Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's the worst Halloween film?
Halloween (1978) 1 0.85%
Halloween II 2 1.69%
Halloween III: Season of the Witch 3 2.54%
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 0 0%
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 4 3.39%
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers 13 11.02%
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later 2 1.69%
Halloween: Resurrection 45 38.14%
Rob Zombie's Halloween 20 16.95%
Rob Zombie's Halloween II 20 16.95%
Gave up when Laurie/Loomis/Jamie left 6 5.08%
Never was a fan of trick'r treating 0 0%
They're all treats 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #46
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
That's one of the few things that worked in TCM:TNG. Wasn't out of place at all. Especially considering where the idea for Leatherface came from originally.
Yeah, but he looked rediculous.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #47
It's me, Billy
Maniac

The Zombie films are what killed it for me. Michael with long hair and a beard, wearing a hoodie, walking around half the film without the mask on, and shouting "Die!"
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #48
BBQ
Screamy Bopper

Somebody voted for part 1? I voted for Rob Zombie's H2. I almost voted for Resurrection, because it is awful and pointless, and Michael getting beat up by Busta Rhymes is so horribly, embarrassingly wrong. But I have to give that movie credit for the opening 15 minutes or so with Jamie Lee Curtis, which I thought was tense and very well-done, even if that whole sequence's purpose was just to reverse the ending of the last movie. And at least Michael Myers is still himself in that movie and not a stinky, bearded, no-mask-wearing white-trash hobo.

I almost think there should be separate options for the two versions of H6. I think the Producer's Cut is effective and creepy, but it ruins the story. The theatrical version is just weak. But I think Zombie's movies are the worst, especially H2 because he throws away everything that made the original story work and basically makes another Devil's Rejects movie.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #49
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Like an idiot, I lept into voting for a Sequel without seeing the Zombie films were listed. No question: Rob Zombie's films. He's a great musician, bad director.

However, I voted for Curse. As much as Halloween 4 never did much for me, the characters didn't infuriate me. Curse? Oh... for many years, this movie made me angrier than any other. (Thank you Saw and Trick 'R Treat for softening me on this one.) There's almost no way on Earth Resurrection (which I haven't seen) could possibly be worse. I hear the arguments about how it doesn't feel like a Halloween movie, and I raise you this film's... everything. Thank Christ I haven't seen the Producer's Cut (just Cinemassacre's review of it).
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #50
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Somebody voted for part 1?
My only explaination is that person thought they were voting for the remake.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #51
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I would have said Resurrection years ago, but H2 is an abomination!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #52
spawningblue
Deadite

H2. Zombie's vulgar redneck dialog, his wife and a white horse in it for no god damn reason, possibly the most annoying and obnoxious lead ever, no Halloween theme, Loomis is an out of character prick, and Michael Myers is just being a bearded hobo barely even wearing the mask. I wish the opening
Spoiler:
wasn't just a dream and killed off Laurie
so we could at least follow a character we didn't completely despise.

Resurrection is bad but at least it keeps the theme song and Myers look and feels like a Halloween film.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #53
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
H2. Zombie's vulgar redneck dialog, his wife and a white horse in it for no god damn reason, possibly the most annoying and obnoxious lead ever, no Halloween theme, Loomis is an out of character prick, and Michael Myers is just being a bearded hobo barely even wearing the mask. I wish the opening
Spoiler:

Resurrection is bad but at least it keeps the theme song and Myers look and feels like a Halloween film.
I can agree that Zombie's H2 is pretty terrible, but I couldn't vote for it because I firmly believe it was Zombie's full intention to 'ruin it' so to say... From what I've pieced together, and this could just be my own home-grown conspiracy theory, is that he agreed to direct the sequel even though he'd stated he never wanted to do a sequel after he made the first film (I know I've read these statements somewhere, or seen video of him stating this before H2 was even in the works, I just can't remember where...) and only wanted it as a one-off. And so under studio pressure I'm assuming he was forced to either direct the sequel or they'd get someone else to direct it, and so I speculate he chose to intentionally tank it to end the new franchise from continuing as those were never his intentions from making the first re-imagining. So in my opinion Zombie did a job well done on H2 if those were his intentions, but again those are just my own rumours. On a plus note though, H2's cinematography is absolutely gorgeous.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #54
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
On a plus note though, H2's cinematography is absolutely gorgeous.
there ARE some brief yet strong redeeming qualities in H2. I recall the scene where Brad Dourif discovers Danielle Harris's body being incredibly strong. Great acting, great cinematography, and great score.

Quote:
I wish the opening
Spoiler:
this is the other thing I liked about H2. The opening chase in the hospital and the guard shed is possibly the best Halloween-related material that Rob Zombie has created. Perhaps if he'd released the opening segment as a "short" rather than continuing on with the rest of H2, we'd all be singing his praises right now?

Last edited by dave13; 11-05-2012 at 08:14 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #55
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
there ARE some brief yet strong redeeming qualities in H2. I recall the scene where Brad Dourif discovers Danielle Harris's body being incredibly strong. Great acting, great cinematography, and great score.

this is the other thing I liked about H2. The opening chase in the hospital and the guard shed is possibly the best Halloween-related material that Rob Zombie has created. Perhaps if he'd released the opening segment as a "short" rather than continuing on with the rest of H2, we'd all be singing his praises right now?
I agree, those two scenes are both pretty effective, but a great Halloween film it is not. I am not a Zombie hater and think he is a talented Director (Though horrible horrible writer!) but in my opinion he butchered the Halloween films. The origin ruined everything Myers represents, the lack of the famous score, turing Loomis into a prick, making Laurie an annoying character that you want to die instead of root for, Myers as a hobo, ect. He should have just created his own character and it might have been a little easy to accept what he did to the franchise. I think it might have worked well as a character that switches masks or something.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #56
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
I agree, those two scenes are both pretty effective, but a great Halloween film it is not. I am not a Zombie hater and think he is a talented Director (Though horrible horrible writer!) but in my opinion he butchered the Halloween films. The origin ruined everything Myers represents, the lack of the famous score, turing Loomis into a prick, making Laurie an annoying character that you want to die instead of root for, Myers as a hobo, ect. He should have just created his own character and it might have been a little easy to accept what he did to the franchise. I think it might have worked well as a character that switches masks or something.

But don't you see? The RZ remakes have the most terrible characters ever, and it has a background with this child growing up in a terrible home, yet he is still nonredeemable. Doesn't matter how many shitty people come his way, he's pure evil with no redeeming factors.

Not saying it's a good film at all. But it does have a strong point to make.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #57
Erick H.
HackMaster

I never could get myself to see the Zombie films,so I can't rate them.Of the original batch I LOATHED 5,I saw it in the theater and just cringed through the whole thing.I dislike the sixth film as well but I find it a slightly more intriguing mess that PT. 5.I know Pt. 5 has it's fans though,only speaking for myself.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #58
Fumi
Stalker

Resurrection was the worst one I've seen. The SyFy Channel has made quite a few movies that were better than that. Pretty much everything from 5 onwards was awful though. I haven't seen the Rob Zombie ones and I have no plans to.
Fumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #59
Rft183
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumi View Post
Resurrection was the worst one I've seen. The SyFy Channel has made quite a few movies that were better than that. Pretty much everything from 5 onwards was awful though. I haven't seen the Rob Zombie ones and I have no plans to.
I think you are pretty much spot on. Starting with 5, the series really went downhill. I hate to admit I kind of enjoyed H20 though. I really despised the first Rob Zombie one, but the second was not too bad. It kind of surprised me after the first one sucked so bad!
Rft183 is offline   Reply With Quote