Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #46
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

That girl wasn't even in the movie.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #47
ronnie21
HackMaster

yeah, that whole scene was like made just for the tv spot.. how she was dragged into a crawlspace. no down the celler stairs.. but really cool tv spot. wish they would have included it on the blu.. i remember seeing that one on tv when i was only 9...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #48
maybrick
HackMaster

All of the cellars in town were connected to the old mine so presumably there were other Boogen killings going on at the same time elsewhere and this was one of them.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #49
SpaceAce
Stalker

I am debating on blind buying this. I enjoyed the 80's feel/cheese factor of Humanoids from the deep and Piranha, does this kind of go along those lines as far as the feel of the movie? I blind bought Humongous and thought it would be along those lines and I really didn't like that movie and sold it, so I wanted to get some opinions as far as something the Boogens might compare to. Thanks for the help.
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #50
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAce View Post
I am debating on blind buying this. I enjoyed the 80's feel/cheese factor of Humanoids from the deep and Piranha, does this kind of go along those lines as far as the feel of the movie? I blind bought Humongous and thought it would be along those lines and I really didn't like that movie and sold it, so I wanted to get some opinions as far as something the Boogens might compare to. Thanks for the help.
You blind bought Humongous and you didnīt like it, despite the fact that many people here like the movie, so in this case it may well be the same, many people will say itīs good, even though, in the end, you still may not like it... movies are like this, some will like it and some will not.

I think the best is for you to download an online vhs rip of it, watch it, and judge it for yourself.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #51
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I love Humanoids and Piranha, and also really enjoyed The Boogens. Like you, I disliked Humongous and found it very boring.
I'd give The Boogens a shot.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #52
ronnie21
HackMaster

the boogens is good creepy fun for a winter night.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #53
Zillamon51
Maniac

Boogens is not as humorous as Piranha. It's better than Humanoids. It has a good setting and benefits from realistic, likeable characters. Some people don't like the rubber monsters at the end, but I do. They're kind of cute, almost like vicious Pokemon. Sorry; that makes them sound cheesier than they are. I saw it for the first time on TCM a year or so ago. Recommended.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #54
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I think I like Piranha, Humanoids and Boogens equally-similar yet different films in many respects.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #55
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
All of the cellars in town were connected to the old mine so presumably there were other Boogen killings going on at the same time elsewhere and this was one of them.
That's one way to look at it. But I don't recall seeing that girl around town when I was living there. Perhaps she got Boogen'd before I got there.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #56
ronnie21
HackMaster

i love the boogens monsters. I always thought they looked cool.. i was surprised to hear that others thought they looked bad. I didnt. i think they were awesome..
Now on humunoids.. it would have been alot better if they would have found a way to splice in some of those deleted scenes into the film it self... now that would have been killer. The one scene would have fit perfect durning the dance scene where the fight breaks out. where the 2 kids were in the car and were attacked.. that would have fit like a glove..
Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #57
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
i love the boogens monsters. I always thought they looked cool.. i was surprised to hear that others thought they looked bad. I didnt. i think they were awesome..
Now on humunoids.. it would have been alot better if they would have found a way to splice in some of those deleted scenes into the film it self... now that would have been killer. The one scene would have fit perfect durning the dance scene where the fight breaks out. where the 2 kids were in the car and were attacked.. that would have fit like a glove..
I agree, the Humanoids deleted scenes are awesome.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #58
ronnie21
HackMaster

actually. they were better than the actual movie, thats bad....
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #59
startide
Stalker

SpaceAce, The Boogens is one of the best early 80s horror movies IMO. It is an extremely fun slasher/monster movie that you will have a good time with. I wouldn't have said the same of Humongous, which is a fairly average entry in the genre. Lynch has his moments, and Prom Night is my favourite horror movie of all time, but it's not the one I'd generally choose to watch, given the choice, and Humongous is several rungs below Prom Night in quality.

I too have blind bought immeasurable amounts of crap in the last 15 years or so, but The Boogens isn't one of them. (OK, I downloaded it, but the end result is the same. Before this DVD/BD was released, I might add.)

BTW, that TV spot is a great marketing tool. Genius!! It sells The Boogens, but gives nothing away in terms of the movie. I guess some people would be upset if they saw that on TV and then saw nothing of it when they went to the cinema, but I get the idea and think it's fab.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #60
maybrick
HackMaster

Just got around to ordering it thru deep discount and it is back ordered. Wouldn't it be a kick in the ass if it's already OOP? Not that I'm too afraid of that being the case, of course.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote