Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Classic

Old 06-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
dwatts
HackMaster

Lust for a Vampire

ANyone like this one? I watched it again last night - man it's really patchy. Some great stuff, mixed with utter tripe. It's hilarious that they cut Chris Lee's eyes into the opening segment.... really quite pathetic.

I don't know if I absolutely hate this or not. Sometimes it's good, other times it just stinks.... confusing film.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
mutleyhyde
Fuck it.

mmm, boobies

It's definitely the weak link in the Karnstein trilogy, and it really plays up the camp moreso than Twins of Evil and Vampire Lovers, (whether intended or not), but I still like it.

M. Hyde
Movies seen; 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
mutleyhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:14 AM   #3
R. I. P.
Stalker

I agree "Lust For A Vampire" pales in comparison to "Vampire Lovers" and "Twins Of Evil", but I still hold this film in very high regard. Yutte Stensgaard is both beautiful and creepy and I feel she gives a most charismatic performance in the role of Mircalla. The only blatant negative regarding this film is the stupid song sung during the main love scene. Otherwise, I give it a passing grade.

Hammer Films does it best when it comes to atmosphere and this underrated flick is no exception. Personally, I highly recommend it.

R. I. P.

R. I. P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 04:31 AM   #4
hell ya!
~Go ahead, make my day~

I was thinking about picking this one up, maybe after i get Vampire Loves and see if i like that one then maybe i'll get this one.

"Devil on the left
An angel on the right
There's no mistake
Who I'll be with tonight"
DANZIG
hell ya! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
dwatts
HackMaster

Trouble is - Vampire Lovers is a FAR better film. Hard to compare the two.

Lust has some brilliant moments, but for every bit of classic Hammer, we get a huge turd thrown in for good measure. The opening scenes (where Mircalla is resurrected) are freaking funny! 70's disco lights in a coffin. Argh..... Buy it, but buy it cheap.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:49 AM   #6
CJ

I have a fondness for this lesser Hammer entry, even though I'll grant that it's not one of their better efforts. It does have a certain charm to it, and it's amusing to see former DJ Mike Raven strutting his stuff in a vain attempt to become a horror star in the mould of Cushing or Lee.

And Yutte Stensgaard is lovely
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Does anyone know who owns the rights to this one right now? I just watched Synapse's incredible Blu-Ray edition of Vampire Circus with the great documentary bonus features and was thinking this title is ripe for some sort of special treatment since both Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil are available on DVD and Blu-Ray respectively.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
maybrick
HackMaster

Studio Canal, presumably. Weren't they the ones who licensed the movie to AB?
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
russweiss
Maniac

This film is a guilty pleasure of mine. Partially because of Yutte Stensgaard. I've got the DVD but would love to see a blu-ray release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lust For a Vampire lobby Italian double photobusta.jpg (436.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Lust For a Vampire Yugoslavia C.jpg (404.8 KB, 10 views)
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Thanks for the info guys.
Wow, what terrific posters. I love Lust For A Vampire as well, I actually thought Ralph Bates was quite effective in it and Yutte Stensgaard personifies the term Hammer glamor.
I'd love a Blu-Ray comparable to Synapse's Vampire Circus, they really delivered an amazing edition!!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Thanks for the info guys.
Wow, what terrific posters. I love Lust For A Vampire as well, I actually thought Ralph Bates was quite effective in it and Yutte Stensgaard personifies the term Hammer glamor.
I'd love a Blu-Ray comparable to Synapse's Vampire Circus, they really delivered an amazing edition!!
I believe Ralph Bates stated that this was the worst film he'd ever been associated with. Lol. I actually love this trilogy. I was excited when I saw this thread thinking it was to be released on blu-ray.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I believe Ralph Bates stated that this was the worst film he'd ever been associated with. Lol. I actually love this trilogy. I was excited when I saw this thread thinking it was to be released on blu-ray.
I'm not surprised that Ralph Bates has expressed his disdain for this film, it seems to have garnered a reputation as the black sheep of the Karnstein trilogy.
However, I would opine that Horror Of Frankenstein is far worse. Bates was a lamentable replacement for Cushing, and though that film is mildly entertaining much of the humor seems forced and David Prowse's make-up as the Monster is pretty awful.
I found much to like in Lust For A Vampire, all the Hammer hallmarks are there in spades-buxom women, some gore, nudity, also I found some of the cinematography quite beautiful. If I have one gripe it's that terrible 'Strange Love' song on the soundtrack, other than that it's an enjoyable entry for late period Hammer horror IMO.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
buck135
The Duke of New York

'Strange Love' is quite possibly the worst song ever recorded. Well, that or 'Driveby' by Train.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
russweiss
Maniac

And for those of you who would like to hear the song go to this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n42Sm-9s_-k
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote