Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #76
MarkWarner
Stalker

I really liked it, and I thought it made up for the craptacular Dead Silence and meh Death Sentence. I'm still on the fence about the ending, but I plan on re-watching it again someday soon to see where I fall.
MarkWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #77
spawningblue
Deadite

Finally checked this one out over the weekend, and I have to admit I was slightly disappointed although I did enjoy it. I don't think it lived up to all the hype and box office money it made, and I didn't really find it scary, although I see how some would I guess. Personally I thought Paranormal Activity was a lot scarier, but again, I guess it's all subjective.

For every scare they would ruin it by showing too much.
Spoiler:
The scene with the little boy running the halls and the main Darth Maul villain with hoofed feet being the main culprits. Hell even the opening with the old woman I think showed too much too soon.
I would love to see a present day horror film that doesn't feel the need to always show everything.

I did really like the story though, and don't really feel it deserves all the negativity it's getting regarding it's similarities between Poltergeist and other haunted house flicks, as I thought it did enough of it's own thing to stop it from being a rip off. It's no more a rip off then any other haunted house flick that has come out. I really liked how they took things that have been done before but did them in their own new and interesting ways. The seance scene being a great example as well as the whole idea behind "The Further". I thought the scene
Spoiler:
in there was very well done and quite creepy at parts.

I'd give this a 7 out of 10 and recommend everyone check it out. I didn't love the ending but I would definitely check out the sequel which I'm sure will be forthcoming. Not genre changing but a fun way to waste an hour and a half.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #78
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWarner View Post
I really liked it, and I thought it made up for the craptacular Dead Silence and meh Death Sentence. I'm still on the fence about the ending, but I plan on re-watching it again someday soon to see where I fall.
I liked both Dead Silence and Death Sentence. I think Wan's (sp?) work is really good! Liked that ending a lot!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #79
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
I liked both Dead Silence and Death Sentence. I think Wan's (sp?) work is really good! Liked that ending a lot!!
Yeah I too enjoyed both of those. Seeing what he had to do to shoot the parking lot scene in Death Sentence earned him total respect as a Director in my eyes. If anyone hasn't watched the making of that scene on the DVD I highly recommend it!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #80
Katatonia
Master of Doom

A sequel is apparently in the works for 2013: http://collider.com/james-wan-insidious-sequel/142582/

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #81
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Hope they find a way to include Rose Byrne in the sequel, she's great.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #82
dave13
HackMaster

"Insidiouser"?
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #83
maybrick
HackMaster

I caught up with this last night on Netflix and to be brutally frank I have absolutely no idea how this mess of jump scares and non acting is as popular as it is. I got about 40 minutes into it before I had to shut it off. And it made me realize that Rose Byrne has zero talent or charisma and the only reason that she gets roles is because she's pretty. Even the good movies that she is in like X-men First Class are good despite her presence and not because she has anything to offer. The one good thing I can say about Insidious is that at least it wasn't shot shaky cam/Blair Witch style, but even then it felt like one of those films.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #84
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I caught up with this last night on Netflix and to be brutally frank I have absolutely no idea how this mess of jump scares and non acting is as popular as it is. I got about 40 minutes into it before I had to shut it off. And it made me realize that Rose Byrne has zero talent or charisma and the only reason that she gets roles is because she's pretty. Even the good movies that she is in like X-men First Class are good despite her presence and not because she has anything to offer. The one good thing I can say about Insidious is that at least it wasn't shot shaky cam/Blair Witch style, but even then it felt like one of those films.
Hmm interesting you hated it so much. I watched it again recently and didn't like it as much as the first time. There is a hint of an essence of something as great as The Exorcist. Maybe it was the music or the pacing, but it's there. Aside from that, I kind of have to agree at least that it's a mess. There isn't enough of a solid focus going on. There should have been only one antagonistic force, maybe? Nothing is explained in any way (like who the fuck is the biker guy?) and it's not compelling enough to remain a mystery. When they call in the old lady and she starts doing annoying shit like wearing gas masks and calling limbo, "the further" I kind of signed off.

That being said, I disagree big time on Rose Byrne. I think she's got plenty to offer as well as good looks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRJjPXqxRis
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #85
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Hmm interesting you hated it so much. I watched it again recently and didn't like it as much as the first time. There is a hint of an essence of something as great as The Exorcist. Maybe it was the music or the pacing, but it's there. Aside from that, I kind of have to agree at least that it's a mess. There isn't enough of a solid focus going on. There should have been only one antagonistic force, maybe? Nothing is explained in any way (like who the fuck is the biker guy?) and it's not compelling enough to remain a mystery. When they call in the old lady and she starts doing annoying shit like wearing gas masks and calling limbo, "the further" I kind of signed off.

That being said, I disagree big time on Rose Byrne. I think she's got plenty to offer as well as good looks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRJjPXqxRis
Rose Byrne is awesome and can elevate even mediocre material, lights up the screen.
I'll take her over Nicole Kidman and many others any time.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #86
Vance Vandy
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo108 View Post
I caught this last night, and surprise, surprise, I loved it. I'm not much of a Wan fan. If not for Rose Byrne being in this, I likely would have waited to see it on Blu-ray.

I was very impressed with the level of atmosphere and tension on display. The film is genuinely unsettling. I also thought the idea behind what the haunting actually is was most intriguing, a creative detour from the norm. Everything with Lin Shaye and her crew is gold. They come in midway through and pretty much steal the movie.

One major plot point is predictable and I didn't much care for a bizarre scene with
Spoiler:
the demon in his little workshop,
but Insidious worked for me as a whole. It's a step in the right direction for Wan, and I'm glad I made a trip to the theater for it.
I thought Death Sentence was pretty good. Agree that this is probably the guy's best film though. Certainly isn't Saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
No, it does not feature the MTVesque editing that has plagued modern films. The camera actually lingers on the characters and situations. The editing in the film actually allows suspense to build up, and not cut away. Exact opposite of Wan's other films.
Death Sentence's editing wasn't too bad I thought. Saw was pretty annoying to watch though. Almost forgot to mention I haven't seen Dead Silence. Looks lame, so I passed.
Vance Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #87
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I just read that they are aiming for an August 2013 release and that Rose Byrne will more than likely reprise her role alongside the male lead.
Good news.