Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #91
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Screen comparisons: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...n.php?cID=1283

Definitely not an upscale. A decade old HD master used probably, but no upscale.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #92
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! KENTAI ADMITS RE-ANIMATOR BLU-RAY NOT AN UPSCALE!
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #93
foller
Stalker

The German company Capelight refused the US Masters for their upcoming BD releases and decided to do new transfers for Re-animator, Bride of Re-animator and Society. The first pictures look great. You might not understand the text but the caps speak for themselves. Just brouse through the last pages of the thread:

http://forum.cinefacts.de/223544-cap...auf-bd-14.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	re.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	6269  
foller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #94
X-human
I ate my keys

Our bestest and all time favorite blogger has shared the news with the frame captures as well: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2012/11/re...fantasies.html

So long as they don't crank the DNR up (and if you're working from the negative you shouldn't have to) this sounds promising. I was disappointed in both Re-Animator and Evil Dead 2 so I passed on both of them knowing a much better transfer was possible (and somewhat inevitable).

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?

Last edited by X-human; 11-25-2012 at 12:40 AM.
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #95
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Our bestest and all time favorite blogger has shared the news with the frame captures as well: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2012/11/re...fantasies.html

So long as they don't crank the DNR up (and if you're working from the negative you shouldn't have to) this sounds promising. I was disappointed in both Re-Animator and Evil Dead 2 so I passed on both of them knowing a much better transfer was possible (and somewhat inevitable).
I think I just came. I need to spend money on all three of these now!
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #96
Matt89
HackMaster

Wow those screenshots look incredible.

~Matt
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #97
X-human
I ate my keys

New comparison: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2012/12/re...-opticals.html

Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #98
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Wow! Cannot wait for these! Glad I hadn't picked up the previous Blu-ray release.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #99
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Wow! Cannot wait for these! Glad I hadn't picked up the previous Blu-ray release.
Makes me angry I did pick up the Image disc. I was hearing about this restoration and thought it wouldn't be much better and I didn't want to wait. Next time I wait! Anyone know if the next disc will be region free. or will I have to finally get a RF player?

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #100
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Makes me angry I did pick up the Image disc. I was hearing about this restoration and thought it wouldn't be much better and I didn't want to wait. Next time I wait! Anyone know if the next disc will be region free. or will I have to finally get a RF player?
The two Second Sight releases I have are region free (ROTLD and Basket Case Trilogy). Even though the Basket Case Trilogy is mentioned as Region B in any press/website I've seen, it is actually region free.

So I can only guess that these future releases may be as well, but really it depends on their contracts so err on caution until it is out there.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #101
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
These screenshots definitely look great in terms of definition and color saturation. It looks like a much newer film. But that concerns me. Was that Stuart Gordon's intention?

Re-Animator has always had a slightly dark look--which I assume was a stylistic decision. The fact that this disc is being prepped without input from the creative team could result in a technically superior image that doesn't remotely replicate the intended look of the film. And I don't want a "superior" transfer if incorrect color timing and contrast boosting are part of the equation.

The resolution of Carpenter's Halloween is vastly improved on Blu-ray. But the color timing issues prevent me from enjoying it. I really hope this release of Re-Animator is the improvement we're all hoping for and not another missed opportunity.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #102
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Re-Animator has always had a slightly dark look--which I assume was a stylistic decision. The fact that this disc is being prepped without input from the creative team could result in a technically superior image that doesn't remotely replicate the intended look of the film. And I don't want a "superior" transfer if incorrect color timing and contrast boosting are part of the equation.
The Image Re-animator Blu-ray didn't have Stuart Gordon's input on it either. So that really puts us back to square one doesn't it?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #103
spawningblue
Deadite

Are all the extras on the Basket Case trilogy region free? Or is it mixed bag like the extras on THe Return of the Living Dead bluray? Also, does it include all the extras from Something Weird's release of the first film and Synapse releases of 2 and 3 releases?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #104
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
The Image Re-animator Blu-ray didn't have Stuart Gordon's input on it either. So that really puts us back to square one doesn't it?
To some extent that's true. Gordon hasn't specifically endorsed any of the prior transfers (to my knowledge). But he's certainly been a very active participant in the many supplemental materials that have been assembled over the years. So if the previous (all similar-looking) transfers were way off-base I'm assuming we'd have heard something. The Halloween 25th Anniversary and Blu-ray releases immediately resulted in immediate and LOUD internet outcry over color timing. But I've never heard Gordon or anyone else say that Re-Animator wasn't presented properly on the prior DVD releases.

And let me be clear. I am NOT launching a Kentai-style attack on this restoration effort based on screenshots. What I am saying is that these images look vastly different than they have in the past--which might be a cause for concern.

I'll wait for the reviews before I get my hopes up sky-high.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #105
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
The two Second Sight releases I have are region free (ROTLD and Basket Case Trilogy). Even though the Basket Case Trilogy is mentioned as Region B in any press/website I've seen, it is actually region free.

So I can only guess that these future releases may be as well, but really it depends on their contracts so err on caution until it is out there.
I forgot that ROTLD was from Second Sight, love that disc even though I can't watch the SD extras yet. Just original audio is enough, the full length doc is all gravy!

Interesting point on the color timing though, reverse NOTLD 90 BD?
No dening how nice the screens I've seen look though.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote