Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #76
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I loved the hell out of this movie. the turns and twists, caught me every time, I really loved all the crazy amount of references it had to various horror movies.
I loved it really cool concept

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #77
dave13
HackMaster

wow, what a solidly good movie. start to finish, i was never less than entertained. its funny without being overbearingly so. its able to create a cast of stereotypes, but doesn't allow any of them to become grating or annoying, or even one-dimensional. it had great dialogue, great acting, some effectively scary and bloody kills, and great structuring. i loved the part where
Spoiler:
the "final girl" is potentially being killed by the bear-trap zombie on the dock, and instead of showing it, the director focuses on the control room people partying, while giving us glimpses of her ordeal on screens in the background.
its not high art or anything, but its just decisions like that that kept the whole thing interesting, and fresh. i especially loved the evil dead references. the external design on the cabin, the cellar door, and the inclusion of "evil molesting tree" on the white board near the half-way point. i enjoyed it while watching it, and the more i think about it, the happier i am with the whole experience. it does my heart good to know that mainstream horror can still deliver something as good as this. and any film that ends with NIN's "Last" over the opening credits, has got to have its heart in the right place.

Last edited by dave13; 04-22-2012 at 11:38 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #78
Ash28M
HackMaster

I'm really suprised that this film is getting so much love from the horror community. I feel the same way about this film as I did with Trick 'r Treat. They are both just Ok films but nothing special.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #79
othervoice1
HackMaster

Well my best friend and his wife said they wouldnt mind checking this out with me- but so far they havent been able to go - so they are trying to see if they can get free next weekend. If not Im gonna hit this during an afternoon show sometime next week- I hope it would still be in theatres at that point- my guess is it will last 3 weeks maybe 4
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #80
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Cabin in the Woods did everything that I wanted it to. Funny, clever, gory, and a little "meta". The pacing was superb--love the opening title sequence, ha ha. The film nailed every single beat and kept revealing more and more intriguing plot points. I can't wait to rewatch that elevator scene to find easter eggs.

As soon as
Spoiler:
Hemsworth played with that sphere, I knew something Hellraiser-y was in the air!

Whedon and Goddard tapped directly into what I like to watch--more supernatural than scary--and ran with it all. What a fun, fun film.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #81
spawningblue
Deadite

No, this movie isn't scary but it is a damn fun movie made for horror fans! This is one of the most original movies I have seen, especially regarding horror and probably the best the genre has put out in a very very long time. The last act just blew me away and it was fun trying to pick out all the references. The acting and comedy all worked for me and I really don't get all the complaints about the CG. Some of it wasn't up to $200 million budgeted movies but for the most part it worked very well and I loved the designs of the monsters,
Spoiler:
especially the vampire bat, werewolf, pinhead homage, and redneck zombie characters. The one with the bear trap was very cool and menacing
. I also loved how they explained why the characters were cliche and the dumb actions they made. I can't wait until this hits Blu Ray so I can watch it again with a room full of horror fans and try to find all the hidden homages!

I would give it an 8.5 out of 10, maybe even a 9! If you consider yourself a horror fan you owe it to yourself to check this one out, originality like this needs to be rewarded. And for those movie snobs who won't watch anything made after 1989 (Which I don't get at all) you are missing out as this is as original as anything the horror genre has put out.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 04-23-2012 at 06:47 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #82
spawningblue
Deadite

Reading what others thought on here I'm really surprised to see horror fans not liking this film as it was clearly made for us in mind, or even only thinking it was okay. Blu Ray.com seems to have more of the the results I was expecting,

5 stars - 85 votes
4 stars - 68 votes
3 stars - 17 votes
2 stars - 8 votes
1 star - 6 votes.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 04-24-2012 at 03:22 AM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #83
Vortex
Stalker

Horrible film that tries to be too cute and clever for it's own good. Glad I had a theater pass instead of wasting good money.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #84
Azathoth
Victim

Watched this last night with the missus and we both enjoyed it. I went into it with no expectations and knowing little about it and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't take a big issue with the CGI, although the pot jokes got old quick. I wasn't letdown until

Spoiler:
the last few seconds. After the great plot twist buildup I expected some incomprehensible Lovecraftian horror, instead I got a giant cartoony lava hand.
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #85
othervoice1
HackMaster

I finally got to watch this today - absolutely loved it! A very smart and funny horror flick that isn't the same ole thing - I'm surprised there are some horror fans out there that did not like it - I could see where maybe the ending wouldn't rub everyone the right way but the movie overall was just great. Ill be picking this one up on blu when it comes out.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #86
baggio
HackMaster

I'm kinda torn on this movie. It was a entertaining movie, but I don't think I like the whole "reason" the events were happening plot. That pushed it to the goofy side of the meter.

And when I say "reason":
Spoiler:
I'm talking specifically about the "evil gods" story. That came across really really dumb. I think the story would have been much better, if the reason behind the killings was from a twisted minded psycho killing people for his/her amusement or some sort of sick underground betting game.
Both much better background ideas, regardless if they have sort of been done before. It still would have made a better final product imo.

Also no one mentioned the whole
Spoiler:
Truman Show
feel to the entire movie. A much closer film that this took an idea from than
Spoiler:
Cube imo.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #87
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
And when I say "reason"
I should have recognized the meta plot, rather kicking myself in the arse for not doing so. But the deconstruction on the net states that the "reason" is...

Spoiler:
The "evil gods" are the horror movie audience. The organization (in an obvious nod are run by "directors") is just a metaphor for the movie studios - with each location being references to the regional flavors of horror film "genres". In order to keep the "evil gods" - the audience - slumberingly content, they are expected to produce entertainment that follows a predictable set of character and plot points, with the means of the characters' demise just being an unimportant and interchangeable ingredient in the soup. Fail to follow the cliches, try to shake the formula up instead of catering to the lowest denominator, and the "evil gods" will rise up and take their wrath out on the "world" - the movie industry world.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #88
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

For fans of the film, I just read that there is a "visual companion" that gives you closer looks at the monsters and reveals easter eggs. For example:

Spoiler:
There are tons of little Easter Eggs. Including, during the monster rampage, a quick glimpse of a short version of a Reaver from Firefly/Serenity.

(Note that I put the above in spoiler tags because I read about it, recognized it as a spoiler, and didn't want to ruin it for posters browsing the thread.)

Also interesting tidbits, like:

Quote:
Whedon was the second-unit director on the film. And he was on set the whole time, to the bitter end — and then he had to run back to L.A. and work on Dollhouse.
It's got an afterword by Whedon and it includes the full script.

Much more great stuff at the i09 review. Book is available here.

this film is gonna go bananas on DVD and BR.

Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #89
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Preorder announced today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B008G33O0G

Has anyone heard about what extras are going to be on it? They could really put together some kickass stuff for it.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #90
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Nevermind, just found it at Blu-Ray.com:

Lionsgate's Blu-ray/Digital Copy combo pack presents the film in its 2.39:1 original aspect ratio with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. The disc also includes the following supplements:
*Audio commentary with writer/director Drew Goddard and writer/producer Joss Whedon
*Behind-the-scenes documentary We Are Not Who We Are: Making The Cabin in the Woods
*The Secret Secret Stash two-part featurette:
--Marty's Stash
--Hi, My Name is Joss, and I'll Be Your Guide
*Wonder-Con Q&A with Joss and Drew
*Behind-the-scenes featurettes:
--An Army of Nightmares: Make-Up & Animatronic Effects
--Primal Terror: Visual Effects
*Blu-ray exclusive It's Not What You Think: The Cabin in the Woods Bonus View Mode
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote