVD and therefore absolutely not worth an upgrade. Just thought I'd clarify that point. It was definitely one of the biggest disappoints I've ever had in regards to a blu-ray and I'm glad I was lucky enough to review the picture quality before making a double dip. I would've been pee-issed!

I would also like to know more about these other country's releases as well.
I've viewed that disc a couple times and I can say wholeheartedly that it is not 100% identical. There are a few, albeit brief moments of increased clarity. I'm not saying it's worth the upgrade in anyway, but there were improvements, even if they were drastically minor.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I've viewed that disc a couple times and I can say wholeheartedly that it is not 100% identical. There are a few, albeit brief moments of increased clarity. I'm not saying it's worth the upgrade in anyway, but there were improvements, even if they were drastically minor.
You're just kidding yourself.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Demoni
HackMaster

From what Ive read on OFDB, the german edition is the same.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Dobby
HackMaster

I have an HD rip of Hill Have Eyes I grabbed off a torrent. It's very sharp and the detail is amazing blows the Image blu ray out of the water. While there is some traces of grain the image is very sharp in detail. Rubi's face is crystal clear and you can see detail in her face. Unlike before when you could not get passed the grain. The only thing that confuses me is there is no information on the torrent as to where it came from. The only thing I know for sure is it's PAL formatted so my ps3 will not play it. The file is way too big for a DVDr wish I knew how to burn this onto a blu ray burner. If they would release blu ray recorders for the home I could easily record it that way. I just can't understand why there is no blu ray recorders in the States. All we get is a recorder for our computers that doesn't always work right.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
You're just kidding yourself.
I'm not. Like I said, I don't think it's worth the upgrade at all because the differences are so negligible, but there are a few.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I have an HD rip of Hill Have Eyes I grabbed off a torrent. It's very sharp and the detail is amazing blows the Image blu ray out of the water. While there is some traces of grain the image is very sharp in detail. Rubi's face is crystal clear and you can see detail in her face. Unlike before when you could not get passed the grain. The only thing that confuses me is there is no information on the torrent as to where it came from. The only thing I know for sure is it's PAL formatted so my ps3 will not play it. The file is way too big for a DVDr wish I knew how to burn this onto a blu ray burner. If they would release blu ray recorders for the home I could easily record it that way. I just can't understand why there is no blu ray recorders in the States. All we get is a recorder for our computers that doesn't always work right.

I thought HD eschews the whole PAL and NTSC systems.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
I thought HD eschews the whole PAL and NTSC systems.
Real HD does as it's all 1080p and 25fps (I think it's 25, but it is a set number of frames per second that varies in NTSC to PAL, which causes the "PAL speedup" of 5% or so).

Although in the past I downloaded torrents that were originally HD rips, then converted to NTSC SD. Those looked far better than the studio dvds of the same titles, but not as good as the eventual blu-rays did. Maybe the torrent Dobby has is like that? How big is the file Dobby? Lots of the hd rips I used to get were set for 8.5 gigs and fit on a dual layer dvdr, or could be shrunk to a single layer with Nero or whatever burning program.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
I'm not. Like I said, I don't think it's worth the upgrade at all because the differences are so negligible, but there are a few.
Bah. Your eyes are fooling you.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
Dobby
HackMaster

I'll look up my hdrip when I get home on my pc. Stuck at school at the moment can't give it a spin till I'm home.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Vincent Pina
Stalker

What up on that rip, Dobby?
Vincent Pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Pina View Post
What up on that rip, Dobby?
I do believe this is the right one as it's in my movie folders it's quite nice quality. I would Love to know where this came from. I also do believe this is in PAL format. Not that big of a file would like to track down 780p or 1080p instead. Not sure if that even exist but this is quite good.

http://www.torrentreactor.net/torren...luRay-x264-mSD

If this is not the right one let me know I'll double check my folders. I originally grabbed it off another torrent site BTW.

I see the initial date on the file is quite close to the USA release version. Though after watching both they are not the same film source.