Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #2566
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Regarding Just Before Dawn, Bill says over at the Latarnia Forums it will be DVD only:

"Even in regularDef/dvd, its a big upgrade. Worn print vs. interneg."

He also says:

"11min longer print is washed out and white looking. Not Blu quality, not even vhs."

As for a Blu-ray release:

"Not in a hurry on JUST BEFORE DAWN as the respond was pretty much dead on the web. Like get moving on VOICE FROM THE BEYOND. If Fulci doesn't sell, then nothing can sell on code red."

Thanks to DVDNewsFlash for the info.

I can fully understand with this. Still, someone should tell Bill that there's a UK DVD, which has 10 minutes of additional footage (but featuring 6 minutes of cuts) and ask him if the Shriek Show extras and 5.1 remix will be ported over.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #2567
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
"Like get moving on VOICE FROM THE BEYOND. If Fulci doesn't sell, then nothing can sell on code red."
I guess someone should tell "Madman" Bill that the movie in question is one of the most unpopular Fulci around

Quote:
I can fully understand with this. Still, someone should tell Bill that there's a UK DVD, which has 10 minutes of additional footage (but featuring 6 minutes of cuts) and ask him if the Shriek Show extras and 5.1 remix will be ported over.
The UK DVD is not cut. Itīs just a different edit.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #2568
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
"Not in a hurry on JUST BEFORE DAWN as the respond was pretty much dead on the web. "
What the heck?!?
Has he even checked the forums???

"Great" choice picking one of the worst Fulci movies ever over a wanted classic like "Just Before Dawn""...

If he only releases crap like THAT on blu-ray, then he will really fail badly on the format, and quickly give up and give us a "Blu-Rayīs donīt sell" comment, or some shit like that...

Oh well...
Old 11-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #2569
WesReviews
HackMaster

Wasn't it Bill that used to say that titles from Italy weren't worth the trouble because they were so expensive to obtain?

So Bill... why waste money on one of the worst Fulci flicks ever when gems like EYEBALL and BODY COUNT still haven't made it to DVD??

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #2570
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
"Not in a hurry on JUST BEFORE DAWN as the respond was pretty much dead on the web. Like get moving on VOICE FROM THE BEYOND. If Fulci doesn't sell, then nothing can sell on code red."
You know, I sometimes wish Bill didn't pick up these titles... Bill, I am not going to buy Electric Chair on blu just so you can consider if you want to release Just before Dawn on blu. And while I think Zombie is a great horror movie, most of Fulci's work isn't Zombie - you can't pick an obscure movie from a director who directed 50+ titles, less than 20 percent of which are truly popular, and go "oh, if this doesn't sell, there isn't a market". I have bought many titles from Code Red, but it seems to me that the marketing aspect of the operation is extremely poor - not only in creating a buzz around the company's releases, but also in having a healthy two-way communication with its consumer base.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #2571
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
?!? I'd buy Just Before Dawn on Blu-ray in a heartbeat.

But buying one of Fulci's worst movies? I'd pass on it at $20+. Fulci made a lot of truly crappy movies, and Voices was one of them. If Bill's waiting on it to sell amazing numbers, he's gonna be waiting a long time. Even the long OOP DVD can still be found rather inexpensively.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #2572
WesReviews
HackMaster

Bill is first class all the way. And a marketing genius.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #2573
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

This is very frustrating. Just Before Dawn is a true slasher classic. I hesitate to say it will become his biggest-selling title because, according to Bill, he has barely broken even on most of his releases, including so-called top titles, but I believe it to be a major mistake not to release it on Blu. First, people don't want to buy standard-def anymore. DVD is an old format. Why do an HD master if you're not going to do a Blu-ray? Add to that the fact that it's NOT the director's cut and essentially what you've got is just a nicer-looking version of the Shriek Show release, which isn't enough to get a lot of people to upgrade. People want something BETTER, not nicer. I'm not saying any of this to be mean or anything, I just want this release to be done right so that it will have a chance to succceed. A successful release leads to more releases (and, for Bill, more sales, more $$ in his pocket, making all his efforts more worthwhile). Come on Bill, give us a Blu-ray.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #2574
Stige
HackMaster

wonder how many savage streets ( which he passed to scorpion, because no one would buy it) sold?
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #2575
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Some good news afoot as reported by DVDNewsFlash!:

"Here's Michael Felix's conversation on Twitter with Code Red saying the longer cut of JUST BEFORE DAWN will be included."
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #2576
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Wasn't it Bill that used to say that titles from Italy weren't worth the trouble because they were so expensive to obtain?

So Bill... why waste money on one of the worst Fulci flicks ever when gems like EYEBALL and BODY COUNT still haven't made it to DVD??
Body Count is available on DVD from Italy in a great widescreen uncut print.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #2577
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
First, people don't want to buy standard-def anymore. DVD is an old format.
Speak for yourself and rephrase it to: "I don't want to buy standard-def anymore."

As much as I like the HD format, DVDs are still great and useful to me.
I buy as many DVDs as Blu-Rays, and believe me, I buy it a lot.

And donīt forget that blu-ray in its current age still havenīt reach close to 50% of the global households.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #2578
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Yes, Demoni, I meant to say "I", sorry about that. I shouldn't make blanket statements like that :-). It's just that releasing something on DVD only just feels like an elitist thing to do, almost like he's refusing to change with the times. Kind of like releasing something exclusively on VHS when DVD had been around for 5 years.

Last edited by elDomenechHDG; 11-28-2012 at 08:48 PM.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #2579
crikan
HackMaster

I certainly don't mind buying DVD. HD transfers look quite nice on DVD. And in many cases I'd rather save a few $$.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #2580
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
This is very frustrating. Just Before Dawn is a true slasher classic. [...] I believe it to be a major mistake not to release it on Blu. [...] DVD is an old format. Why do an HD master if you're not going to do a Blu-ray?
I agree with this. If something is avaliable on DVD only, then I will buy the DVD, but I am no longer in the market for upgrading from DVD to DVD - give me a blu-ray or I will take my money elsewhere. Just sayin'!
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote