Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Thanks! Pre-ordered both NOTD2 and Monster Squad. The lions hate version was amazing but the artwork was SO bad! who were they trying to appeal to? I'd rather have the film looking gorgeous and the art complimenting it.
Buechlers_beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I do like the new Monster Squad artwork, fits the film nicely. Keep an eye out fro the old BD though. While I haven't seen one in a normal store forever, I picked one up at a pawn shop in August for $6. Thought I'd never have that chance again knowing the disc went OOP. Then I saw a copy at another pawn shop. Torn between ebaying or leaving it, I left it as the cover had creases. Plus that pawn shop was $10 for blu's. That would suck if all those extras are left behind, but great news on NOTD2!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Another blu surprise from Olive Films -- it's Brian Trenchard-Smith's NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 (1994)! Six years after the demonically-possessed Angela splattered her Halloween party guests at the abandoned Hull House, her orphan sister and Catholic school cohorts decide to party down at the same damn spot. Naturally, Angela's revived, and performs a table dance scored by Morbid Angel. Seriously. Then there's a kung fu nun with a deadly ruler, basketball played with a severed head, and some gory meltdown FX courtesy of Steve Johnson and crew. An admittedly silly film, it's surprisingly a bit of fun; I haven't watched it in over 15 years and I still remember being traumatized by a scene involving The Brady Bunch girl's boobs. That's gotta mean something, right?

Besides the new HD transfer (the old Lionsgate DVD was pulled from a VHS-era tape master), Olive's new disc reportedly has a commentary with director Trenchard-Smith and cinematographer David Lewis.

Preorder:
DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20
Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

Boring VHS trailer: http://youtu.be/CtUlWjJoK20
Gory, spoiler-filled German trailer: http://youtu.be/32kEoP54gwM

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I hope these come down in price. Mostly interested in Night of the Demons 2 but not for 20 something dollars.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
tropical marsh
Stalker

The Monster Squad release is pretty useless (like Cujo) for those of us that already got the blu-rays, but I guess it's cool that it's in print again. I wish I could get more gung ho about Olive's releases--but the fact that they don't include ENG subtitles is a real fuckin' bummer. On top of that, their shit is ridiculously overpriced. How is that Mill Creek can sell their blu-rays for like $5 (and include subtitles), but Olive charges $20+ (and omit subtitles)??? WTF??!?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

At least they're not charging $30 like Twilight Time!
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I hope these come down in price. Mostly interested in Night of the Demons 2 but not for 20 something dollars.

This has probably been mentioned more than once before but it's worth mentioning again: you can save a lot of money by purchasing Olive Blu-rays from Importcds.com. You're in Australia so shipping will probably add considerably to the final cost but you can find most Olive Blu's for less than $15 on there. Better yet, If you order from them through the Amazon marketplace you might get it faster. Just a heads up.

Last edited by elDomenechHDG; 12-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

Are they carrying over all of the extras that were on the Lionsgate Blu of Monster Squad?

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
Suicide
Space Bastard!

Yeah, ImportCDs has Demons for $14 and Monster Squad for $12 (Ticks is 14 also), I'll probably get them there. Are they like Amazon where the price will go up and down 50 times before release date, do I need to order them now to lock in the price?

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #26
Suicide
Space Bastard!

Wait, looks like I can't order them yet anyway. I hope those prices stick around that area.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #27
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shithead View Post
Are they carrying over all of the extras that were on the Lionsgate Blu of Monster Squad?
Unfortunately, I don't think so.

And I don't know why Olive does that wheather it's rights with the companies that make the extras for the Republic titles once belonging to Lionsgate/Artisan or what?

Speaking of Monster Squad, why was the documentary edited for the Blu-ray release?
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #28
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Speaking of Monster Squad, why was the documentary edited for the Blu-ray release?
What do you mean edited? It was actually extended longer on the Blu-ray than the doc on the previous DVD release.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #29
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
What do you mean edited? It was actually extended longer on the Blu-ray than the doc on the previous DVD release.
I only have the DVD, but I've heard that the "Monster Squad Forever" featurette on the blu-ray is about 10 minutes shorter than the one on the DVD.

DVD = 87 minutes
Blu-ray = 76 minutes
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #30
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I only have the DVD, but I've heard that the "Monster Squad Forever" featurette on the blu-ray is about 10 minutes shorter than the one on the DVD.

DVD = 87 minutes
Blu-ray = 76 minutes
Yeah Michael Felsher was under a huge time constraint with the DVD and had to rush a bit to get the featurette done. So when he delivered materials for the Blu Ray, he edited out a bit of the "fluff" from the documentary.