Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's the worst Halloween film?
Halloween (1978) 1 0.85%
Halloween II 2 1.69%
Halloween III: Season of the Witch 3 2.54%
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 0 0%
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 4 3.39%
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers 13 11.02%
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later 2 1.69%
Halloween: Resurrection 45 38.14%
Rob Zombie's Halloween 20 16.95%
Rob Zombie's Halloween II 20 16.95%
Gave up when Laurie/Loomis/Jamie left 6 5.08%
Never was a fan of trick'r treating 0 0%
They're all treats 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
rhett

Worst Halloween Sequel

Okay, now that we're all done reviewing the HELLRAISER franchise, and given the date and all...why not transfer a little bah humbug to the HALLOWEEN franchise. It too has had some stinkers...which one smells the most of death?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Body Boy
HackMaster

If I count the Zombie films, I'd say RZ's H2. Although it's more stylish than H1.

If I'm doing the original series, I'd have to say Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers. Felt like a fan fic comic. Which, btw, is not a good thing. Cult of Myers? Nyet!
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
ronnie21
HackMaster

I think jamie lee jumped the shark by appearing in part 8 or whatever that was. it's like she really needed to get back out there and her fame was faded. or needed to pay the water bill that month.. It was ok to see her back in H20 but to do the next one really wore out her welcome. even though shes only in the beginning...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

I was never a fan of the Zombie take on the franchise - he threw the essence of Carpenter's work out the window by explaining Michael's evil and placing him in a ghetto rather than a comfortable suburbia.

But... The single worst Halloween for me is Resurrection. It doesn't even feel like a Halloween movie. The reality tv fad feels akward and ill-suited for Carpenter's timeless horror villain, and with the death of the last Myers apart from Michael himself, the victim pool is totally irrelevant. And Busta Rhymes is truly jarring, overplaying and underacting a part which can't possibly compensate for the absense of Dr. Loomis.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

this is kind of hard. there are a few worthy contenders, and all for different reasons. 4 and 5 aren't my favorite films, but I do enjoy them, and the man in black mystery in part 5 is fairly compelling - but all that is ruined by The Curse of Michael Myers. For being the first film to really tank the franchise (after which it just wouldn't recover), this film is deserving. Of course, Ressurection is by far the most incompetent film on the list. It's so staggeringly, stupidly bad, that chosing it as the worst feels kind of like picking on a kid in a wheelchair - maybe we should be politely applauding Ressurection for being able to string a few coherent sentences together, rather than chastising it for failing to live up to films that are so much better they're practically in a different medium. Zombie's remake is certainly deserving of the title of worst. It's more insulting to the intelligence of the viewer than Ressurection because, as a remake, it's putting itself in direct comparison with the original. Of course, Zombie was somehow able to missunderstand one of the most fundamental reasons for why Michael is so scary in the original, which is that his actions are completely unmotivated and unexplained. The high technical quality of the remake only makes it worse, as it begins to feel like a deliberate betrayal of the original. My memory of the remake's sequel is that it was an unpleasant, masturbatory waste of film. However, having forgotten most of it, I can't quite bring myself to rekindle the exasperation I felt upon seeing it for the first time.

It really is so hard to choose. I think I'll have to go with part 6. Up until then, it was an entertaining series. Curse of Michael Myers ruined that. So for blowing all the potential the ending of part 5 left it with, it gets my pick for worst of the series.

Last edited by dave13; 10-31-2012 at 10:43 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Easily Resurrection - one word, Busta.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Copyboy
Maniac

I voted for Rob Zombie's Halloween, but seriously have no use for 4,5,6, Resurrection or Zombie's 2 and haven't watched H20 in so long I don't know how I'd feel about that one if I were to see it today.
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

For me its really a tossup between Resurrection and the remake. Although, I can usually keep Resurrection on for at least 30 min. I remember I tried watching the remake again not too long ago, and I couldn’t make it passed the breakfast table seen. Its excruciating to watch. Never mind the “white trash” vulgarity;… even the genuine dialog between Mrs. Myers and Loomis or little Michel Myers is just painful to listen to. I don’t think there is a sincere sentence given in the whole movie. McDowell tries, but even with his acting ability, he just doesn’t have the aptitude to polish that turd of a script into something the least bit earnest. It would be like trying to start a fire with a bucket of water.

Its like the whole script was written by a high schooler that was angry at his parents and teachers.

Not only that, I think even the idea of dissecting Michael Myers’ childhood is without a doubt one of the worst ideas in the history of the franchise…its worse than Thorn, worse than H2O ignoring 4 films, and even worse than Dangertainment. I mean Resurrection at least had somewhat of an interesting idea, it just was executed rather poorly.

I also hated Danielle Harris’ character. I cannot believe she agreed to play that role. I thought she had better chops and respectability than to play one of the useless bimbos that are only cast to show her rack (or in Danielle’s case, lack-there-of) and then slaughtered. She means so much more to the franchise than to be brought down to that level. Disappointing to say the least.

Fuck it, now that I think about it, I’m just going with the remake. Other than the somewhat decent soundtrack and a couple pairs of tits, I just can’t think of a single redeeming factor that the remake has going for it. It’s just bottom of the barrel, pointless, meaningless drivel. It’s one of those movies, that I could give two-shits if I ever saw again. Terrible. Fuck you Rob Zombie.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-01-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I feel like Resurrection probably should be the worst, but I went with Curse Of Michael Myers.

Resurrection is easy to follow, while I have no fucking clue what Curse is even about.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Halloween 6, while not the greatest film in the franchise, still maintains that sense of atmosphere fairly well, I thought. It also has some great cinematography going on in it as well. Plus a young Paul Rudd puts on a great performance. He has a great character arc that goes from creepy peeping-Tom to the great all-knowing hero. And Donald Pleasance too…fat Michael Myers creeped me out as a kid.

Halloween 6 has a couple of redeeming factors to it…I think the films get worse as they go on….hell, I’d pick the H2O Scream-clone as the worst before I looked anywhere in Halloween 6’s vicinity.

Last edited by Chomp; 10-31-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
dayglo
Maniac

Had to go with Halloween 5, for me it's just bad from the minute the opening credits end.

dayglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Easily Resurrection - one word, Busta.
agreed but i hate H20 just as much mainly because the awful mask and cgi shot of the mask as well as the scream music and ignoring the 4-6 storyline
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
Chunkblower
Stalker

Curse is pretty bad, but it has its moments. Resurrection, on the other hand, is just embarrassingly awful. Not a single redeeming quality.
Chunkblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
othervoice1
HackMaster

To me it is not even close - Resurrection is just horrible
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #15
JGrendel
HackMaster

I went with the Halloween remake cause I just can't get my head around rednecks in the Suburbs.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote