Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
Ash28M
HackMaster

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)

Wow talk about an uncompromising film. It's like this director didn't give a fuck if he made a cent on this. During the first half hour I wasn't sure how much I was liking it but by the half way point I was mesmerized. Great tone and very creepy. I can really only compare it to a Kubrick/Cronenberg -esk early seventies experimental sci-fi horror. This director has got talent and I can't wait to see what he does next. It's definitely not for everyone though as i'm sure half of you will hate it.

Last edited by Ash28M; 12-22-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Just watched this the other day. Beyond the Black Rainbow is a film that will divide many viewers very quickly. It's very minimal, very avant-garde, drawing influences heavily from Kubrick, Lucas' THX-1183, and heady sci-fi. Light on dialogue and plot details will also leave a lot of viewers lost and confused. While the film's strong point is it's visual nature, expertly crafted by cinematographer Norm Li and director Panos Cosmatos, providing a truly original, frightening, and expansive atmosphere on a very small budget with unique set design and practical effects, it falls apart because it's too concerned with it's own minimalist nature that it forgets to provide the viewer with anything but visual stimuli. Beyond the Black Rainbow especially falls apart in it's last act when it breaks away from it's minimal narrative and decides to end the film a little to conventional, yet without any real answers. I think it's a film best summed up by a quote at the very end of the credits (which doesn't ruin the film), a quote taken from the fictional cult film Buckaroo Banzai, "No matter where you go, there you are." No matter where we are in the film, there we are, confused and left with nothing but insanely unique visuals that feels like a 2-hour music video. Worth watching visually, but not really for anything profound or even heady, it's just trying way too hard.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

I really enjoyed this one too. It's a complete mindfuck that doesn't make a whole lot of sense most of the time, but they really nailed the 70's vibe.

I've only seen it once though, so perhaps elements of the plot make more sense on repeat viewings. I'd definitely watch it again.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
LazerBeast
Screamy Bopper

I really enjoyed this film and really hope the soundtrack gets a proper release soon.
LazerBeast is offline   Reply With Quote