Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
chancetx
Stalker

I have to agree with what others have said. I enjoyed it quite a bit but I wish it had been better and held up more under scrutiny. It started off really strong but I felt like the final explanation/mythology really undermined the early scary parts of the film. Mr. Boogie was a very creepy image but made no impression as a character at all. Too bad because the way they set him up initially he could have been a nightmare image like Freddy Krueger in the original NOES. Still, it was very well made and I would definitely say it's worth seeing. (Though what was up with the son's hair? Do 12-13 year olds wear their hair as long as that? I thought he was a girl the first time he appeared.)
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #32
The Tall Man
Stalker

Caught this last night. I had not heard of it before, and did not know until reading this thread it was from the makers of insidious. But my thoughts last night were that this movie was a cross between insidious, Amityville Horror and The Shining. It was a spooky movie for sure, and some parts were very well executed with the viewing of the 8mm films. I liked Ethan Hawke in it, it was good to see him in a role like this and whilst some on this thread have criticized his performance in this, I found his role to be very well played. I went in expecting not much, but enjoyed the movie from start to end. Speaking of the end, it wasn't too hard to predict. As for the the Mr Boogie (Slipknot mask lol) character, it was underused in my opinion and didn't explain anything of the origins or meanings of it. Maybe a sequel would delve further into this. Final thoughts are 7/10, not fantastic but certainly entertaining enough for most horror fans to kill 90 minutes without looking for the forward button.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #33
shape22
HackMaster

I finally caught this one. Like Insidious, it did a lot of things right before falling apart in the final third. The first hour is intriguing and admirably restrained. And the super 8 films are authentic and disturbing. I was really enjoying the first hour.

But it all crashes down with the terrible scene where the spirits are running all over the house. Everything after that is stupid and obvious--including the ultimate resolution, which is visible from 100 miles away. There are plenty of clues early on. And I knew where it was headed very early. But after the spirits start to appear ANYONE can guess what's about to happen. I haven't seen many films that telegraph upcoming plot points that blatantly. It shares one more weakness with Insidious too--an overly broad supporting turn. Like the Beavis and Butthead ghost hunters, Deputy So and So seems to have wandered in from a different movie. His quirkiness is obviously intended to provide some levity and small town atmosphere. But there's nothing authentic in the performance or conception of the character.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the similarities to The Poughkeepsie Tapes. They both mine the found footage vein and feature similar looking villains. It's clearly an influence on this film.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #34
Paff

I saw this last night and freakin' loved it. One of the best horror films of the new millennium (although I don't know how well it will hold up on repeat viewings). I do agree that there were some jump scares they went to far too often, but it's made up for with those really freaky Super 8 films. For one thing, I've always had a morbid fascination with hanging, as in the sight of a corpse hanged by the neck really creeps me out. This movie ramped that unease even further, watching that family die as they stopped kicking one by one. Then that lawnmower film, even though you had an idea what would happen, they still made it a shocking reveal.

I'm looking at the previous posts here, and most are from 2012 which I assume meant the theatrical release. A lot of films do work well in a crowded theater, but not this one. I watched this very late at night, by myself (in other words, much like Ethan Hawke's character) and I was getting really creeped out by it. That's something that hasn't happened in years.

If you skipped this one like I did (partly because of the generic title.....seriously, what happened to good titles to horror movies?), check it out. And watch it alone.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I saw this last night and freakin' loved it. One of the best horror films of the new millennium (although I don't know how well it will hold up on repeat viewings). I do agree that there were some jump scares they went to far too often, but it's made up for with those really freaky Super 8 films. For one thing, I've always had a morbid fascination with hanging, as in the sight of a corpse hanged by the neck really creeps me out. This movie ramped that unease even further, watching that family die as they stopped kicking one by one. Then that lawnmower film, even though you had an idea what would happen, they still made it a shocking reveal.

I'm looking at the previous posts here, and most are from 2012 which I assume meant the theatrical release. A lot of films do work well in a crowded theater, but not this one. I watched this very late at night, by myself (in other words, much like Ethan Hawke's character) and I was getting really creeped out by it. That's something that hasn't happened in years.

If you skipped this one like I did (partly because of the generic title.....seriously, what happened to good titles to horror movies?), check it out. And watch it alone.

Although I liked Sinister quite a bit, I suggest if you want to see a film with a similar premise, go with Resolution, it does it far better.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #36
soxfan666
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Although I liked Sinister quite a bit, I suggest if you want to see a film with a similar premise, go with Resolution, it does it far better.
Currently streaming on Netflix.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #37
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Resolution didn't do much for me. I just couldn't buy into the characters. Especially the drug addicted friend. I personaly enjoyed Sinister much more.

Last edited by Ash28M; 02-03-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #38
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
I watched this very late at night, by myself (in other words, much like Ethan Hawke's character) and I was getting really creeped out by it. That's something that hasn't happened in years.
I did the same thing and had a few drinks too. I posted a review about it on the Horror forum a few weeks back. The movie is really good.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #39
Paff

Link?

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #40
dave13
HackMaster

I completely disregarded this when it came out, as I do with about 90% of the current slate of horror films. God help me, but I may actually take a look, after all this positive talk. As long as it's available on Netflix.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #41
spawningblue
Deadite

I didn't like this one that much. It had a great setup, but once it was revealed what was behind it all, I came away very disappointed. Terrible and cheesy design.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #42
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I completely disregarded this when it came out, as I do with about 90% of the current slate of horror films. God help me, but I may actually take a look, after all this positive talk. As long as it's available on Netflix.
You and me both, man, not to mention the incredibly dull title. Hell, I saw it on my program grid (I have most of the major movie channels) and ignored it. But a friend recommended it, it cost nothing more than the space on my DVR, so I went with it and was very pleasantly (and more important, UNpleasantly) surprised

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #43
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I didn't like this one at all. It bored me nearly to tears...and yet, I thought THE CONJURING was terrific. I hated INSIDIOUS as well, so who knows. I doubt I will give this one a second try for at least a few years as there is too much else I could be watching.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 AM   #44
Paff

Well, I too hated Insidious, but I thought The Conjuring was just average. So, as they say, different strokes...

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #45
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Well, I too hated Insidious, but I thought The Conjuring was just average. So, as they say, different strokes...
What did you think of the reveal though? I thought the scene with the
Spoiler:
ghost children
was terribly bad, and it took away all the tension was built up to that point for me. It was really working for me though up to that point, when you weren't sure what exactly was going on, or who was behind it all. The film viewing was definitely effective.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote