Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #76
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Now's the perfect time to check it out. It's fun in all the ways the remake isn't. So much poor taste is displayed in the first half hour it would be hard to sum it all up.

Needless to say, that's one of the things I love most about it.
I plan to watch it soon I also have to fit in Black Christmas as I haven't seen that yet either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I would imagine it's easily obtainable in your country isn't it? Other then 2 people why is hardly no Australians on this forum? Is the horror genre even popular in your country?
I think it's been re-released here but it's not that common to find in stores. Horror's slowly becoming more common in Aus now. This year there was stuff out for Halloween which is something we've previously ignored.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #77
The Tall Man
Stalker

Zombie Dude, you have never seen SNDN or Black Christmas ? WTF ? Dude, as a fellow Aussie I have lived on Amazon for many years, and I'm sure you have imported stuff too. I can't believe you have not seen these !

I was 17 at the time in 1984 and remember lying about my age to see Silent Night Deadly Night at the cinema. Loved it then, still love it now. Although upon reflection I'm pretty sure it was censored version we were given. But it is still a nice memory to have of that in the cinema. We even had a few christians, sorry, MORONS picketing the cinema's here too at the time in little old Adelaide South Australia.

They are classics, and you must see them.

Dobby, I really don't know how popular the horror genre is here down under. But when I sell stuff on ebay I don't get much response unlike what I see on the american ebay. So yeah, it is kinda lame here.

I have tried to sell some stuff here on ebay, but they have refused it and threatened to end my account. I have imported tons of stuff over the years, customs have never seized any of it. I tried to sell sealed DVD's of Nekromantik 1 and 2, the barrel release but couldn't as they are still illegal here. Actually, I might put them up here ! No one will know about that except the good people here
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #78
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
Zombie Dude, you have never seen SNDN or Black Christmas ? WTF ? Dude, as a fellow Aussie I have lived on Amazon for many years, and I'm sure you have imported stuff too. I can't believe you have not seen these !

I was 17 at the time in 1984 and remember lying about my age to see Silent Night Deadly Night at the cinema. Loved it then, still love it now. Although upon reflection I'm pretty sure it was censored version we were given. But it is still a nice memory to have of that in the cinema. We even had a few christians, sorry, MORONS picketing the cinema's here too at the time in little old Adelaide South Australia.

Dobby, I really don't know how popular the horror genre is here down under. But when I sell stuff on ebay I don't get much response unlike what I see on the american ebay. So yeah, it is kinda lame here.

I have tried to sell some stuff here on ebay, but they have refused it and threatened to end my account. I have imported tons of stuff over the years, customs have never seized any of it. I tried to sell sealed DVD's of Nekromantik 1 and 2, the barrel release but couldn't as they are still illegal here. Actually, I might put them up here ! No one will know about that except the good people here
Let me know about the Nekromantic films. I may be interested.

As for SNDN and BC, I'm not sure why I haven't seen them yet. I've always had them on the "need to watch" list but just keep pushing them aside for other films. I'm planing to watch them this year for the Christmas season. Maybe even SNDN 3, 4&5.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #79
The Tall Man
Stalker

I just tried to send you a PM Zombie Dude but not sure if it worked ?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #80
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
I just tried to send you a PM Zombie Dude but not sure if it worked ?
It worked
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #81
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:

Well i'd cut zombiedude some slack we be the youngest folks on here. I don't believe either of us existed in 1984 at least not yet. Speaking of eBay Startide says the complete opposite of what you say. However she is usually referring to VHS tapes selling for over $100.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #82
The Tall Man
Stalker

Never tried selling a VHS tape on eBay. I sold all of mine years ago to a private collector I met at a garage sale. And to be honest, I don't look for them so I have no idea what they go for. I just know from my own experience when I have sold stuff on eBay that people on this forum would collect, I am lucky to get more than a few bids. It also depends on the time of year as well, and luck also comes into if you just happen to have a few people looking for what you are selling.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #83
baggio
HackMaster

Seen it, really enjoyed it, entertaining as hell. I hope there will be more to keep the series going.

Last edited by baggio; 12-17-2012 at 04:27 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #84
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Seen it, really enjoyed it, entertaining as hell. I hope there will be more to keep the series going.
yeah, i'd watch a sequel.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #85
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched this over the weekend. I thought it was mediocre at best. Really nothing new or original at all. The killer wasn’t interesting nor was the M.O. as to why he started killing. The kills were nothing spectacular…wood chipper scene was alright, but probably would have benefited if there was a hotter chick going in. I do praise the film makers for using practical effects. I didn’t notice any use of CG, so if it was in fact used, it was used sparingly and to the advantage of the effect at hand.

The antler kill was a complete failure. The blonde chick was probably the hottest/skankiest chick in the movie and she goes on the antlers with a top on? What the hell is that shit? That brought absolute shame to Linnea’s infamous death scene in the original.

The acting was what you’d expect…I didn’t find Malcolm McDowell’s character to be that bad. Jamie King plays the same fucking character she did three times before. The rest of the characters I could care less about. I thought the best character in the whole movie was Santa Jim. Donal Logue was absolutely brilliant. He brought that real vicious, ugly, ill-humored, cranky, and downright mean-spirited nature of the original through his character alone. He was the only one that really captured that essence.

The best part of the movie was the Garbage Day reference. I chuckled pretty good on that one.

All-in-all, an alright way to kill an hour and a half I guess, but not really deserving of any of the accolades its seems to be receiving.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #86
Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
The handling of the "grandpa" scene is indicative of how ineffective the remake is in general. The campiness and bad taste of him terrorizing a toddler in the original makes it a hilariously memorable scene. But having grandpa deliver a similar monologue to a generic twenty-something strips away the dynamic that made it work so well the first time.
Totally forgot about this part…another failure on the remake’s part. Probably one of the most important scenes in the original feels like a throwaway scene here in the remake. The pure terror on that little kids face is the embodiment of the original. All of that thrown out the window and replaced with some 2min scene with some douche bag teen that felt awkwardly out of place.

Why bother “re-doing” these important scenes from the original and completely half ass it? Don’t do them at all then.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #87
SpaceAce
Stalker

Where was the "garbage day" reference? I remember it from SNDN part 2 but I must have spaced it in the remake.
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #88
Chomp

I can't remember who tells him, I think Malcolm McDowell's character tells that pussy cop to take out the trash and in the next scene he's carrying black garbage bags and he says something to the effect of "Pfft...Garbage Day" under his breath.

I chuckled.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #89
spawningblue
Deadite

I agree with others who have stated Santa's Slay is a much better and fun film.

The one thing that really bugged me about this film that I forgot to mention, where the fack was all the snow!? It did a great job with decorations but never felt like a winter/ Christmas movie due to the lack of snow. There was literally non, other then in the flashback scene. I think it would have added a lot to the atmosphere. Such a strange loss as I don't think it would have been that costly to add snow seeing as how many smaller budgeted films include it.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote