Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #151
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

If this were coming out in Australia I'd give it a watch. It's a shame though that it seems to have missed a lot of good opportunities. I mean, for a modern Texas Chainsaw film I at least expect it to deliver on gore, yet I'm hearing it doesn't.

At least the Evil Dead remake looks spot on in that department. Judging from the new trailer, that film looks like it's going to be one of the goriest modern films out in a while.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #152
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
If this were coming out in Australia I'd give it a watch. It's a shame though that it seems to have missed a lot of good opportunities. I mean, for a modern Texas Chainsaw film I at least expect it to deliver on gore, yet I'm hearing it doesn't.

At least the Evil Dead remake looks spot on in that department. Judging from the new trailer, that film looks like it's going to be one of the goriest modern films out in a while.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Any film can look good in a trailer.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #153
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Any film can look good in a trailer.
Even if the films no good the gore definitely is. I don't think the trailer is fooling me there.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #154
Body Boy
HackMaster

This film was hilariously stupid! But I say that in the best way possible. It's ridiculous, silly and just terribly written. But you can have a LOT of fun with it. I did. I will probably buy it because I enjoyed it so much.

As far as being intelligent, it's sixth place with TNG being obviously last. But fun-wise, I think that I also prefer it to TCM 2, TCM III, and maybe... MAYBE even The Beginning. I bet that this will become a beloved cult trash classic in years to come. The "piecing together the story" scene stretched out for eons was the point where I said "fuck it, this film requires no brain, only amusement". And amusement, indeed it is.

6/10
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #155
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
This film was hilariously stupid! But I say that in the best way possible. It's ridiculous, silly and just terribly written. But you can have a LOT of fun with it. I did. I will probably buy it because I enjoyed it so much.

As far as being intelligent, it's sixth place with TNG being obviously last. But fun-wise, I think that I also prefer it to TCM 2, TCM III, and maybe... MAYBE even The Beginning. I bet that this will become a beloved cult trash classic in years to come. The "piecing together the story" scene stretched out for eons was the point where I said "fuck it, this film requires no brain, only amusement". And amusement, indeed it is.

6/10

I'm with you here buddy. Had a blast with this movie. It was a lot of fun. Definitely the HALLOWEEN 5 of the TCM series. This movie goes in some crazy directions. I loved the absurdity, the sloppiness and the whole unhinged nature of the approach. TC3D just really reminded me of a fun low rent sequel from the good old days before they were part of a polished, calculated studio machine. Up to this film I honestly wasn't much of a fan of the TCM series. Whereas other film series like Elm Street, Friday, Hellraiser and Halloween all really evolved from their first film, TCM was always a series that really just rested on the laurels of the first film and never really brought anything to the series that couldn't be explained by the iconic title. I thought this one had some fun with it and tried something fresh (I guess it is no surprise that it comes from the writer of Jason Goes to Hell, another unpolished, but inventive mess of a movie). Lots of fun scares, even more unintentional laughs, and a batshit finale. Fun all the way through, what a pleasant surprise overall. Don't pay the extra for 3D though, it's hardly used well (although it is kind of cool to see the footage of the original film post-converted into 3D at the start).

Again though, if the phrase "The HALLOWEEN 5 of TCM" means anything to you, you're going to like this movie.
Spoiler:
Do your thing, cuz!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #156
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
besides leatherface and heather every other character was very flat.
Let's just make it clear here...Heather is NOT flat.

inline Image
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #157
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
I'm with you here buddy. Had a blast with this movie. It was a lot of fun. Definitely the HALLOWEEN 5 of the TCM series. This movie goes in some crazy directions. I loved the absurdity, the sloppiness and the whole unhinged nature of the approach. TC3D just really reminded me of a fun low rent sequel from the good old days before they were part of a polished, calculated studio machine. Up to this film I honestly wasn't much of a fan of the TCM series. Whereas other film series like Elm Street, Friday, Hellraiser and Halloween all really evolved from their first film, TCM was always a series that really just rested on the laurels of the first film and never really brought anything to the series that couldn't be explained by the iconic title. I thought this one had some fun with it and tried something fresh (I guess it is no surprise that it comes from the writer of Jason Goes to Hell, another unpolished, but inventive mess of a movie). Lots of fun scares, even more unintentional laughs, and a batshit finale. Fun all the way through, what a pleasant surprise overall. Don't pay the extra for 3D though, it's hardly used well (although it is kind of cool to see the footage of the original film post-converted into 3D at the start).

Again though, if the phrase "The HALLOWEEN 5 of TCM" means anything to you, you're going to like this movie.
Spoiler:
Do your thing, cuz!
I forgot about that line! LOLOLOL! Hilarious.

Aside from Halloween III, Halloween 5 is my favorite of the series. After that would be II and I. But 5 is, despite its sloppiness, so much fun and more lively, colorful & slasher-classic-moment-filled than the drab Part 4. I don't understand the hate for it or Tina. Rachel dying was a wonderful punch to the series that it needed to show that Michael will do anything. Plus Mike, Sam and Spitz all brought great death scenes to the plate. The laundry shoot sequence is still suspenseful today, and I think that for the ballsy out-of-place open ending, it ends leaving you feeling like you watched a dark film though it has its light-hearted flaws.

Halloween 5 <3

I can't relate an Elm Street to Texas Chainsaw 3D, but I can with the Fridays. I think that it's Jason Takes Manhattan. Stupid and not quite logical, but still fun. In my eyes at least.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #158
fceurich39
HackMaster

WOW 10.2 million on friday and predicted to hit 20 million or more by the end of the weekend!!! Hopefully the studios that own the other horror franchises will get kick started again!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #159
Chunkblower
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Don't pay the extra for 3D though, it's hardly used well (although it is kind of cool to see the footage of the original film post-converted into 3D at the start).
It's worth the extra scratch for the carnival scene alone, to say nothing of Heather's chronic inability to do up more than two buttons on her shirt.
Chunkblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #160
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
I can't relate an Elm Street to Texas Chainsaw 3D, but I can with the Fridays. I think that it's Jason Takes Manhattan. Stupid and not quite logical, but still fun. In my eyes at least.
As likely this board's biggest fan of Jason Takes Manhattan, I'd appreciate it if you never compare it to the likes of TC3D.

In this case, that's like saying Citizen Kane and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked were separated at birth.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 01-05-2013 at 06:19 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #161
SpaceAce
Maniac

I am surprised that it has made so much thus far. It seemed like there wasn't much press leading up to it and I only saw a few TV spots (and those were only real recent).
Good to hear a few people liked it on here, restores some faith that it might be decent
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #162
It's me, Billy
Maniac

I was at the 4:10 3D showing Friday and really enjoyed it. Much, much better than those turds, Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990) and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (4): The Next Generation (1994). I LOVED the opening footage of the 1974 original and the new (sequel) footage from 1973 with Bill Moseley. Finally, a Chainsaw film that truly replicates the farmhouse from the 1974 original. It was so cool seeing that set again. That's what TCM Part 2 (1986) should have done, but that film is still cool because of Jim Siedow, Bill Moseley, and Caroline Williams. The only drawbacks were
Spoiler:
the impossible timeline (Heather looking to be late teens to early-mid twenties when she should be late thirties), adding so many additional family members in the Sawyer farmhouse at the beginning (come on, in the 1974 original it seemed pretty obvious the only Sawyers in that house were Drayton, Leatherface, the Hitchiker, and grandpa. Now, there's like 5+ more. Yeah, right.) no nudity (and both ladies are so gorgeous too.) and no "family" members other than Leatherface in the present day. I really felt the absence of a Edwin Neal Hitchiker type character, or a Bill Moseley Chop-Top, or a Jim Siedow Drayton. It just didn't feel as threatening with Leatherface being alone. I was also suprised Leatherface wasn't refered to as "Bubba" even once during the film, or even "Leatherface" for that matter.

Overall though, I really liked it and will definitely be adding it to my Blu-ray and DVD collection along with the 1974 original, 1986's part 2, the 2003 remake, and the 2006 prequel to the remake.

Last edited by It's me, Billy; 01-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #163
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I haven't seen this yet but, one thing thing I'd never do is compare a new film made today to one made in the 90's - stylistically, the eras are worlds apart. Texas Chainsaw III, while not a very good movie, is still preferable (to me, at least) to anything made today because what they're making now are essentially really long music videos. It's all about the visuals, fancy editing, and now 3D gimmickry that enhances the film in absolutely zero ways. Eye candy, nothing more. I'll always prefer low-rent production values and slow-burn storytelling over 40 million dollars worth of gimmicks. I'm still going to watch the latest TCM (and the upcoming demon possession flick based on Sam Raimi's original Evil Dead - sorry, can't just call it the ED remake) but only because there's nothing else worth watching.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #164
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
I haven't seen this yet but, one thing thing I'd never do is compare a new film made today to one made in the 90's - stylistically, the eras are worlds apart. Texas Chainsaw III, while not a very good movie, is still preferable (to me, at least) to anything made today because what they're making now are essentially really long music videos. It's all about the visuals, fancy editing, and now 3D gimmickry that enhances the film in absolutely zero ways. Eye candy, nothing more. I'll always prefer low-rent production values and slow-burn storytelling over 40 million dollars worth of gimmicks. I'm still going to watch the latest TCM (and the upcoming demon possession flick based on Sam Raimi's original Evil Dead - sorry, can't just call it the ED remake) but only because there's nothing else worth watching.
I generally feel this way to the slick new productions today, they're pretty pictures but lacking the the reality or charm of the older era of horror films. But this new one surprised me in that regard because in its story and presentation it very much does feel like a product of that bygone era. It's earnest, nothing wink wink about it (well, maybe that SAW burn, but that was hilarious). It was just a legitimately good time, and not for any nostalgic reasons or anything like that. It's a true rarity in today's crop of horror. It's bad, good, scary and fun all at once.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #165
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
As likely this board's biggest fan of Jason Takes Manhattan, I'd appreciate it if you never compare it to the likes of TC3D.

In this case, that's like saying Citizen Kane and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked were separated at birth.
As a big fan of Citizen Kane, I'd appreciate it if you never compare it to the likes of Jason Takes Manhattan.