Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Terror Tract coming to blu-ray?

Always loved this little made-for-TV horror anthology. Well, according to blu-ray.com, it is coming to high-definition this October!
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Dobby
HackMaster

Always loved this flick also didn't care for the Cherry Falls double feature.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Always loved this flick also didn't care for the Cherry Falls double feature.
I thought Cherry Falls was pretty good. (RIP Brittany Murphy) It's a shame it was heavily butchered upon its release. I would love an uncut Blu-ray with this cover art

It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Love my Cherry Falls/Terror Tract DVD.

Cherry Falls is a solid slasher (would die for an uncut release, though) and Terror Tract is a fun anthology flick (the first story is kind of meh but the rest are lots of fun).
Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

yeah, i remember hearing about how cut down cherry falls was when it was first released, and i really wanted to see it. it was a little underwhelming when i finally got around to it, but i'd still be pretty interested in seeing an uncut version. i only watched terror tract once, and hated it at the time.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Funny, I found this post. I recently bought the UK DVD of Cherry Falls. I wanted to see it again. I only saw it on USA network, which is where is was originally run. I read that there is an NC-17 version. The film is good, but I would love to know what was cut. It seems like it was ripe for more violence and considering the theme, a lot more nudity!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

^ You know, I've heard the rumors of uncut footage out there, but I honestly don't believe that much would have to be cut from it. Even the R-rated version that was released on DVD wasn't that graphic. I highly doubt that the cuts to the film are as drastic as described.

The original screenplay for Cherry Falls is available online and can be found pretty easily. The general plot and characters are the same, but the actual screenplay is extremely different from the finished film. I have to imagine the cuts / changes came before the movie even went before cameras.

This is entirely speculation, but if I had to guess, any uncut footage that surfaces will likely only be a couple of shots here and there. I highly doubt we would see much "graphic sexual activity during the climactic orgy sequence" as described on IMDB.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

I think most kills were cut down, one (with the girl getting her head bashed in with the door) was completely re shot because the original was deemed too violent (she originally had her head cut off, I think), and the ending was substantially trimmed for overt sexual scenes.
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Posted this info in one of the Cherry Falls threads back in 2005:

Quote:
I asked Wright about this shortly after the film came out and to make a long story short, his intended cut never made it past a low-res AVID stage. Of course, since that time he was not only forced to remove and recut extensive sections of the film, he was also forced to reshoot softer variants of everything from sex and violence to the more provocative lines of dialogue. In order to do a restoration, a full re-assembly would essentially be required, and they would need to go through endless cans of neg and mountains of editing notes to even come close to doing it right. Now, this certainly isn't impossible - indeed, Frank Mazzola did exactly that when he undertook the restoration of Donald Cammell's brilliant director's cut of WILD SIDE - but it is a very costly endeavor. I would like to think that someone would at least have a semi-watchable VHS of the first cut for easy reference, but I'm not sure.
I do agree, CHERRY FALLS is a unique, subversive satire that in its current version feels wholly tampered with. It consistently falls short of achieving the greatness that was so clearly within reach (and that I've no doubt, Wright must have initally attained - hence the uproariously knee-jerk response that his cut received from both the MPAA and USA films).

What's really awful is that had October Films not gone under and been taken over by USA while the film was in production, Wright would have almost certainly had people fighting in his corner and the film could very well have come out relatively untouched.

It's bitterly ironic that the actual negative was re-worked to achieve an R-rating for the US theatrical release...destroying the opportunity for multiple release cuts and meaning that every international territory was now stuck with the bastardized version... and it had a theatrical run almost everywhere in the world EXCEPT for the country it was mutilated for!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Yeah. I saw that a while back. A shame it's unlikely we'll ever see a proper release...
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote