Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #61
ReelFear
Maniac

A nice surprise!
One of the best straight ahead slasher films in a while!
The gore was fantastic and over the top! bravo!
SILENT NIGHT came out of nowhere and delivered the goods. even the overall look of the movie had an 80's feel. I would recommend to all this X-mas season!
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #62
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I can't say the film is straight out shit but I'm not able to shower it with praise either. There are way too many dumb characters and how people can over look the over acting in this movie is beyond me.
I felt like Silent Night was trying to be partly a comedy but was treading the line way too finely. Malcolm Mcdowell had a few funny lines I enjoyed but was a paper thin character here. Even the gore wasn't up to scratch, most notably with the electrocuted corpse and and a victim to the flame thrower near the end.

I'd watch the film again as it had it's good moments but at the moment I remain confused by the praise it's getting.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #63
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Honestly I'm getting confused by the negative reaction it's getting as of late. A perfectly fun slasher film. Dumb? yeah but so what?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #64
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
Honestly I'm getting confused by the negative reaction it's getting as of late. A perfectly fun slasher film. Dumb? yeah but so what?
Agreed. I quite enjoyed it, and also don't understand all the negativity towards the film.

Sure it's dumb, but so are a lot of horror films. That doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #65
Steel76
Maniac

Yeah, I donīt understand it either.

The slashers back in the 80:s was also filled with stupid characters and over-acting. This is a true old-school 80:s slasher in many ways.

I donīt know what some people expected from this. A masterpiece?

Just turn of the brain and enjoy the ride
Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #66
shape22
HackMaster

I didn't care for this at all. Rob Zombie fans will probably like it more than I did. It has the same type of grungy vibe, fixation with white trash, and mostly unlikable characters. I'm also surprised at all the praise for the gore. Most of it appears to be CGI. The killer is pretty cool. But that's not enough to save this.

And aside from the killer and a few decent death scenes there's nothing to enjoy. The bulk of the performances are terrible. And I agree with the criticisms of McDowell. He's awful. Cringe-worthy dialogue is everywhere too. It's not a fun bad movie like the original. It's a dull, uninspired bad movie. Mean-spiritedness is a piss-poor substitute for the cheesy 80s slasher vibe that makes the original so enjoyable.

The handling of the "grandpa" scene is indicative of how ineffective the remake is in general. The campiness and bad taste of him terrorizing a toddler in the original makes it a hilariously memorable scene. But having grandpa deliver a similar monologue to a generic twenty-something strips away the dynamic that made it work so well the first time.

I'll take crap like Santa's Slay over this any day of the week. The opening 5 minutes of that provide a lot more value than the entire running time of Silent Night.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #67
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

My problem wasn't that it was dumb, it was just plain boring. I think I said this previously, but you never really feel like any of the lead characters are in any danger. All of the victims are introduced just seconds before they are killed, so there's really no reason to root for them or even care if they live or die.

Also, the scenes they re-did from the original were lame. Shape22 is absolutely correct about the grandpa scene. It doesn't work here. Also, in true remake fashion, the girl had a top on during the antler impalement. I hate when remakes water down the original. If they are going to tackle such a memorable gag, they should try to raise the bar instead of lower it.

I'll agree with Shape22 again and say that even though Santa's Slay is far from a masterpiece, it's a heck of a lot more fun than Silent Night.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #68
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The movie is the furthest thing from boring but whatever. You didn't enjoy but I enjoyed the hell out of it. When the project was announced I honestly didn't give two shits about it but I'm glad I gave it a chance.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #69
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I have to agree with Shape22 and CPT HOOK. I even enjoy terrible old school movies so my dislike for this isn't because I expected a masterpiece.
The scene with the priest talking to the main character in the church is probably where the film lost me. The over acting of the character was so terrible that from that point on it was obvious that anyone acting "naughty" was going to die. So there's the suspense gone. Every other naughty character was over the top too so it wasn't a surprise as to who was going to die.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #70
brutallarry
Screamy Bopper

i havent seen the remake yet? i will give it a chance but im not expecting it to be better than the original.
brutallarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #71
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I have to agree with Shape22 and CPT HOOK. I even enjoy terrible old school movies so my dislike for this isn't because I expected a masterpiece.
The scene with the priest talking to the main character in the church is probably where the film lost me. The over acting of the character was so terrible that from that point on it was obvious that anyone acting "naughty" was going to die. So there's the suspense gone. Every other naughty character was over the top too so it wasn't a surprise as to who was going to die.
I'll just stick to the original thank you, thank you very much.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #72
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I'll just stick to the original thank you, thank you very much.
I still have to see that one sadly, though I have seen the gloriously over the top sequel.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #73
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
I still have to see that one sadly, though I have seen the gloriously over the top sequel.
Now's the perfect time to check it out. It's fun in all the ways the remake isn't. So much poor taste is displayed in the first half hour it would be hard to sum it all up.

Needless to say, that's one of the things I love most about it.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #74
SpaceAce
Stalker

I am kind if in the middle ground here. I thought it was fun enough at times (great woodchipper scene, a few nice/creepy scares) but did get a tad boring at times. The santa was creepy and it definately had some cool moments but overall I felt a little let down. I prefer the original. I thought it was simply average, not terrible but not great either.
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #75
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
I would imagine it's easily obtainable in your country isn't it? Other then 2 people why is hardly no Australians on this forum? Is the horror genre even popular in your country?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote