Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #2581
startide
Stalker
 
startide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamilton High
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
He can always get them via the_exterminator at Amazon marketplace, sure the cost is higher for us Canadians but it's a way to get the title without dealing directly with Code Red.
The_exterminator doesn't ship internationally. Besides which, I'm almost certain they are one and the same.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #2582
Jimmy S
Stalker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
It's just that releasing something on DVD only just feels like an elitist thing to do, almost like he's refusing to change with the times. Kind of like releasing something exclusively on VHS when DVD had been around for 5 years.
Are you sure you don't get that one in the wrong order Luis? DVDs always own the large majority of the sales market, blu-ray is always a niche market.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #2583
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,060
Yeah I have too many Blu releases I need to buy, not worth buying DVDs unless they are $10 or under, more so in the $5 range. If he doesn't release Just Before Dawn on Blu now I'm sure someone will down the road, so I can wait. I'm definitely not upgrading a DVD to another DVD. Almost did that with Final Exam and House on Sorority Row, and am now glad I held off as they will be most likely hitting Blu some time next year.

DVD is pretty much a dead market for cult titles. DVDs still sell at places like Walmart or Best Buy if they are a new big budget title (And even they are selling more on Blu then DVD) or in the $5 bin. The people buying cult horror titles for $20+ though want them on Blu.

Head over to Bluray.com, one of the bigger sites dedicated to movies on disc and many of them won't buy DVDs, it becomes a series of jokes to even mention DVDs on that site. I am not that bad as like I said I still buy DVDs, but they have to be at a discount price. Check out the Scream forum, there were many cries when it was announced some of Screams future titles may only hit DVD, many saying they won't purchase them if so.

Bill may be able to survive selling overpriced DVDs on his site, but he won't make the money he could by releasing the big titles on Blu. I see Nail Gun Masacre selling a decent amount on Blu, but I have no clue what he was thinking with The Electric Chair. He should release every title on Blu IMO, but if he's going to be picky he made a big mistake starting with that title and basing sales on ow well that sells.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #2584
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Are you sure you don't get that one in the wrong order Luis? DVDs always own the large majority of the sales market, blu-ray is always a niche market.
DVDs own most of the market because they are everywhere for $5. People spending $20+ on a movie though are buying Blurays. If you look at big new releases the Bluray usually sells more the the DVD. Check out the sales of The Avengers or the upcoming Dark Knight Rises. I can guarantee Scream has been selling more Blurays then DVDs as well with their releases.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #2585
Jimmy S
Stalker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 170
You are probably right, but I don't buy new movies and I do almost all my purchases online. I have no problem paying 20$ or more for a DVD or a blu-ray and garbage bins titles aren't my cup of tea.

I'm not so sure that Shout! Factory sell more blu-ray than DVDs when the two format are releases. It wasn't the case for the Corman's Collection and this isn't the consumers majority who is equiped for the blu-ray format. Also it's evident the people on blu-ray.com purchase almost exclusively their titles on this format, but the fact remains that it is a niche market.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #2586
crikan
HackMaster
 
crikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Also it's evident the people on blu-ray.com purchase almost exclusively their titles on this format, but the fact remains that it is a niche market.

Near %30 of market share is not "niche". In weeks with new releases of uber-popular catalog titles, like Star Wars, it's market share has been as high as %44. Blu-ray is a viable and significant format.

You also assume to much about blu-ray.com users. I visit the site many times a week and really appreciate the blu-ray format. That said, I still buy more DVDs then Blu-ray. In fact, before Black Friday I had purchased more VHS than Blu-ray this year.

So far my 2012 purcahses are :

Blu-ray: 44
DVD: 135
VHS: 35

Last edited by crikan; 11-29-2012 at 08:36 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #2587
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster
 
elDomenechHDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,133
I want Code Red to survive. If Bill can't afford to release Blu-rays of all of his films, that's just something we'll have to live with. He won't survive and will have to close up shop if he ventures into Blu-ray and the titles he chooses end up flopping, so I'll take a DVD over a Bluray if it means he will keep acquiring and releasing the kind of movies everybody else turns down. Actually, it's not a big deal if most of his movies are on DVD only. The reality is, DVD penetration remains widespread. Most households have at least one DVD player so it makes sense to think that it's safer to release something on a format that is everywhere as opposed to a format with a smaller piece of the pie like Bluray. But, most people agree that something like ELECTRIC CHAIR is so obscure that a Bluray of the film won't stand a chance of selling any more than a handful of copies and it's something that, as a test, will fail. Which means that Bill will be disappointed and won't consider releasing future titles on high-def. Just Before Dawn, OTOH, will look spectacular on Bluray and will likely outsell many of his bigger-selling titles to date. If, and this is a big if, JBD fails to sell well, then it's time to acknowledge the harsh reality that cult movies are a very small market and it's best to just do limited runs on DVD.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #2588
startide
Stalker
 
startide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamilton High
Posts: 399
When will Bill realise that we don't just buy movies simply because they're Code Red releases? We buy movies because we want to see them again or because they sound interesting to us. That kind of thinking is just asking for failure!!!! I have never heard of Electric Chair, so the thinking that I'm going to buy it just because Bill says so is just mindless stupidity. I don't particularly like Just Before Dawn, but if the price is right and all things are equal, it's certainly a title I would at least consider.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #2589
Kim Bruun
HackMaster
 
Kim Bruun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
I want Code Red to survive.
Code Red will survive only if it has a viable business plan. That said, Code Red's survival only makes a difference to me if he produces the sort of product that I want to buy. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into the sort of special features Bill has produced, but those are secondary. I can only speak for myself, but that primary concern is always the feature itself - special features are very nice, but first of all, I want to enjoy the movie looking and sounding as good as it possibly can, in the best possible format. And if Bill can't give something like Just Before Dawn that, then I would have prefered that he hadn't aquired it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
When will Bill realise that we don't just buy movies simply because they're Code Red releases? We buy movies because we want to see them again or because they sound interesting to us.
You hit the nail on the head here.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #2590
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,060
But wouldn't most of the people buying cult titles have a Bluray player and probably prefer to have the titles on Blu? I agree the average family with young kids probably hasn't upgraded to Bluray and still buys their DVDs at Walmart, but you would think most fans of cinema and cult titles has upgraded to Blu now. Considering players can be found under $50 now there's not really any excuse. And personally if I could choose between a DVD for $20 or a Blu for $25 I'd definitely go with the better picture, audio, and longevity of the disc for the extra $5 it's a no brainer.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #2591
Jimmy S
Stalker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
But wouldn't most of the people buying cult titles have a Bluray player and probably prefer to have the titles on Blu?
I have no doubt that it is the case, but we also (at least I do) continue to buy on DVD when it's the only choice. I mean just this month I've purchased two titles on DVD-R (Gator Bait 2 and The Devil's Sisters) because it's the only way to get them. I don't think I'm an exception as some cult movies fans always purchase on VHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Considering players can be found under $50 now there's not really any excuse.
it isn't the reader who is costly but the TV system to enjoy fully the format... By exemple I have the reader (a region free one) and a large TV but not HD. My budget just prevent me to purchase a new TV as my old one work well and I don't want to move it (the TV is very heavy).

Last edited by Jimmy S; 11-30-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #2592
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
I have no doubt that it is the case, but we also (at least I do) continue to buy on DVD when it's the only choice. I mean just this month I've purchased two titles on DVD-R (Gator Bait 2 and The Devil's Sisters) because it's the only way to get them. I don't think I'm an exception as some cult movies fans always purchase on VHS.
I still buy DVDs as well, I just don't like spending $20 on them when a feature laden Scream Bluray can be found for the same price. Plus add shipping charges as Code Red only sells their titles exclusivity which is more to ship to Canada and their releases end up being pretty expensive DVDs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
it isn't the reader who is costly but the TV system to enjoy fully the format... By exemple I have the reader (a region free one) and a large TV but not HD. My budget just prevent me to purchase a new TV as my old one work well and I don't want to move it (the TV is very heavy).
I agree, TVs can be expensive though they are getting a little more affordable, but even if you don't have the better TV yet it just makes sense to buy Blu now anyways so whenever you do get around to upgrading you can fully take advantage of the better picture and audio quality and won't have to replace your collection. Usually they aren't much of a difference in price, unless we are talking big company catalog titles and they usually have extra features not found on the DVD, plus you get the scratch resistant discs. I had a player and many Blu discs long before I had an HD TV. I didn't notice much of a difference but when I did finally get around to a 1080p TV it sure was nice to already have a decent collection.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2593
crikan
HackMaster
 
crikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
I mean just this month I've purchased two titles on DVD-R (Gator Bait 2 and The Devil's Sisters) because it's the only way to get them. I don't think I'm an exception as some cult movies fans always purchase on VHS.
I sure hope you own the VHS tapes to go along with those DVD-R's Jimmy. I'd hate to think that you "became a criminal and betrayed your moral values".
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #2594
Jimmy S
Stalker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 170
Before playing the funny guy try to think a little it isn't that hard. The Devil's Sisters is an official release and 'Gator Bait is too.

I sure don't see your point here Jason, but if you want to waste your time searching fight just do it personally I'm not interested.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #2595
crikan
HackMaster
 
crikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Before playing the funny guy try to think a little it isn't that hard. The Devil's Sisters is an official release and 'Gator Bait is too.

I sure don't see your point here Jason, but if you want to waste your time searching fight just do it personally I'm not interested.
touche. That Gator Bait 2 release might be on Amazon but it sure looks like a bootleg. Last I had heard it was not Public Domain. I suppose I could have read wrong.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com