Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #31
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Blu-ray review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Santa-.../16178/#Review

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #32
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

DVD Beaver review with screenshot comparisons to the old AB UK DVD...which has quite different framing.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #33
Nailwraps
HackMaster

And coloring as well!
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #34
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Was the color reducing intentional for the Blu-ray? I'm not very happy about that.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #35
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Was the color reducing intentional for the Blu-ray? I'm not very happy about that.
I believe the consensus was that the AB DVD's colors were artificially boosted and that the Severin BD is more attuned to the theatrical release of Santa Sangre. However, black levels aren't the greatest often looking somewhat murky. Some have attested that this does not coincide with the theatrical print.

Its kind of a shame, I was hoping we'd be getting a BD of the AB transfer...little did I know it didn't represent Jodorowsky's original intention.

I'm still fairly happy with the BD...the extras are a must for any AJ fan.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #36
zombi3
Pure Evil

Good movie. I may be in the minority, but I thought the blu-ray transfer was pretty awful. I can deal with the grayish blacks and somewhat muted colors, but there appears to be some serious compression issues here. Check out any scene with a dark background and the picture turns into Tetris blocks (for example, at the circus about half an hour into the movie). None of the online reviews I've read seem to bring this up.

I'm not trying to bash Severin. I also have Hardware and Inglorious Bastards from them - both look great IMO and neither have this issue. Just a bit disappointed with Santa Sangre's PQ, especially given the price tag on this release.

Last edited by zombi3; 03-02-2011 at 04:45 AM.
zombi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #37
deepred
Maniac

I thought the colors were too muted and question if this really was Jodorowsky's intent. All of his films are so visual and colorful - I can't see this muted palate as being what he intended for a movie involving a circus. I prefer the Anchor Bay colors.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #38
zombi3
Pure Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I thought the colors were too muted and question if this really was Jodorowsky's intent. All of his films are so visual and colorful - I can't see this muted palate as being what he intended for a movie involving a circus. I prefer the Anchor Bay colors.
At least that could be blamed on the source materials, though I would have liked more vivid colors and deeper blacks. But the compression artifacts made this look like a poorly encoded DVD.

Last edited by zombi3; 03-02-2011 at 04:42 PM.
zombi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #39
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Has anyone seen the new UK Mr. Bongo blu? It apparently has the same great detail as the Severin, but with corrected contrast levels, so the colors pop like they should and blacks are actually black instead of milky grey. If this is true, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. The Severin does have a lot of exclusive extras though (like the new feature-length documentary), so that's not going anywhere, either.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote