Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I loved the book, but that being said, I read it years ago and don't remember it as much as I want to. I don't remember the zombies being fast moving and as Zillamon said, if you didn't know it was about zombies, you couldn't tell from the trailer. The "waves" of zombies were a big thing in the book, but I did not picture them like that. That looks RIDICULOUS!! Almost comic! Like all of you, I like that there is big money going into a zombie film, but I want a good one, whereas I like this trailer, knowing it is World War Z, it looks like crap!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Mok
HackMaster

Where is the CGI that you guys are belly-aching over? The zombie climbing over each other (the only instance I can imagine CGI would have been used in the trailer)? It looks decent to me.

Do you guys watch Walking Dead? It's rife with CGI, but I like it actually.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I bailed on the show when AMC fired Darabont. I haven't watched it since.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #34
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I bailed on the show when AMC fired Darabont. I haven't watched it since.
Big mistake. It's way better now that he's gone.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
Mok
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Big mistake. It's way better now that he's gone.
This season is amazing so far.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #36
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Buck man, the show is nothing how it once was…it actually has soul; a purpose; an identity. It doesn’t feel like a group of hack actors just going through the motions anymore. The show is easily the best drama on TV. Each episode of this season, almost feels like a season finale to the point where you actually feel exhausted after watching it. And it's mostly character driven, not big explosions or massive amounts of action sequences. Not only that, the intertwining of comic book events with original made-for-TV events is done brilliantly. I recommend you start watching again.

Quote:
The CG in The Walking Dead TV show, while noticeable at times, isn’t laughably noticeable. They use camera tricks, practical effects, and other concealing maneuvers to better hide the fact that CG had to be used for not only timing reasons, but as well as budgetary reasons.

With a budget of $175 million (probably a good portion of the budget going directly towards Pitt) and months of extra shooting, I think it’s fair to expect something a little better looking than what was shown in that trailer.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-12-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #37
Mok
HackMaster

Hmm just watched it again hi-def and it looks great to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #38
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Check your prescription?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #39
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Buck man, the show is nothing how it once was…it actually has soul; a purpose; an identity. It doesn’t feel like a group of hack actors just going through the motions anymore. The show is easily the best drama on TV. Each episode of this season, almost feels like a season finale to the point where you actually feel exhausted after watching it. And it's mostly character driven, not big explosions or massive amounts of action sequences. Not only that, the intertwining of comic book events with original made-for-TV events is done brilliantly. I recommend you start watching again.
Thanks Maybrick and Chomp. Perhaps I will give it another shot.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #40
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Looked a little like the Devil May Cry trailers I've seen. I don't know why adaptations "have" to stick to the source material. I don't mind if they use it as a jumping-off point. You'll always have the book or video game or whatever. Let someone else interpret it as he or she may.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #41
Number Six
I am not a number...

Quote:
Where is the CGI that you guys are belly-aching over?
I'll bite.

There are three distinctly bad CG shots in that trailer:

1:19) When the horde of zombies is climbing over the bus. They look more like a literal wave than a figurative one.

1:55) The zombies coming down the stairs/alleyway. Again, it looks closer to what one would see after a dam had been blown out than a mass of solid beings.

2:10) The zombies climbing over eachother to get over the wall. Arguably, the worst offender.

In all three of these blatantly CGI shots, none of the creatures appear to have a skeleton to speak of. I can't stress enough how much each of the three shots I pointed out look too fluid; like, "zombie-shaped water is chasing people" instead of "recently-deceased people are chasing people." (I hope that makes sense.) I'd say "Maybe it's just me...," but clearly it isn't. Others have stated how bad it looks, so I know I'm not alone in how I feel. I just hope I've clearly articulated the "why".
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #42
Criswell
HackMaster

I literally just read the book last week then 2 days later saw the trailer. Dear Lord it looks horrid and guys....NOTHING like the book. The Zombies are attacking as a semi organised group not a mob. Are they intelligent too? And why the I am Legend style super strength?

In fact the trailer starts out like an Alien Invasion film then becomes an Arnie, Willis hero film. Ugh....

And the Pyramid attack........... Exact replica of the Compound attack in Starship Troopers! In fact they do remind one of attacking ants.

I guess the biggest question is why buy a book and not film it at all??? Just to steal the Title?

Last edited by Criswell; 11-13-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Criswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #43
Mok
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Six View Post
I'll bite.

There are three distinctly bad CG shots in that trailer:

1:19) When the horde of zombies is climbing over the bus. They look more like a literal wave than a figurative one.

1:55) The zombies coming down the stairs/alleyway. Again, it looks closer to what one would see after a dam had been blown out than a mass of solid beings.

2:10) The zombies climbing over eachother to get over the wall. Arguably, the worst offender.

In all three of these blatantly CGI shots, none of the creatures appear to have a skeleton to speak of. I can't stress enough how much each of the three shots I pointed out look too fluid; like, "zombie-shaped water is chasing people" instead of "recently-deceased people are chasing people." (I hope that makes sense.) I'd say "Maybe it's just me...," but clearly it isn't. Others have stated how bad it looks, so I know I'm not alone in how I feel. I just hope I've clearly articulated the "why".
Yeah I get that. But I think it's an obvious artistic choice. Something similar to what you see in the Left 4 Dead video games after you get puked on. It's plays off the unescapable mass like the blob only this is more like a swarm of insects. I guess I find that the zombie thing has been covered extensively enough that I don't mind a different take on it, and I don't think it looks as bad as some peeps are finding it. Also, it's cool to see the city from the beginning getting trashed. Far too often we only get the aftermath shot of a destroyed city.

Just watch it one more time, please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7-T...ayer_embedded#
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #44
spawningblue
Deadite

I'll probably check this out when it hits Blu but I'm definitely not excited to see it in theatres anymore. The CGI zombies look terrible, like a swarm of bugs. Reminds me of the mess that the zombie/ vampires were in I Am Legend where they weren't scary at all because they just looked like video game characters. Why can't modern films just get a great make up effects artist to do up a crap load of extras up and have them be the zombies? It would make them a hell of a lot scarier, and the scenes would be a lot more effective. I Am Legend was originally going to be people in make up, what a shame as they looked much better. The Thing remake, same thing, bad CGI ruined what could have been great effects scenes. And I Agree with what others are saying, if I didn't know this was a movie about a zombie outbreak I never would have guessed.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 11-13-2012 at 10:08 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #45
allmessedup
It's beer time.

I don't like the "swarm of bugs" effect either. It's a shame because I actually liked the first part of the trailer.

I'm not one of these people who cares if something is like the book, but it seems like they're going about this the wrong way.